Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those who go back...?

Those who go back...?

Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Those who go back...?

[QUOTE=Sandra]Totally agree....in my good times here

I came here at 37 and left the good mates I can really count on one hand back in the UK...I never thought I would find it that hard without them....but I do....now the ones I wished to get to know better might be going back???? Shit I am not hard done by but who makes close friends at 40?

[QUOTE]

Well, I hope to make some close friends, but it'll take a long while, I know. I don't think it's impossible even though I'm not that far from the dreaded age. I thought that was when "life" begins?

But seriously, I like the forum, it gives me a bit of a reality check. I tend to sail along thinking everything's fine. But you never know when you may be struck by homesickness or something happens to make you long for family and friends in the UK.

Just one more thing....what does PB mean?
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:45 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here long enough for the novelty value to have worn off. I'm happy here for the time being. Our reasons for coming were not the usual weather,beach,pool & big house.
In the time I've been here I've met with 3 expat couples who are really not settled and haven't adjusted at all. They all posted on the forum at some point but have ceased to even read it now. All give the same reason, if your feeling low and post accordingly your torn to pieces by people who think you should be happy just to be here.
I knock this place for it's "nanny state" attitude, it's over governed by dishonest liars in both main parties. Just like U.K and USA. Life is hard up here it's not everyone cup of tea. I'm still enjoying the challenges it sets when I cease to do that I'll really let you all know about it
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:46 pm
kong

Originally Posted by chocaholic
[what does PB mean?
If only you knew..

Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kong
I do try my best to stop the flow of pounds sterling to DIMIA, the risk of familly breakdowns once the myth of Oz has turned to dust. I get insults and slander, yet all I do is quote (mainly Aussiie) media about the darkside of Australia.

I can take all the crap that gets thrown at me, rather amusing to see the "Aussie witnesses" get their knickers in a twist because they have read some proper news stories, not some half baked thread from a punter who has only been in Oz 2 mins going on about how coles is better than Tescos!!

I mean how drunk on your new country can you be to come out with crap like that??

Maybe Jad they will listen to you more as you are an Aussie (who can knock his own country) They should be thankful to have first hand stories from such a rare breed!! No offence mate, but you must know what I mean!!

I prefer my image to be an australian who can be honest about his country and provides some balance to the wistful witterings of some of the Poets we get on here
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:47 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=chocaholic]
Originally Posted by Sandra
Pommie Bastard. User ID of famed poster from the old days, lived in Perth arse end of the planet until his return to UK.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Don
Pommie Bastard. User ID of famed poster from the old days, lived in Perth arse end of the planet until his return to UK.
Thanks Don.....I never would have guessed that one!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that part of my problem is that I have never believed anything I have read in a British newspaper. I am not about to start believing Aussie ones. They all have their own agenda. Presumably there may be some truth in what they are saying but statistics can be made to prove anything.

What interests me - call me sad - is finding out that flights Aus - UK are very expensive. Until I found this forum I just assumed
that they would be the same. Now I know. Also assumed - really must stop doing that - that shopping would be similar. WRONG!!! General day to day grievances are worth a lot. Lots of other stuff is general world wide - don't matter where you are the government and big brother officials will shit on you from a great height. Never expected that to be different in Aus so don't necessarily need telling.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:53 pm
kong

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've been here long enough for the novelty value to have worn off. I'm happy here for the time being. Our reasons for coming were not the usual weather,beach,pool & big house.
In the time I've been here I've met with 3 expat couples who are really not settled and haven't adjusted at all. They all posted on the forum at some point but have ceased to even read it now. All give the same reason, if your feeling low and post accordingly your torn to pieces by people who think you should be happy just to be here.
I knock this place for it's "nanny state" attitude, it's over governed by dishonest liars in both main parties. Just like U.K and USA. Life is hard up here it's not everyone cup of tea. I'm still enjoying the challenges it sets when I cease to do that I'll really let you all know about it
I had always considered Britain to be a nanny state, when compared to its continental cousins. A year in Oz made me realise the true meaning of petty rules, laws and bureaucracy. Britain may not be perfect, but compared to the mind numbing, insular suburban outlook of Oz, it knocks the crap out of "Godzone".

Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171975
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:01 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Don.....I never would have guessed that one!
Here to help
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think that part of my problem is that I have never believed anything I have read in a British newspaper. I am not about to start believing Aussie ones. They all have their own agenda. Presumably there may be some truth in what they are saying but statistics can be made to prove anything.
I just knew as soon as I put Kongs stuff came from aussie newspapers someone would say that!

Trouble is a lot of Kongs stats figures come from government research, but being in a country run by 2 used car salesmen and a violent thug you could be right
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Same old argument.... always boring!!!

I am sorry, but I think that every 10th post on the forum must at some point degenerate into a slanging match on what people have or haven't the right to say when expressing their opinions.

Everyone has the right to say what they want! Fact!

Those who have followed the forum will know that you always take kongs copy and paste out of Aussie papers (which could be equaly as tabloid-like as The Sun for all we know) with a pinch of salt. Likewise those who come on dreaming of mortgage feee living and endless days sunning themselves on the beach planning their next BBQ are also too quite far of the normal day to day realitiy of living in OZ.

What I would say however is that regardless of what anyone posts on here I firmly believe that the majoiry of people will continue with their plans regardless. If moving out to OZ, many people will have faced immense emotioanal pressure from family not to go, so it is extremely doubtful that some article in the local rag in OZ saying that there is polution in a suberb of Sydney, etc, etc, is likley to put them off. Likewise those who are planning to come home, are unlikely to be convinced by the BBQ-dreamers to stay.

We all make decision in life on which direction to take - for many this will mean moving to OZ and living a happy and full life there. For others they may come back - fine, at least they can look back and say 'well we tried it, it wasnt for us, but at least we wont spend the rest of our lives thinking what-if'

Dave
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:21 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!
I think the problem starts when people read things differently from others. Sometimes when quotes are taken as a moan instead of a cry for help.
All of a sudden they are shot down in flames at a time when they are most fragile. It tends to turn them away from forum that can help them. Little niggly things mount up and soon become a major problem. If spotted and sorted or helped they don’t become so big.
I don’t see the point in telling someone who is clearly have problems that they are talking shit, I either ignore it or try to give advice. Most of the time I don’t read the “going home� threads because I know it will be full of arguments. So far this one hasn’t been too bad.
We are lucky and have settled really well, I know there will be probs ahead. There is no chance of me airing them on here because I will just get ridiculed. That’s why I think the expats meets are a great thing. You can speak to people and because you are face to face they won’t hide behind a keyboard and have a go at you.

soapy
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by soapy
You can speak to people and because you are face to face they won’t hide behind a keyboard and have a go at you.

soapy

Think you may have hit the nail on the head my friend!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Bondipom - V. amuzing. People with strong views are good for the forum - I don't mean people who slag everything off - just people who don't mind writing down their viewpoints. If we were all - "oh, everything is just perfect" - it would be boring and unbelievable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.