Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:11 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

with 2 Yanks under each arm!

Nic was told this today at work by her boss ...

It was a heated debate over the bloody word Pom ... She was asked why we're called Pom's by a fellow Australian worker. She explained to the guy that Australia is the ONLY (well, bar NZ I spose) country that refers to Brits as Poms ... so turned the qustion around and asked him, as it's an Aussie after all asking it.

tic, tic, tic!

She went on to say that if the 'Prisoner of Mother England' explanation was true, then her boss was prob closer to a real Pom as he's a descendant from a VERY bad British grandad who was sent here on a ship many moons ago, unlike us who migrated here thru choice ...

That was when the above term popped up (clearly showing true colours) but in over 4 years i've never heard it, reference to it on here, or anywhere else for that matter!

Did he just make it up do you reckon, or is this what all the Aussies say about us behind our backs (as they do, like it or not!)? ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

What did he make up? I missed a bit I think.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Originally Posted by PaulandNic View Post
a Pom swimming back to England with 2 Yanks under each arm!
Never heard this before, but heard things similar, may years ago, aimed at the Yanks.

Can't find much under Google other than...
"Happiness is 10,000 Okies heading south with a Texan under each arm"

Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Hold on a sec!

Ok Sam shit her pants and deleted her reply, but HOW has MY reply to her gone? ... I didn't delete it! ...

Can a user now delete other peoples posts? ... ... or did a mod do it, i'd like to know??????????

Sue?? ... Paul?....

I've made a post and it's now gone, please explain?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
What did he make up? I missed a bit I think.
Yeah I reckon so.

The title and 1st line.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
Never heard this before, but heard things similar, may years ago, aimed at the Yanks.

Can't find much under Google other than...
Yanks, Poms ... all foreigners so ALL in the same boat ...

That's the one! ... just gonna re-read it to make sure tho before asking for a link ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on a sec!

Ok Sam shit her pants and deleted her reply, but HOW has MY reply to her gone? ... I didn't delete it! ...

Can a user now delete other peoples posts? ... ... or did a mod do it, i'd like to know??????????

Sue?? ... Paul?....

I've made a post and it's now gone, please explain?
As far as I can tell Sam hasn't posted in this thread, do you perhaps mean your other thread? Also don't panic, members can't delete another members posts.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
As far as I can tell Sam hasn't posted in this thread, do you perhaps mean your other thread? Also don't panic, members can't delete another members posts.
Yes the other one, ta da! ... poof! ... and no smoke left behind either!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:25 pm
ABCDiamond

That's the one! ... just gonna re-read it to make sure tho before asking for a link ...
There is another one... Happiness is 10,000 Texans going home with an Okie under each arm.

It must be catching though... I also found: Happiness is 100,000 Canadians Heading Home . . . with a New Yorker under each arm Printed in The Rotarian Mar 1992.

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Haven't heard the saying but I am constantly refered to as a POM in the office that where I work or should I say Pomy as Aussies tend to add a Y to the end of everything!!

I just tend to take it in good spirits although it was funny when I responded 'and where would you be without us' and the most Australian person in the room said 'probably speaking Mexican'. (not sure why he chose that particular county though)
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tellyaddict View Post
Haven't heard the saying but I am constantly refered to as a POM in the office that where I work or should I say Pomy as Aussies tend to add a Y to the end of everything!!

I just tend to take it in good spirits although it was funny when I responded 'and where would you be without us' and the most Australian person in the room said 'probably speaking Mexican'. (not sure why he chose that particular county though)
Think they'd have ended up speaking French, if my recollection of history lessons are correct.
How do you define most Australian? Were they Aboriginal
Not sure I'd be so happy to be referred to as a pom, as my paddy roots would be offended .
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Yeah I don't have any issues with being called a Pom, unless i'm a '****in' Pom etc.

It's all about what goes before it ...

I'll have people say to me "yeah I got Pommy mates" ... I don't have any issues with that at all, but at the same time I recently heard a bloke say to another "yeah all bloody Poms I bet" ... and that bloody word (heard heaps worse) in front changes things!

I HAD to chip in (with relatively strong London accent) and ask "what are they up to?" ... and it all went quiet ...

End of the day, yes i'm a Pom, but only to Australians as the French would think i'm an apple ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? View Post
Think they'd have ended up speaking French, if my recollection of history lessons are correct.
How do you define most Australian? Were they Aboriginal
Not sure I'd be so happy to be referred to as a pom, as my paddy roots would be offended .
I know Scottish peeps who get called Poms and that's so funny as I know they hate it ...

Ahhh, whatever! ... don't bother me like I say unless sommit derogatory is prefixed.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:45 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

'probably speaking Mexican'. (not sure why he chose that particular county though)
Queenslanders nickname for Victorians is Mexicans because they come from the South. Maybe something to do with it.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I HAD to chip in (with relatively strong London accent) and ask "what are they up to?" ... and it all went quiet ...
They were probably whinging
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know Scottish peeps who get called Poms and that's so funny as I know they hate it ...

Ahhh, whatever! ... don't bother me like I say unless sommit derogatory is prefixed.
Yes the Scots certainly take offence at being called poms, must tell you something eh.
Irish peeps don't like it either, as we all came over on different prison ships to you lot

Am I right in saying it's a term that is used, but no one actually knows how it came about, as its not the Prisoner of Mother England?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.