Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you get used to.........

Wikiposts

Things you get used to.........

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you get used to.........

We've been here 18 months now and i'd just like to say hand on heart that i love it here now.

I have been really homesick and blamed it on Aus being crap, but it isn't crap its just different. The chocolate is starting to taste nice, i like beetroot cos its not canned in nasty vinegar and i even managed to go clothes shopping and got stuff that fits.

My top loader is still crap (though only a year old) and i will change it as soon as i have the money, my house is still a "renovators delight" but with the defasit of the move nearly over and the financial ground being made up we will have the money to fix it up very soon. I still miss central heating and double glazing, but have sourced both and it will be here soon, no more blue fingers to sit and type with

The kids school is slower and more relaxed, but my kids are happier and will turn out just the same as they would have in the UK going to school 18 months younger, again its just different...

Theres heaps more stuff that is different, but now i have accepted the fact that it is not crap, just different i'm ok with it all now and feel so much more happy and settled. I still miss people and that is sometimes still heartbreaking i am finding that we are all coping with it much better, but its still hard at times.

I suppose that i'm saying "don't fight it, feel it" and it can feel good if you let it. Roll on the next year and a half
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you get used to.........

Nice post. You sound very chilled Can't wait to get there but part of me is dreading the first year+ so much to look forward to but so much to feel really wierd. Bit like a death I guess, get the first anniversaries of things out of the way and the light at the end of the tunnel gets bigger and it's not a train
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:56 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

May not be too bad that the chocolate tastes so bad - I am sure that we all eat too much of the stuff anyway - I certainly do anyway and especially in the winter!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

you summed it up extremely well, once you accept it's different and not crap, things fall better into place, think you just lash out when the homesickness hits. 18 months already blimey, remember when you left the UK, we have done 10 months now and really do feel settled, esp with Mum and Dad having just been and seen the place for themselves, they loved it and that really helped.

My advice for homesickness or more peoplesickness for me, have a damn good cry to get it out your system then busy yourself or it could eat away at you - made sure we had busy week after they left last Fri and I've also been horseriding this evening (been along time since I was on a horse and sure I will feel it tomorrow!) anyway back to the point, you can get through it and feels great as you say if you don't fight it...live it, Thanks Hevs

Teresa
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Nice post. You sound very chilled Can't wait to get there but part of me is dreading the first year+ so much to look forward to but so much to feel really wierd. Bit like a death I guess, get the first anniversaries of things out of the way and the light at the end of the tunnel gets bigger and it's not a train
You've actually hit the nail on the head there MP,the "firsts" of every thing are hard.

But on the flip side of that this year we have a "history" the clash of Collingwood and Essendon on Anzac day is a huge event in Vic.Last year i was plumbing in a new dishwasher and the lady across the road bought me some home made Anzac biccies over (No, it wasn't Madge Bishop!!) It was raining and later we watched the game on the TV at my cousins house sat round the log fire. We will hopefully be doing it again this year (minus the fire cos its still warm) therefore next year it will become a "tradition"
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Swifts
you summed it up extremely well, once you accept it's different and not crap, things fall better into place,
My advice for homesickness or more peoplesickness for me, have a damn good cry to get it out your system then busy yourself or it could eat away at you - made sure we had busy week after they left last Fri and I've also been horseriding this evening (been along time since I was on a horse and sure I will feel it tomorrow!) anyway back to the point, you can get through it and feels great as you say if you don't fight it...live it, Thanks Hevs

Teresa
Thats ok

Great advice from you to Teresa. Once i got out to work i really started to turn a corner
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I suppose that i'm saying "don't fight it, feel it"
I have been known to utter those exact words
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Bix
I have been known to utter those exact words
DA BOSS, where are you???? He's starting again!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:35 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 18 months now and i'd just like to say hand on heart that i love it here now.

I have been really homesick and blamed it on Aus being crap, but it isn't crap its just different. The chocolate is starting to taste nice, i like beetroot cos its not canned in nasty vinegar and i even managed to go clothes shopping and got stuff that fits.

My top loader is still crap (though only a year old) and i will change it as soon as i have the money, my house is still a "renovators delight" but with the defasit of the move nearly over and the financial ground being made up we will have the money to fix it up very soon. I still miss central heating and double glazing, but have sourced both and it will be here soon, no more blue fingers to sit and type with

The kids school is slower and more relaxed, but my kids are happier and will turn out just the same as they would have in the UK going to school 18 months younger, again its just different...

Theres heaps more stuff that is different, but now i have accepted the fact that it is not crap, just different i'm ok with it all now and feel so much more happy and settled. I still miss people and that is sometimes still heartbreaking i am finding that we are all coping with it much better, but its still hard at times.

I suppose that i'm saying "don't fight it, feel it" and it can feel good if you let it. Roll on the next year and a half

Good for you...glad its all working out, i cant wait to be saying all those words myself..
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You're gobby enough already without copying Hevs words.

I sometimes wonder if this is a mothers meeting place
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:15 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I love this post; nice one Hevs.

You stuck it out and came out the other end, possibly slightly battered, but clearly optimistic about the future. This is really sound advice for all those who become homesick (I'm sure I will be amongst them).

I love the phrase, 'Don't fight it, feel it'. It sums things up in a nutshell. Perhaps that could become the official British Expats Aus Forum catch phrase!

Best of luck Hevs and Hup, and all other expats who are going through all this. Lets have more stories about your experiences!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:17 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
You're gobby enough already without copying Hevs words.

I sometimes wonder if this is a mothers meeting place
Cheeky bugger!!

Hiya Bixie hows you???
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by DIMO8
Cheeky bugger!!

Hiya Bixie hows you???
I am exceedingly better for having your company
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Bix
I am exceedingly better for having your company
Why Thank you kind Sir.......Go on i am waiting...why you being nice , What have you been up to
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I been to a party

My first Aus bday party

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.