Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those who go back...?

Those who go back...?

Old Sep 10th 2004, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Those who go back...?

I personally do not like the trend here of building houses all squashed up close together, but thats just my taste. I dont htink it is fair to slag Aus off for modern housing estates though. What choice do they have? We forget that this is a very young country by world standards. It cannot possibly have the array of old and character built houses that Europe has. It hasnt been around long enough.

I was thinking about the comments made about those who are unhappy and want to go home, who are too scared to post here. I dont think its fair to say they would get a slagging off. I cant remember anyone coming on here who hs opened up their heart and expressed their feelings being abused. Those who come on and abuse Australia, making sweeping generalisations and assuming everyone who comes here will have the same opinion and if they dont they must be somehow inferior to them, really are opening themselves up for it, but genuine sadness, loneliness and heartache is never ridiculed as far as i am aware. (might be wrong)
Old Sep 10th 2004, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Badge].

I can sometimes tell who will fit in here, and who won't; sounds awful but I am a fairly good judge of character - I've spent years mixing with all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds, priveleged/non privileged
cheers

QUOTE]

Are you coming to the Sydney meet-up?? I would love to know if I will fit in!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb
The suburbs may well be full of big houses, but I personally don't feel like I have to have a big house and big car to be accepted. From my experience people have a lot more respect for you if you are just out there doing things.
I agree. Success here is not measured by the size of your house. Anyone can have a big house if they want one badly enough and are prepared to travel far enough - it's no big deal. Owning a suburban McMansion is not really viewed as being the pinnacle of successful achievement.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickyc
I agree. Success here is not measured by the size of your house. Anyone can have a big house if they want one badly enough and are prepared to travel far enough - it's no big deal. Owning a suburban McMansion is not really viewed as being the pinnacle of successful achievement.
They are out there in souless places lacking in life and public transport. The McMansion stuff depends on ones peer group. It is good to see Strathfield heritage listing a lot of the Federation and Californian bungalows in the area. If you maintain the character of the area it is good for all.

I saw a great 1940s 2 bedroom house built on Sandstone foundations the other day in Gordon. All the original 1950s decoration but all I could hear from the viewers was the possibilities of the 6 bedroom monstrosity to put in place. The place would have been perfect, near a train station etc but at over 700,000 no chance for me.

One great thing about housing here is the lack of mock tudor.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:16 am

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...530772050.html

Township put on hold as councillors clash

By Darren Goodsir, Urban Affairs Editor
September 10, 2004

One of Sydney's biggest councils will decide later this month whether to go ahead with a stalled 6000-home development after a visit to the site yesterday by a Carr Government minister to investigate complaints about a lack of public transport.

The Balmoral Road estate, a 525-hectare "hole in the doughnut" between Old Windsor Road and Windsor Road at Kellyville, has been on hold for the past few months.

The Mayor of Baulkham Hills, Sonya Phillips, four other councillors and local government planners want the plans for the 15,500-strong township to go on display in the first stage of a prolonged approval process. But seven other elected representatives have blocked the scheme.

"What we are asking for recognises the likelihood that we won't get a rail link out here for another 20 years or so," Cr Harty said. "What is being proposed would exacerbate enormously the traffic problems that we already have, and I don't think we should be getting any of the blame for the failure of previous councils to take appropriate action."

A spokeswoman for Mr Knowles said the minister believed the Hills was "part of a fast growing area and that this growth cannot be held back".
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bondipom

I think the Tuscan, Federation etc etc facades at Homeworld make up for that....

OK, maybe not.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Unfortunately, i have see the odd mock tudor dotted around Adelaide, but no matter where they build one, it will never look right to my eye! Saying that, they never looked right in the UK either unless they were the genuine article.

Some of the new house designs are very attractive, but personally, i will never live in a street where theres a house that looks like an industrial warehouse or a UFO !! :scared:
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Hi Guys
Im afraid I don't post much on here anymore, still visit the site quite abit to see how you are all getting on!

We are still plodding on with job hunting even after almost 16 months, We came here with the view that if hubby couldn't get a job as a gas fitter then he would do anything! wrong, it's not even that easy to get a job sweeping the streets!!! something has always come up though even if it is just for a couple of months, I do think about returning to the UK but to be honest I probably feel more like, why the hell did we do this we want to be here but the savings are dwindling quickly, how long do we have to keep hitting brick walls before we give up.

Lots of other problems have happened which could happen anywhere, so really it's just the job situation that gets us down.

Still fighting back though

yve
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:41 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by abergas
Hi Guys
Im afraid I don't post much on here anymore, still visit the site quite abit to see how you are all getting on!

We are still plodding on with job hunting even after almost 16 months, We came here with the view that if hubby couldn't get a job as a gas fitter then he would do anything! wrong, it's not even that easy to get a job sweeping the streets!!! something has always come up though even if it is just for a couple of months, I do think about returning to the UK but to be honest I probably feel more like, why the hell did we do this we want to be here but the savings are dwindling quickly, how long do we have to keep hitting brick walls before we give up.

Lots of other problems have happened which could happen anywhere, so really it's just the job situation that gets us down.

Still fighting back though

yve
Success lies one step beyond the last time you picked yourself up.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

LOl, please tell me that was sarcasm
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by hevs
LOl, please tell me that was sarcasm
There are many offences to my aesthetics in Sydney housing but I rarely see Mock Tudor. Then again I don't spend much time in the burbia.

Is it Mock Melbourne Tudor?
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Unfortunately, i have see the odd mock tudor dotted around Adelaide, but no matter where they build one, it will never look right to my eye! Saying that, they never looked right in the UK either unless they were the genuine article.

Some of the new house designs are very attractive, but personally, i will never live in a street where theres a house that looks like an industrial warehouse or a UFO !! :scared:
There's a mock tudor on in Mulalloo, right by the beach.
My wife and I call it the "Berni Inn"
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

There are many offences to my aesthetics in Sydney housing but I rarely see Mock Tudor. Then again I don't spend much time in the burbia.

Is it Mock Melbourne Tudor?
Me and my boss were going on a course and were driving down Toorak rd and she commented on the lovely "old" buildings. Yep, if tudor is herringbone bricks and (very new straight) black beams theres plenty.

Down in the burbs of Berwick theres an absolute shocker white painted with more black beams than in Blackadders home, complete with triangular leaded windows. Even my kids comment on its grossness!! Totally offensive and uneccesary In the same estate theres a kind of semi detatched clump of them, with tudor stylee balconies
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jayr
Errr..don't knock the lettuce threads!

The lettuce threads are firstly ironic, at least ABCD and I seem to think so anyway.

Secondly lettuce is a good economic barometer, it is one of those goods that respond directly to demand and supply. One week a lettuce will be $4, the next week 98c, similar in the UK. Aus is better at 'correctly' pricing based on supply and demand, you only need to see how many times in a single day the petrol price changes to notice that.

I don't think there is one contributor to the Lettuce Threads who actually seriously uses the price of lettuce to knock Australia.
Ok... take a chill pill. I too was only joking about lettice. What is it with this place!!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:32 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by darkless
Ok... take a chill pill. I too was only joking about lettice. What is it with this place!!
I take it that was said tounge in cheek too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.