Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Originally Posted by Margaret3
ooooooooops , just seen this, vicz moving i think, it was summit to do with the kitchen is the reason.
I think you'll find it was what came out of the kitchen is the reason.....

Buzzy
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:00 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I agree,, we went Vics shop and were very disappointed, having got used to (very!!) large portions of chips here now we were surprised to open the box and find a very small portion of extremely soggy chips I also had a battered prawn but it was nothing special.

I always enjoyed his chips'n'haggis,(his haggis was from robs in dandenong, which is about the best haggis ave tasted, makes me laugh though, you have to come all the way to oz for a good haggis) and the portion was lge, although admittadly i did find it a tad expensive
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Sorry mate, I disagree. Every time we or people we know went in there his shop was empty.

We tried his fish and chips and they were no different to standard ozzie fish and chips - ie reheated frozen chips and tiny fish with no guts to them. Yet he charged double the price an ozzie shop would charge for the same disappointing experience.

Plus he was in Dandenong and to run a fish and chip shop you can't rely on the odd few Brits travelling from all across Victoria, you need regular weekly local and passing trade. So he should have been somewhere like Mornington where there is a massive British population for his "British Fish and Chips" marketing (even if the product didn't live up to the name....).

So in answer to the OP - if you want to open a fish and chip shop in Perth - put it in an area where there is a predominant British population, and make sure its twice as good as the ozzie fish and chips. This means serving chunky large pieces of fish and potatos cut up in your shop, not pre-frozen.

Buzzy

gotta admit i wouldnt travel far for fish'n'chips, lucky he wasnt too farr away, anyway buzzy each to his own, i was in mordiallic the other day...............as i said each to his own
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
gotta admit i wouldnt travel far for fish'n'chips, lucky he wasnt too farr away, anyway buzzy each to his own, i was in mordiallic the other day...............as i said each to his own
The fish and chips in Mordialloc are equally crap, but at least they don't pretend to be something special for a premium price.

I had very good fish and chips today at a cafe in Flinders - best I have had since I've been in Oz.

Buzzy
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:00 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
I miss a decent steak pie - with no bloody onions in it.
I miss a steak pie with chunky steak pieces in it
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:05 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
So in answer to the OP - if you want to open a fish and chip shop in Perth - put it in an area where there is a predominant British population, and make sure its twice as good as the ozzie fish and chips. This means serving chunky large pieces of fish and potatos cut up in your shop, not pre-frozen.

Buzzy
You can buy (or used to be able to buy) commercial potato chippers. We used one where I worked. Also white vinegar sprayed on chips is for the pretensious. Real MALT vinegar is the go
PS: U also gotta sell decent tarty pickled onions!! Crunchy ones with BITE. Not those lame sweet brown spiced things
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Not forgetting steak and kidney pudding