Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you should know before moving down under...

Things you should know before moving down under...

Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you should know before moving down under...

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
There is an anomaly in the system though, that people can pass their skills assessment for their visa but are then unable to get licensed without further training.This doesn't happen with nursing & it shouldn't be allowed to happen for the trades. I really do believe that this is an area that needs to be reviewed quite urgently.
But it is essential that the immigrant tradesmen are brought up to the Australian standards before being allowed to work.

(Yes, I *am* joking.)
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
But it is essential that the immigrant tradesmen are brought up to the Australian standards before being allowed to work.

(Yes, I *am* joking.)

There could be some sort of system that ensured that people were aware of what they would need to do in order to work licensed in Aus, perhaps associated with the ACS assessment. I now know of two people in Cairns alone who have been frustrated at every turn in their efforts to become licensed in their trade. It really is not a great system.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by willamos
These are a few things (cautionary tales) I think Brits should be aware of before embarking on life down under. Please add to them if you can think of more things and/or modifications:

* Moving country does not fix all issues in your life. This should be obvious but I get the impression from reading some stuff on here that a lot of people actually believe it will.

* Australia is NOT devoid of a large, large number of the UK's problems. If you believe that Australia is a crime-free zone, for example, you may be disappointed. Stuff happens here all the time (Quoll recently reported some fairly random shootings/stabbings near where she is in Canberra on another thread) and the idea that these things are unique to Manchester or London is silly. Where I am there was a mugging at knife-point not three minutes from where I live recently and there is a MAJOR vandalism and 'tagging' problem. It's supposed to be a nice area though, so would hate to be in a dodgy area like Broadmeadows, parts of Frankston, Dandenong or Footscray.

* The weather is different in Australia, but not NECESSARILY better. In Melbourne, the climate is surprisingly similar to the UK (unpredictable and often cold and windy) and whilst the summer is longer and warmer than in the UK, the really hot days (40 plus) are very uncomfortable and you cannot really enjoy them as being outside in that heat is unbearable. You have the risk of bush fires at one end of the country and serious flooding at the other. Tasmania can get both. If you are moving for the weather (this seems to be a major life priority for a lot of people, which is quite foreign to me personally) be careful where you go to.

* It is impossible to predict prior to leaving what and who you will miss - and how much. You may find yourself missing things more than you think. It is easy to be in Britain, amidst all the British moaning and complaining, and think that there is nothing you will miss. It is very easy to misjudge this and only see the light, so to speak, once you are 10,000 miles away.

* If you are in a mixed nationality relationship (which may well be the very reason for the move) you can find yourself feeling quite trapped/stifled by being surrounded by your partner's family/friends constantly, especially when you do not have any of your own around.
Why are there so many negative posts on this forum???
I know many people who have made the move and it has changed their lives considerably for the better. It has brightened up their lives. It is a great place so why slate it.
Of course it has its problems but so does everywhere but would you choose scarborough over sydney???
It also depends on your attitude to life. If you go with a negative attitude (and there seems to be quite a few of those on here) you will moan and complain and see the bad side of most things but if you go with a positive attitude and you will be fine. You make it what it is.
The same can be said for the cost of living. I know plenty of happy poor(er) people in Oz but lots of unhappy people with loads of dosh who moan non-stop.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Why are there so many negative posts on this forum??? I know many people who have made the move and it has changed their lives considerably for the better. It has brightened up their lives. It is a great place so why slate it.
Of course it has its problems but so does everywhere but would you choose scarborough over sydney???
It also depends on your attitude to life. If you go with a negative attitude (and there seems to be quite a few of those on here) you will moan and complain and see the bad side of most things but if you go with a positive attitude and you will be fine. You make it what it is.
The same can be said for the cost of living. I know plenty of happy poor(er) people in Oz but lots of unhappy people with loads of dosh who moan non-stop.
...because not everybody makes a success of the move to Australia and to think that by just having a positive attitude means you are guaranteed of success, is a bit simplistic. Figures at the moment suggest that for roughly every 10,000 Brits arriving, 2,600 are leaving and it's a safe bet that not many of those returnees every thought they would be going home again when they set out on the migration process.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:51 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

MMM,

I thought there was already a "Tradies thread".

In response to the original purpose of this thread;

Be prepared for difficult times, especially for finding work; employers will shy away from the additional aggro of reference checking Etc. with someone in the UK, where you would have built your reputation.

Australia is a big place, choose where you want to settle very carefully; it will be a very expensive mistake (both financially and emotionally)if you get it wrong, use forums such as this for personal opinions and write to/email as many businesses, tourist info, council dept's as you can, make the correspondence as personal as you can; you'll be surprised at the amount of "real" responses you get as most Aussies are a good bunch and honest.

Research, research and research, once you have found where you want to be you will know.

Commitment and dedication, without this you will fail, be prepared for a battle with yourself.

Accept Change, Aus is different, deal with it, you cannot change it to where you have come from.

Fires, floods, drought, violence, traffic, remoteness, vandalism, dust, dangerous creatures, ex-pats, expensive, cheap, hot, cold, boring , exciting,Etc, Etc, these can be found in varying degrees anywhere in the world, by moving to Aus you will not be getting away from all of them.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:02 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
Research, research and research, once you have found where you want to be you will know.
People don't tend to do enough of it considering the big move they are making.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:04 am
Account Closed

MMM,

I thought there was already a "Tradies thread".

In response to the original purpose of this thread;

Be prepared for difficult times, especially for finding work; employers will shy away from the additional aggro of reference checking Etc. with someone in the UK, where you would have built your reputation.

Australia is a big place, choose where you want to settle very carefully; it will be a very expensive mistake (both financially and emotionally)if you get it wrong, use forums such as this for personal opinions and write to/email as many businesses, tourist info, council dept's as you can, make the correspondence as personal as you can; you'll be surprised at the amount of "real" responses you get as most Aussies are a good bunch and honest.

Commitment and dedication, without this you will fail, be prepared for a battle with yourself.

Accept Change, Aus is different, deal with it, you cannot change it to where you have come from.

Fires, floods, drought, violence, traffic, remoteness, vandalism, dust, dangerous creatures, ex-pats, expensive, cheap, hot, cold, boring , exciting,Etc, Etc, these can be found in varying degrees anywhere in the world, by moving to Aus you will not be getting away from all of them.
Are you still in Essex?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:34 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Are you still in Essex?
Yes, and for some while to come based on the recent DIAC changes.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:43 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

You do have to wonder what relaxed work life people are used too when comparing to Oz. I think on most its a reality check that the world has moved on from 9 to 5.

It is clearly not just the Gen Y who are me me me?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mecheng
People don't tend to do enough of it considering the big move they are making.
You will find plenty of people on here who will tell you that no amount of research makes any difference to the reality of the migration process. The act of living in Australia can't really be researched in any practical way other than actually living here.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I know many people who have made the move and it has changed their lives considerably for the better. It has brightened up their lives. It is a great place so why slate it.
The negative posts are as valuable as the positive ones mate.

Australia isn't for everyone and we can learn as much from these as the positive posts

MMM, I thought there was already a "Tradies thread"..
This thread is with regards to things people should know before moving down under. Given the amount of tradies who come across this once they have moved, and the heartache it causes, it is worth knowing beforehand.

...........Australia is a big place, choose where you want to settle very carefully; it will be a very expensive mistake (both financially and emotionally)if you get it wrong, use forums such as this for personal opinions and write to/email as many businesses, tourist info, council dept's as you can, make the correspondence as personal as you can; you'll be surprised at the amount of "real" responses you get as most Aussies are a good bunch and honest.

Very wise words. Presume you've already fought the battle and lived here mate?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

There is a post recently entitled "What makes people give up life in the UK?". There have been a significant number of responses to the post and in one way or another, this post and the other could be linked together.

In the last 18 months or so, many people moved down under for economic reasons. Australia is one of few countries in the world to have escaped recession. The banks have also been in a healthy state, while banks in the UK are actually the walking dead, and would have been dead without state or govt support.

I posted on the What makes people give up life in the UK that more people will be leaving, not neccesarily to down under, when taxes go up next year, regardless of who becomes PM after the election. The bailoits caused a massive black hole and the Olympic is a disaster for London.

While Australia is far from perfect and is not without its own problems, it does offer people the opportunity to start a new life without having to pay more tax for bank bailouts.

For the UK, a revolution equal to if not greater than the French Revolution of 1789 is necessary to change the fortune of the country.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Can I borrow your crystal ball?
Who says the olympics will be a disaster????

I say again, you do not know how you will truly feel until you are here, no amount of research can truly prepare you!
If you get here & find that it is not for you, so what? You had the guts to do what many dream of but don't have the cojones to carry out. Even if you go back, it is a triumph, you have dared to go there & will always have gained from the experience!
For some, it is an unresounded success, for others, so the wrong thing but the majority of us are somewhere in between a very broad margin!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think I agree with you
I was just thinking that
I agree with that too.
And I have to agree with that one.
You're in a very agreeing mood

Must be the weather.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:36 am
ABCDiamond

Because most people who migrate probably settle in and never use the forums again, unless they get the homesickness bug etc, and want to re-connect.

Hence a higher proportion of posters with what may be termed "negativity".

23,236 permanent migrants arrived from UK in 2007/08. How many PR's are on here ?

And that number does not include the 21,040 457 Visa applicants from the UK, who also frequent the forums.

Thats about 44,000 people every year arriving, not counting students...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.