Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It has been said that a Tommy was a British soldier and a Pommy was a British civilian.
Not heard that one either

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Correct and educate as you go
Think you'll find if you object you'll not have the term used twice towards you
Disagree again, but already said why.

Altho yeah 100% agree on the 'object'' bit as altho it don't bother me, I remember a few year back having a whinge about being called a Pom and from that point on I was 'Pommy Paul' ...

But as I say, 'Pommy Paul' is ok, even likeable to be honest, but 'that Pommy C***' ... well, it don't have the same effect!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:40 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

I hope you stick around the rest of the night, I'm pissing meself laughing here.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kelli28
I hope you stick around the rest of the night, I'm pissing meself laughing here.
Oh hello again!

I aim to please! ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
You KNOW if you was in front of me now i'd smash the **** out of you! ... but as you're someone who doesn't even state their location (belive me I just looked) ... i'll go with the flow.

If i'm lucky, and you're in SEQLD, then by all means let me know buddy. The PM facility is working just fine ...

Military Road, Largs Bay, Adelaide. By the time you've scraped up enough bucks to get here and figured out your arse from your elbow........I've died of old age.

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I have to differ, ONLY as like I say it's all about prefix.

1) - "oh you know the girl, she's a Pom"

2) - "yeah some pommy bastard"

Totally different if you ask me, yet both used widely across Australia, like it or not.

'Wog' ... that's a diff thing as in the UK it means one thing, here another!
Can't have it both ways is either offensive or not lol
Or maybe you should only accept the term if it is said to you by a fellow Brit?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Military Road, Largs Bay, Adelaide. By the time you've scraped up enough bucks to get here and figured out your arse from your elbow........I've died of old age.

Oh go on, the number too. For all I know the road it 10k's long! (pm will do)

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Can't have it both ways is either offensive or not lol
Or maybe you should only accept the term if it is said to you by a fellow Brit?
Dunno what you're about ... but don't want it both ways ... the friendly prefix works every time, the other don't!

Long wait! ... in all the time i've been here, been on holiday here, thought about moving here .... oh etc etc yada yada rah rah ...
I don't think i've EVER heard another Pom refer to another Pom as a Pom!

Anyone?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get any of that in my office. Maybe because it's a pretty multicultural company? My boss calls me a Honorary Aussie

The only guy they take the mickey out of is the Victorian

Originally Posted by Tellyaddict
Haven't heard the saying but I am constantly refered to as a POM in the office that where I work or should I say Pomy as Aussies tend to add a Y to the end of everything!!

I just tend to take it in good spirits although it was funny when I responded 'and where would you be without us' and the most Australian person in the room said 'probably speaking Mexican'. (not sure why he chose that particular county though)
Originally Posted by Bix
Queenslanders nickname for Victorians is Mexicans because they come from the South. Maybe something to do with it.

South Aussies call the Victorians Mexicans, because they come from over the border
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Ok, just checked and surprise surprise! ... Military Rd is the biggest road in Largs Bay ... ... might just as well told me you're in Australia!

I've still had no PM from you so mate if you REALLY have an issue with me (obv do), then after xmas i'm heading to Port Eliot of all places (Monday the 17th) due to work. I'm only staying for the day as fly back late Monday, but we can meet up (don't seem too far away, and will be worth it!), go have a chat, and hopefully sort out our indifferences ...

PM your phone number now please?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno what you're about ... but don't want it both ways ... the friendly prefix works every time, the other don't!

Long wait! ... in all the time i've been here, been on holiday here, thought about moving here .... oh etc etc yada yada rah rah ...
I don't think i've EVER heard another Pom refer to another Pom as a Pom!

Anyone?
In my opinion, as I've seen and heard people calling their own kin/kind/race names that others are not allowed to use so it's either offensive or not.
Lol (not the smilie) was trying to make it light hearted but obviously you're getting a bit of flack this evening so you're not taking that on board? Chill Bill...
And yes I have, as there is no exactly defined whom the poms are/were, the Scots, Welsh & Irish call the English poms, yet it's very likely we were all classed as poms when the term was created
But as I've only so far been referred to as a pom by an aboriginal, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
South Aussies call the Victorians Mexicans, because they come from over the border
Queenslanders do too as heard the very saying today!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just checked and surprise surprise! ... Military Rd is the biggest road in Largs Bay ... ... might just as well told me you're in Australia!

I've still had no PM from you so mate if you REALLY have an issue with me (obv do), then after xmas i'm heading to Port Eliot of all places (Monday the 17th) due to work. I'm only staying for the day as fly back late Monday, but we can meet up (don't seem too far away, and will be worth it!), go have a chat, and hopefully sort out our indifferences ...

Oh my god.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:26 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god.
Pfft you'll be lucky
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pfft you'll be lucky

This is getting too weird. I think I need a nap.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

This is getting too weird. I think I need a nap.
Pfft you'll be lucky
Still no PM as of 12.57 AEST (and i'm sittin here like a **** waiting)

I think 'all mouth and no trousers' is the correct term ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Still no PM as of 12.57 AEST (and i'm sittin here like a **** waiting)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...Untitled-8.png

I think 'all mouth and no trousers' is the correct term ...
... and I think maybe its time to go to bed .... not with me though, I think my hubby would be a tad upset.

Do me a favour, if you don't get on with someone put them on ignore or resolve your differences via pm It would be much appreciated;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.