Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:14 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

First let me qualify (to those that don`t know me), that I was born in Perth. Just came back from 10 years in the UK, for the kids & grandparents sake.

AND..... I find Perth just as boring as it ever was. God knows why so many Poms want to actually live here. All the family here seem to do is go for coffees at `x` shopping centre every week (thursday nights and saturday mornings) and the cannington dog track on some tuesdays (or is it wednesdays?) for their buffet meal ($16 all you can eat... pretty good actually) and watch a poor defensless fluffy toy be chased by some skinny mutts. Oh, and for REAL excitement they visit Lesmurdie Dam and have an over-priced burger. Kings Park is great (once or twice), Beaches are great (once or twice), and pubs are lifeless (even the fake English one in the Elizabethan Village in Armadale). Most places of `fun` you`d only go to once (or twice when you get desperate)... like the Reptile Park in Armadale.

Actually, it`s true what that comedian said.... flying from the eastern states to Perth is like your own personal time machine... land in Perth and you`re back in 1984. The music they have on the radio is practically the same damn playlist that was playing in 1988 when I finished high school. Nearly everywhere looks exactly the same. No character at all to all those flat roofs of businesses and shops. All shopping centres have the (mainly) same stores (although the same is true of most English towns.. but at least the towns had character.... unlike `London Court`).

Didn`t mean this to become a rant... but we`re BORED!!!! We were bored after 2 weeks!

So, the challenge to you is: Where can you go in Perth that
(a) doesn`t cost an arm and a leg and
(b) is somewhere you`d actually like to visit more than twice.

Or have I already mentioned the most obvious places:
Lesmurdie Falls
any damn DAM
Adventure World
Underwater World
Hilary`s Boat Harbour
The (boring) Bell Tower
Fremantle Markets
Subiaco Markets (is there a trend here?)
Adventure World (when it`s open)
Kalamunda Water Slides (when it`s open)
The cinema.
The beach.
Elizabethan Village Pub.
Perth City Centre.

Or are you all just as bored as we are?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:29 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Things i do in a typical week, now this is probably fairly boring to most, but here goes.

Monday morning Ten Pin Bowling Ladies League
Wednesday Morning Wacky Warehouse with my littlest
Friday Morning Playgroup
I try for a walk either round the parks or along the beach a couple of times a week too.
The rest of the day i work
Pick the kids up and go to the park or home for more work, or swimming lessons or footy or tennis or whatever.
Weekends
Well this weekend its Subi for the footy on Saturday, meeting friends at Hillarys on Sunday, Friday night may be down the Boat for a beer, Saturday night will probably be friends round at ours.
Most of our weekend time is spent with friends, even at this time of year we have boozy bbq's, go roller skating, all go down to the pub

Like i said nothing very exciting, just a typical working week and a sociable weekend.

Lynn
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:45 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stormz
First let me qualify (to those that don`t know me), that I was born in Perth. Just came back from 10 years in the UK, for the kids & grandparents sake.

AND..... I find Perth just as boring as it ever was. God knows why so many Poms want to actually live here.
You didn't tell us what you like to do with your time. What would you have been doing in the UK? Perth is quiet but for me it isn't boring.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:51 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Try getting hobbies , I will be dirt biking , surfin (mrs p4m too) ,bush walks , get a boat/jet ski , Fishing.
That all off the top of my head in 30 secs .
Part of the joy of aus is being able to plan a weekend .
It will be as boring or fun as you make it .
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:05 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Try getting hobbies , I will be dirt biking , surfin (mrs p4m too) ,bush walks , get a boat/jet ski , Fishing.
That all off the top of my head in 30 secs .
Part of the joy of aus is being able to plan a weekend .
It will be as boring or fun as you make it .
Yup. If you're a big city person and into all that brings then Perth won't be for you. If you're into the outdoors, good food, restaurants, sport, the beach, wide open spaces..... well you get my drift. Quiet and boring are not the same thing.

As for the radio thing, change the station! Sheesh!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

What did you do in the UK?

Why would you visit anywhere more than once or twice every few years??!

You should be setting yourself this challenge. Problem is, you've come here with a negative view, and I don't think you're going to change that very easily. You're already talking about what your family does. There's more to Perth than that.
Also, you have kids now, doesn't that limit what you can do anyway? Or actually gives you more to do....

Some other things to do(once or twice) then

Maritime Museum Fremantle (consists of 3 parts: shipwreck galleries: donation. New museum: money(forget how much), really cool submarine tour: $8

Comedy Club night at the Hyde Park hotel: about $15 on Thursday night

Great Union Cinemas on a Tuesday: $7.40
Luna cinema's for some different movies.

Blues night at Charles st Hotel on Tuesdays (and Jazz at the Hyde Park hotel on same night I believe)

Pool and snooker everywhere.

Bike around the Swan
Bike around Herdsman Lake

Visit art galleries (in city, in Fremantle)

Visit museums(there's plenty, google em)

Have a sunday roast and listen to live music at Mundaring Weir Hotel.

Visit Toodyay (visit museums), take in Avon NP en route

Visit York

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites, and do a walk in Kitty's Gorge(nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), and visit Serpentine Dam(oops, no dams, sorry!) Hmmm, that was our Sunday the week before last....

Take kid(s) to Kalamunda Heritage Town(or whatever it's called... near the library)

Go to Whiteman Park(quite a drive, but it is cheap. Visit little shops/museums. Go for a walk. Have a bbq. Take the train or tram(small fees).

Visit Swan Valley(chocolate factory, wineries, galleries) and Guildford(they prob have a heritage walk)

Go Horseriding (like in Yanchep. Did cost about $40... for 2 hours though)

Go down south(keep it cheap, use a tent, or stay in on-site vans). Albany is only 4 hours, Walpole, Denmark etc)
Hmmm, I think you've made it clear before though that you're not that into nature and parks etc.

Visit the monastry thing at New Norcia (only 2 hours or so, easy day trip)

Go to the Footy, just to experience it.

Keep an eye on gig guides. And if you've never heard of any, check them out, there's bound to be something good.
Music venue guide:
http://home.it.net.au/~lavida/perthven.htm

Here's the thread 'Culture in Perth', done in May:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303170

This is the festivals and events thread I did for last year, most will be the same this year I presume:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252861

Oh god, the museum post I did for the culture thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=23

Oh, there's of course plenty of festivals too(most in Summer though).
Probably more free outdoor concerts and things like that in the summer too.

Anyway, do you guys have work yet? When you work full time, and do shopping on a Saturday for example, you don't have THAT much time left to get bored.

We, for example, have been here a year, and haven't even done all the stuff you mentioned, and I mentioned yet.
We are also quite busy with (birthday) parties, dinner with friends(at home, or out). Cheap dinners I've had recently: Vietnamese in Leederville, about $13.
Thai. Malaysian($17)
Need to check out the Mongolian BBQ place in Leederville soon, that will be less than $13 I believe.

I do wonder what people are into if they can get bored in any place on this earth?
Also, ever heard about reading a good book, watching a good movie(some videoshops have good deals!) , playing board games etc etc!!
:scared:
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:50 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
Yup. If you're a big city person and into all that brings then Perth won't be for you. If you're into the outdoors, good food, restaurants, sport, the beach, wide open spaces..... well you get my drift. Quiet and boring are not the same thing.
Sounds ideal for us then!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone

You should be setting yourself this challenge. Problem is, you've come here with a negative view, and I don't think you're going to change that very easily. You're already talking about what your family does. There's more to Perth than that.
Also, you have kids now, doesn't that limit what you can do anyway? Or actually gives you more to do....

Maritime Museum Fremantle (consists of 3 parts: shipwreck galleries: donation. New museum: money(forget how much), really cool submarine tour: $8

Blues night at Charles st Hotel on Tuesdays (and Jazz at the Hyde Park hotel on same night I believe)

Bike around the Swan

Visit York

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites, and do a walk in Kitty's Gorge(nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), and visit Serpentine Dam(oops, no dams, sorry!) Hmmm, that was our Sunday the week before last....

Take kid(s) to Kalamunda Heritage Town(or whatever it's called... near the library)

Go to Whiteman Park(quite a drive, but it is cheap. Visit little shops/museums. Go for a walk. Have a bbq. Take the train or tram(small fees).

Visit Swan Valley(chocolate factory, wineries, galleries) and Guildford(they prob have a heritage walk)

Go down south(keep it cheap, use a tent, or stay in on-site vans). Albany is only 4 hours, Walpole, Denmark etc)
Hmmm, I think you've made it clear before though that you're not that into nature and parks etc.

Keep an eye on gig guides. And if you've never heard of any, check them out, there's bound to be something good.
Music venue guide:

This is the festivals and events thread I did for last year, most will be the same this year I presume:

Anyway, do you guys have work yet? When you work full time, and do shopping on a Saturday for example, you don't have THAT much time left to get bored.

We, for example, have been here a year, and haven't even done all the stuff you mentioned, and I mentioned yet.
We are also quite busy with (birthday) parties, dinner with friends(at home, or out). Cheap dinners I've had recently: Vietnamese in Leederville, about $13.
Thai. Malaysian($17)
Need to check out the Mongolian BBQ place in Leederville soon, that will be less than $13 I believe.

I do wonder what people are into if they can get bored in any place on this earth?
Also, ever heard about reading a good book, watching a good movie(some videoshops have good deals!) , playing board games etc etc!!

Wow Simone you,ve just filled our calender up for quite a while when we arrive,fantastic post keep it up

dave
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:09 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

People who are bored are usually the most boring of people!
Remember Alice in Wonderland?
"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings......."
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:13 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TheCrone]People who are bored are usually the most boring of people!
QUOTE]
I always tell my kids that one "Only boring people get bored"!! Saves me listening to them grumbling in the holidays
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:25 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Anne4Terry]
Originally Posted by TheCrone
People who are bored are usually the most boring of people!
QUOTE]
I always tell my kids that one "Only boring people get bored"!! Saves me listening to them grumbling in the holidays
LOL, everytime my children mention the word bored my husband sounds like a Monty Python sketch. Bored?? what do you mean bored, when I was a kid...............................
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:28 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=chattyshazza]
Originally Posted by Anne4Terry

LOL, everytime my children mention the word bored my husband sounds like a Monty Python sketch. Bored?? what do you mean bored, when I was a kid...............................
Bet your family was glad to see the end of term!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:06 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

It aint the city thats boring, its the person.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
It aint the city thats boring, its the person.

Ain't that true
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simone

Bike around the Swan

Visit York

Music venue guide:

Thai. Malaysian($17)

Great post

Enjoyed your list and I think a few of the regulars could supply a similar but different list - if you know what I mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.