car shipping

Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:13 pm
andy

kenneally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car shipping

moving to brisbane soon but iam thinking whether to ship my car over, anyone any ideas whether it is worth doing as i have heard the cars over there are quite pricey. its going to be about an extra 2 grand to ship it over and then there is the import tax.which i am not sure about.probably lose about 5 grand selling it here, i am a bit unsure what to do, any info would be great
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:18 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car shipping

Originally Posted by kenneally
moving to brisbane soon but iam thinking whether to ship my car over, anyone any ideas whether it is worth doing as i have heard the cars over there are quite pricey. its going to be about an extra 2 grand to ship it over and then there is the import tax.which i am not sure about.probably lose about 5 grand selling it here, i am a bit unsure what to do, any info would be great
What car is it...?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:22 pm
andy

kenneally is an unknown quantity at this point

2 year old bmw 320i
Old Jun 8th 2008, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Work out how much it will cost you and if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Prestige european cars such as BMW and Audi are a lot more expensive out here and hold their money well. For what you pay for a six year old car out here you could get a 2 year old car back in the U.K.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:28 am
Just Joined

clarkie7000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Work out how much it will cost you and if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Prestige european cars such as BMW and Audi are a lot more expensive out here and hold their money well. For what you pay for a six year old car out here you could get a 2 year old car back in the U.K.
Check out http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371 they have loads of info on there. I think you will have to pay the Luxury Car Tax (LCT), but give them a call. I did last month and there was no long hold and the guy who answered the phone was actually able to answer my questions.
I plan to tak my down with me at the end of July (taking a 2004 Peugeot 307 SW from Singapore). I'll let you know how I get on.

Good luck with yours.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:39 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kenneally
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=car+import
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:14 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: car shipping

Don't be fooled by the apparent huge difference in resale of your UK car here. In short the answer is that it is rarely "worth it" financially, if you are thinking importing it to sell it here, as most dealers will not touch a Personal Import (part of their way of maintaining a monopoly on Importing cars) and they will generally fetch less than officially imported (i.e. Dealer) cars on the second hand market.

Some people can potentially make money (on some rare marques) but in general you should only import your car 1) if you can't buy it in Australia and/or 2) you love it so much you can't bare to live without it and buying one here isn't an option.

Of the hundreds of people who have contacted me in the past 15 months asking for advice on this very few have attempted it and only one has made money (on paper) that I know of. The government have architected the process and tax so that it is highly unlikely that you will find it profitable.

That version of my article on Importing your car is out of date. This is the most current version.

http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar

Please note that this is relative to importing into Victoria from the UK, but 90% of the procedure and costs are the same regardless of where you import it in Oz.

I hope you find it useful

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jun 8th 2008 at 7:21 am.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Don't be fooled by the apparent huge difference in resale of your UK car here. In short the answer is that it is rarely "worth it" financially, if you are thinking importing it to sell it here, as most dealers will not touch a Personal Import (part of their way of maintaining a monopoly on Importing cars) and they will generally fetch less than officially imported (i.e. Dealer) cars on the second hand market.

Some people can potentially make money (on some rare marques) but in general you should only import your car 1) if you can't buy it in Australia and/or 2) you love it so much you can't bare to live without it and buying one here isn't an option.

Of the hundreds of people who have contacted me in the past 15 months asking for advice on this very few have attempted it and only one has made money (on paper) that I know of. The government have architected the process and tax so that it is highly unlikely that you will find it profitable.

That version of my article on Importing your car is out of date. This is the most current version.

http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar

Please note that this is relative to importing into Victoria from the UK, but 90% of the procedure and costs are the same regardless of where you import it in Oz.

I hope you find it useful

Al
Hi
I just read your attachment and my OH will be very interested when he sees it later, he has a Audi 1.8t (190) s line quattro 2004 and has been debating for quite a while if we should take it or not, looks a good possibility now.Handy also as we are more than likely going to come to Vic.
Many thanks
Michelle
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi clarkie7000, do keep us posted of your progress. But, seeing how cars are so incredibly more expensive in Singapore, wouldn't it be more worth your while to sell it, recoup some cost (or minimize the losses) & purchase a new marque in Oz?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

mato has a spectacular aura aboutmato has a spectacular aura aboutmato has a spectacular aura about

How about 'classic' cars - are they treated any differently? I have a 1991 Porsche 928 S4 which will fetch bugger all in the UK. If it's worth say 6K there, it might be worth shipping out. I hear they are more popular here than back home.