Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you get used to.........

Wikiposts

Things you get used to.........

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you get used to.........

Hi Hevs, nice post

Don't have this stuff myself, probably cos I've moved so often, and I dunno, I just don't compare(except when on this forum, because half the forum is about comparing stuff!!).
But I can totally imagine you would if you've (mostly) lived in the same place all your life.

Wow, can't believe it's been 18 months already, I've been a member of this forum wayyyyyy to long!!! :scared:
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:30 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Fantastic post hevs

It's so good to hear when people settle, especially as a lot of emotional turmoil and expense goes into a move to the other side of the world

You've experienced all the normal emotions of ups and downs and thankfully you've come good at the other end

The key to settling here seems to be to accept Aus is different to the UK.
Food, schooling, jobs [money and culture] and weather are very different and Aus is not utopia either as crime still exists.....but over time it can become home if you want it to be and then, and only then, does it get better and better

To those who are unhappy, go where your heart is, wherever that may be. It's not failure to return "home". Home is where your heart is

All the best to your future in Aus hevs. Your positive attitude towards Aus will guarantee your success, cos it's the place you want to be!

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 10:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi,

Great to hear about kids in school , coz that is a concern to me, not a worry if we stay in Aus but if we really dont like it how they will fit back into the uk system particularly as 2 would be in the secondary system here. Did your children start school in UK or first in Aus?

Chris
They started in the UK they had just started years 2 and 5 in october 2003. They are now in term 2 of years 2 and 5 in April 2005!!!

I have to say that if we were to be going back it would be a worry if they were of secondary age...
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

My 18 yo asked me the other day why we hadn't had anyone over lately for a look-see with children his age and I explained that I think it's very difficult to relocate a teen/young adult. He thought about it for a minute & said "Yeah, it's real hard to move when you are my age." I'm very relieved we moved before he reached the age of not wanting to relocate anymore. Some of our friends relocated to Australia & then their children didn't like it & went back home. That's a bit hard when one of the reasons why you are moving here is for them.

Hevs thanks again for the encouraging thread. I'm much better today. Our Goldie was getting along a bit & we didn't like her chances in quarantine so we left her with her "second" family. They send me pics ever so often of her swimming in the pool with their son & I'm glad she's so happy, but I miss her very much at times.

Last edited by G'Day; Apr 24th 2005 at 10:37 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:32 am
Just Joined

expressos is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Swifts
you summed it up extremely well, once you accept it's different and not crap, things fall better into place, think you just lash out when the homesickness hits. 18 months already blimey, remember when you left the UK, we have done 10 months now and really do feel settled, esp with Mum and Dad having just been and seen the place for themselves, they loved it and that really helped.

My advice for homesickness or more peoplesickness for me, have a damn good cry to get it out your system then busy yourself or it could eat away at you - made sure we had busy week after they left last Fri and I've also been horseriding this evening (been along time since I was on a horse and sure I will feel it tomorrow!) anyway back to the point, you can get through it and feels great as you say if you don't fight it...live it, Thanks Hevs

Teresa
hi teresa

just thought that i would share that same feeling of trying to keep busy this week as my mum and dad have been here on a visit from england for one month had a lovley time

we have been in perth now for 9 months and did start to feel setteled but WOW
i feel really homesick now,but am trying hard to keep busy
im in a state of tears
theywent home friday morning
i have a 2 year old and 10 year old and they really loved having them here

my little one is really missing them now

still yhis is such a lovely country to live in and i will feel it again
soon i help
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Expressos, Teresas advice is good for sure. Also if you are in tears your kids are going to pick up on it. Go do something fun altogether and look forward to the next visit Good luck.

G'day, i know what you mean, they're only dogs but are still a part of your family left behind
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:28 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Thanks, but i stole it from a primal scream CD

Thanks for liking my post, i was aiming it to thos who are walloing in homesickness at the mo and to say that sometimes it does go away and when it does its ace
LOL, it should still be the Official Aus Forum catchphrase though methinks...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

I got used to the chocolate pretty quickly

Think Australian and you'll get used to things a lot faster than if you think British. After almost 18 months with no homesickness, people sickness or any other kind of sickness i'd say if you are having problems adjusting, look forwards and embrace it, not backwards you'll just make things all the harder

Lynn