Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all
Default Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Hi all
I have been toying with the idea of opening up a fish and chip shop in the northen suburbs in WA selling proper cut chips and proper battered fish also the old favs curry sauce/gravy and mushy peas iv been in the catering trade for near on 20 years now and feel there is a need for a good old fashioned english style chippy.
It would be great to hear your views on this and any ideas or suggestions in what you would be looking for in a good chippie.

Thanks
Neil
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Sounds good to me!

I've heard 'the potatoes' here aren't right for 'proper' chips - but i've had 'proper' chips in perth city (made from frozen chips too, he double fries apparently !!) so I'm sure it can be done.

have to say, miss the chinese takeaway more though

Karen
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
Sounds good to me!

I've heard 'the potatoes' here aren't right for 'proper' chips - but i've had 'proper' chips in perth city (made from frozen chips too, he double fries apparently !!) so I'm sure it can be done.

have to say, miss the chinese takeaway more though

Karen
I make 'proper' chips from the potatos i buy here. Very nice too. Deep fried.

Anyone opening a 'proper' fish and chip shop here in OZ would make a killing.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I cooked 'proper' chips last night.. just in olive oil the only difference. The spuds were great!!!

Good luck to you OP...
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

There are enough Poms in Perth surely to make this a successful venture and once word gets round...

Why do you miss Chinese Takeaway? Is there none near you, or this not popular in Perth?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kiwinow
There are enough Poms in Perth surely to make this a successful venture and once word gets round...

Why do you miss Chinese Takeaway? Is there none near you, or this not popular in Perth?
Loads of chinky's here. Not come across a nice one yet.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

There is a guy called Vic on Britvics who opened one here in Melbourne, he has closed it down now but it wasn't through the lack of customers, everyone was travelling from all across Victoria to visit him. You could ask him for advice.
In regards to chinese, I must admit it took us 3 years to find a good one and as for a good old UK indian we have given up trying
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neiluk
Hi all
I have been toying with the idea of opening up a fish and chip shop in the northen suburbs in WA selling proper cut chips and proper battered fish also the old favs curry sauce/gravy and mushy peas iv been in the catering trade for near on 20 years now and feel there is a need for a good old fashioned english style chippy.
It would be great to hear your views on this and any ideas or suggestions in what you would be looking for in a good chippie.

Thanks
Neil
We live in Tapping and have three great "chippies" to choose from in the area. Both the fish and the chips are great (chips are "real" not "reconstituted").

So, I'd say make sure you do your research before opening one, i.e. make sure there really isn't one just around the corner from where you're planning to be.

Gina
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
We live in Tapping and have three great "chippies" to choose from in the area. Both the fish and the chips are great (chips are "real" not "reconstituted").

So, I'd say make sure you do your research before opening one, i.e. make sure there really isn't one just around the corner from where you're planning to be.

Gina
The best Fish and Chips I have had NOR is from a place in Kingsley, always fresh and really nice. I dont know what oil they use but it makes the F&C's taste so much better than what I have had here in the UK.

Good luck with your new venture.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

Well if you decide to do it we will have -

Fish and Chips twice with a portion of curry sauce

Oh and 2 buttered bread cakes!!!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
There is a guy called Vic on Britvics who opened one here in Melbourne, he has closed it down now but it wasn't through the lack of customers, everyone was travelling from all across Victoria to visit him.
Sorry mate, I disagree. Every time we or people we know went in there his shop was empty.

We tried his fish and chips and they were no different to standard ozzie fish and chips - ie reheated frozen chips and tiny fish with no guts to them. Yet he charged double the price an ozzie shop would charge for the same disappointing experience.

Plus he was in Dandenong and to run a fish and chip shop you can't rely on the odd few Brits travelling from all across Victoria, you need regular weekly local and passing trade. So he should have been somewhere like Mornington where there is a massive British population for his "British Fish and Chips" marketing (even if the product didn't live up to the name....).

So in answer to the OP - if you want to open a fish and chip shop in Perth - put it in an area where there is a predominant British population, and make sure its twice as good as the ozzie fish and chips. This means serving chunky large pieces of fish and potatos cut up in your shop, not pre-frozen.

Buzzy
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:18 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
There is a guy called Vic on Britvics who opened one here in Melbourne, he has closed it down now but it wasn't through the lack of customers, everyone was travelling from all across Victoria to visit him. You could ask him for advice.
In regards to chinese, I must admit it took us 3 years to find a good one and as for a good old UK indian we have given up trying
Visited Christchurch a few years ago and there was a Balti house run by a couple of lads from Bradford, it was fanbloodytastic. Just thinking it's not that far if you compare to flying all the way back to the UK
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Loads of chinky's here. Not come across a nice one yet.
Drop that word from your vocabulary.

You're not in the UK anymore.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking of opening /fish&chip shop

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Drop that word from your vocabulary.

You're not in the UK anymore.
I thought they were going to Perth

Buzzy
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do the chippy's still close at 8pm in Perth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.