Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:58 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
They were probably whinging
Seriously, I thankfully (only thankfully cos ppl KNOW where i'm from in the UK) have quite a distinctive accent, and when I speak most people think i'm from Eastenders ... ... but I CAN just throw a comment out to a group of ppl (Aussies) when I hear em slaggin the Poms.

90% of the time you can hear a pin drop ... ... but the other 10% I get into a conflict, as after all that's the way to solve an issue ... with your fists! ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: There's nothing I prefer to see than a Pom swimming back to England ...

Am I right in saying it's a term that is used, but no one actually knows how it came about, as its not the Prisoner of Mother England?
Yes. No one really knows where it came from, or what it means.

Some Australians use it to describe all the British. Many Brits relate it only to the English.

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a novel idea. Have a point!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes. No one really knows where it came from, or what it means.
And aint that the funny bit! ...

1) - Prisoner of Mother England...

2) - Cos we look like Pomegranates when we arrive...

3) - Perfection of Mankind!... (try it people! ... )

Oh hold on, I think I've found it! ... no3 for sure ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Seriously, I thankfully (only thankfully cos ppl KNOW where i'm from in the UK) have quite a distinctive accent, and when I speak most people think i'm from Eastenders ... ... but I CAN just throw a comment out to a group of ppl (Aussies) when I hear em slaggin the Poms.

90% of the time you can hear a pin drop ... ... but the other 10% I get into a conflict, as after all that's the way to solve an issue ... with your fists! ...
Can't beat the I've engaged my gob and my brain has just caught up with it moment
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Heres a novel idea. Have a point!
Oh please go away, wake up and smell some coffee please FFS ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please go away, wake up and smell some coffee please FFS ...
Why would I want coffee at 10:45 you slag!?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Can't beat the I've engaged my gob and my brain has just caught up with it moment
Nothing better! ...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:17 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Think they'd have ended up speaking French, if my recollection of history lessons are correct.
How do you define most Australian? Were they Aboriginal
Not sure I'd be so happy to be referred to as a pom, as my paddy roots would be offended .
I regard the word "pom" as racist and offensive. Like the word "wog". People accept it because it's so widely used, but it's still racist.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Why would I want coffee at 10:45 you slag!?
Slag? ... now why would you refer to me with such a title mr dibble? ...

Cos it'll help you sleep duh!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Slag? ... now why would you refer to me with such a title mr dibble? ...

Cos it'll help you sleep duh!

Have another glass of Spumante, sweetheart.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brissybee
I regard the word "pom" as racist and offensive. Like the word "wog". People accept it because it's so widely used, but it's still racist.
I have to differ, ONLY as like I say it's all about prefix.

1) - "oh you know the girl, she's a Pom"

2) - "yeah some pommy bastard"

Totally different if you ask me, yet both used widely across Australia, like it or not.

'Wog' ... that's a diff thing as in the UK it means one thing, here another!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:25 pm
ABCDiamond

And aint that the funny bit! ...

1) - Prisoner of Mother England...

2) - Cos we look like Pomegranates when we arrive...

3) - Perfection of Mankind!... (try it people! ... )

Oh hold on, I think I've found it! ... no3 for sure ...
It has been said that a Tommy was a British soldier and a Pommy was a British civilian.

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Correct and educate as you go
Think you'll find if you object you'll not have the term used twice towards you
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Have another glass of Spumante, sweetheart.
So my question is replied to with a 2 bob comment.

Ok ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.