Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:37 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Go and see Oasis on 4th Dec.
They are playing at Joondalup.

Foo Fighters are the support.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Go and see Oasis on 4th Dec.
They are playing at Joondalup.

Foo Fighters are the support.
Yes, and you can come to Melbourne for the 4 months prior
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:08 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Simone
What did you do in the UK?

Why would you visit anywhere more than once or twice every few years??!

You should be setting yourself this challenge. Problem is, you've come here with a negative view, and I don't think you're going to change that very easily. You're already talking about what your family does. There's more to Perth than that.
Also, you have kids now, doesn't that limit what you can do anyway? Or actually gives you more to do....

Some other things to do(once or twice) then

Maritime Museum Fremantle (consists of 3 parts: shipwreck galleries: donation. New museum: money(forget how much), really cool submarine tour: $8

Comedy Club night at the Hyde Park hotel: about $15 on Thursday night

Great Union Cinemas on a Tuesday: $7.40
Luna cinema's for some different movies.

Blues night at Charles st Hotel on Tuesdays (and Jazz at the Hyde Park hotel on same night I believe)

Pool and snooker everywhere.

Bike around the Swan
Bike around Herdsman Lake

Visit art galleries (in city, in Fremantle)

Visit museums(there's plenty, google em)

Have a sunday roast and listen to live music at Mundaring Weir Hotel.

Visit Toodyay (visit museums), take in Avon NP en route

Visit York

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites, and do a walk in Kitty's Gorge(nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), and visit Serpentine Dam(oops, no dams, sorry!) Hmmm, that was our Sunday the week before last....

Take kid(s) to Kalamunda Heritage Town(or whatever it's called... near the library)

Go to Whiteman Park(quite a drive, but it is cheap. Visit little shops/museums. Go for a walk. Have a bbq. Take the train or tram(small fees).

Visit Swan Valley(chocolate factory, wineries, galleries) and Guildford(they prob have a heritage walk)

Go Horseriding (like in Yanchep. Did cost about $40... for 2 hours though)

Go down south(keep it cheap, use a tent, or stay in on-site vans). Albany is only 4 hours, Walpole, Denmark etc)
Hmmm, I think you've made it clear before though that you're not that into nature and parks etc.

Visit the monastry thing at New Norcia (only 2 hours or so, easy day trip)

Go to the Footy, just to experience it.

Keep an eye on gig guides. And if you've never heard of any, check them out, there's bound to be something good.
Music venue guide:
http://home.it.net.au/~lavida/perthven.htm

Here's the thread 'Culture in Perth', done in May:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303170

This is the festivals and events thread I did for last year, most will be the same this year I presume:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252861

Oh god, the museum post I did for the culture thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=23

Oh, there's of course plenty of festivals too(most in Summer though).
Probably more free outdoor concerts and things like that in the summer too.

Anyway, do you guys have work yet? When you work full time, and do shopping on a Saturday for example, you don't have THAT much time left to get bored.

We, for example, have been here a year, and haven't even done all the stuff you mentioned, and I mentioned yet.
We are also quite busy with (birthday) parties, dinner with friends(at home, or out). Cheap dinners I've had recently: Vietnamese in Leederville, about $13.
Thai. Malaysian($17)
Need to check out the Mongolian BBQ place in Leederville soon, that will be less than $13 I believe.

I do wonder what people are into if they can get bored in any place on this earth?
Also, ever heard about reading a good book, watching a good movie(some videoshops have good deals!) , playing board games etc etc!!
:scared:
Simone, you star !! Couldn't have put it better myself, but you forgot a few things like the 4 wheel sand dune riding at Lancilin (not sure of spelling) you can also do sandboarding.

The list is endless, just had a look in our favs list!

I quite agree and I don't work yet, that there arn't enough hours in the day just to do the everyday stuff let alone the immese list we have and you just keep making it bigger oh and there are the nights out of course. I am a firm believer you make your own fun. Us girls would have a laugh sat in a cardboard box (and may very well be carted off in one soon)

Jill
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites, and do a walk in Kitty's Gorge(nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), and visit Serpentine Dam(oops, no dams, sorry!) Hmmm, that was our Sunday the week before last....
Spooky Simone - we were at Serpentine Dam Sunday before last - well actually we drove around the dam circular drive (quite long!) and then BBQ'd at Serpentine Falls picnic ground. Maybe saw you without realising it as I have never met anyone from BE before!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
People who are bored are usually the most boring of people!
Remember Alice in Wonderland?
"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings......."
Well said TheCrone.

My suggestion Stormz, here's something to do if you find Perth so boring - pack your bags.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:57 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly wish i could get a few extra hours in the day to give me time to do everything i want to, i don't have time to be bored, fed up yes but only because the mundane things in life still have to be done and interfere with the fun things.

I was surprised when i read that your reasons for coming here were for the kids and the grandparents, what about you? This is your life too so why make the move if you knew before you got here it would make you miserable.

Maybe what you need is more friends, less family

Lynn
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
I honestly wish i could get a few extra hours in the day to give me time to do everything i want to, i don't have time to be bored, fed up yes but only because the mundane things in life still have to be done and interfere with the fun things.

I was surprised when i read that your reasons for coming here were for the kids and the grandparents, what about you? This is your life too so why make the move if you knew before you got here it would make you miserable.

Maybe what you need is more friends, less family

Lynn
Yep, that's what I've always thought when I saw Stormz's reasons.
Great that the kids have their grandparents, but that isn't everything(I grew up without mine quite fine), parents need to be happy!! And need nice/good jobs to be happy, for example, and friends.

Vics! How funny! It was Sunday the 16th.
We only left house at 12 midday. Drove down to Jarrahdale. Bought lunch there at the general store. Drove to the Dam, ate lunch at Lower Picnic area. Walked around dam area.
Drove back through Jarradale and to Garralong Park(or something like that, part of Serpentine NP), did a (VERY) short walk there at Kitty's Gorge.
Drove back along South Western Highway. Stopped off at Tumbulgum Farm, which is free entry, but you don't see many animals unless you go to their shows($16, would be good for kids, and if you're new to Oz I think)
Then drove through Roleystone(might move there next year.....) and had dinner at foodcourt at Gosnells Railway markets.

Didn't go to Serpentine Falls(been there a few times before), and also didn't do a lot of other things we passed(Like the heritage stuff in Jarrahdale), stuff in Armadale, tourist drives etc, because we only had half a day(slept in in the morning, did the washing etc).

As someone said, everybody on here could do a list like mine, and they'd all be very different, depending on specific area's(I'm not very familiar with North, and Mandurah area), and what each person has 'discovered'.

I really do wonder what people like Stormz did in the UK. Probably a lot more with friends....??
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:41 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
Or are you all just as bored as we are?
No we're not, but dont put yourself down about it...
You could try the Perth to Cape Town swim, im sure you'll find it extremely interesting...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
You could try the Perth to Cape Town swim, im sure you'll find it extremely interesting...
Speaking of swimming... ehhhh

Avon Descent is on next weekend I think? Boats and canoes going down the rapids from Northam to somewhere near Avon NP.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309802
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:28 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of swimming... ehhhh

Avon Descent is on next weekend I think? Boats and canoes going down the rapids from Northam to somewhere near Avon NP.
I think your right, looks like there some practice this weekend.
http://www.avondescent.asn.au/

Aftert all that rain we had in June, we havent had a great deal this month
(251mm in June, 60mm in July) I dont know if this has any bearing on the race ???
It looks crazy enough as it is
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think your right, looks like there some practice this weekend.
http://www.avondescent.asn.au/

Aftert all that rain we had in June, we havent had a great deal this month
(251mm in June, 60mm in July) I dont know if this has any bearing on the race ???
It looks crazy enough as it is
I reckon it will have a big bearing on the race, no rain = poor rapids.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:17 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon it will have a big bearing on the race, no rain = poor rapids.
They'll all be wanting a rocket up their A*&es and all they'll get are rock's
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:06 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

nah, been to South Africa (6 years there).

As for packing my bags Renth, would prefer to finding out what there is to do here first (ergo my post). You can pack them for me if you`re stuck for something to do. Oh, and pay for the tickets etc...

What did we used to do in the UK.... parks/castles/gardens/museums/london/etc .

I`d love to start up a `drive through` safari park here... the place could use one, and there`s plenty of land available for it.

Thanks for your suggestions Simone, appreciated. Hadn`t heard of a few of them.

As for buying jet-ski`s etc. GREAT!!! Lend me the dosh and I`ll do it

Yeah we did things with friends in the UK. Will do things when we establish good friends here too and will make life alot easier.

Having a 1 yr old does limit us a bit (especially at night).

atm I`m going to TAFE which is interesting (graphic design), and my wife is pregnant at home with the 1yr old.

I agree she should find an interest/hobby. In the uk our hobby/interest was history. Oops, we`re stuffed for that here then.

Surely some of your Perthites can agree that Perth/W.A. needs alot more tourist attractions.

Oh, and I`m not generally described as a boring person. Crazy maybe, but never boring

Maybe I`m just going nuts from lack of dosh (which limits what you can do) and lack of all my gear from the UK (arriving mid-august). Oh, and the in-laws watch Antiques Roadshow every bloody night.

I`m going to learn to draw when they have the tv on, so that should be good.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:17 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

So... history.. please explain

History not the 40,000 years worth of Aboriginal history?

Btw, another tip: Yanchep NP. Buy a Annual national parks pass ($52, will get you in Pinnacles, John Forrest NP, Serpentine, Yanchep, and all others in WA)
Then a cave tour was about $6, an Aboriginal workshop also 6, boat hire also something like that).

Then there's the 200 years of 'white' settlement.
Learn about the discovery of Oz and WA. (all the shipwrecks!!)
The settlement/colonalisation
The gold rush years (visit Kalgoorlie, but also for example the O'Connor Museum at Mundaring weir, where the pipeline starts.
Follow the Albert Facey trail around the midwest (you know, the guy that wrote the autobiografie about his hard life in WA)

The war years
Post war boom and growth of the city

There's plenty of museums, and also sites with 'history'. Think of the dams for example, or John Forrest NP, with very old picnic area's, and the old railway tunnel. Or the heritage walks in towns like Jarradale, York, Toodyay, Guildford etc etc(I think Perth city might have one too

If you every talk about 'no history' again, I think I'll go mad :scared:
It's just not your type of history. And it's history that you grew up with/is normal to you, maybe that's why it isn't as interesting to you.

Btw, a lot of the museums I put up in that museum post are free or a small fee.
And they might not be big, or fancy, but it's about the history isn't it?

Take for example the Martime museum(the main, new one). Now that does cost a bit, but you could spend a whole day in there, and not even have read everything! There's soooo much info to read! About migration by boat, the navy, fishing, sheep boats, the coast, yachting, the America's cup win, the ferry's on the Swan, lighthouses etc etc!

Found this while searching for Heritage trail
Things you might not have 'discovered' in the city yet:
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel...th-attractions
I can't remember about reading about The Museum of Performing Arts before...

Here's info about walk trails:
http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/htm...ate=2004-06-21
Get the brochures from the info stand at Forrest Chase! Or even do a free guided tour!

Right, so, you'll give us an update how you found all these thing? Seeing as you're so bored, might get through them in a month?

Good luck with the graphic design. Pascal's work is really busy, and growing!
I reckon it might stay busy while Perth catches up to the rest of Aus on the design and web side of things... unless companies start getting eastern states companies to do it....

I agree that Perth doesn't have many MAJOR tourist attractions, and with it growing so fast, I think there's some good money to be made by creative people/companies with a bit of money to invest in things like safari parks, big theme parks etc
I still think there's lots of small/inexpensive stuff to do though, and that's what I prefer anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.