Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terrified of flying

Terrified of flying

Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:03 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default Terrified of flying

Hi

We're hoping to emigrate to Oz at the end of the year, however I have a real phobia about flying. Can anyone give me some tips, feedback on the best route/airlines to use?

Will need to stock up on sleeping tablets and hypnotherapy CD's. Phobia is so bad have been looking at cruises to Brisbane, only problem is they only depart once a year, and take 43 days to get there!

Ali X :scared:
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrified of flying

I am going to the docs next week they give you a mild seditive for the journey hun. I am taking some of my own music such as lemon jelly and Gold Frapp so that should be ok. I am C****** myself and I fly out in 19 days.

Sweating now writing this lol

lace xxx
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:09 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lacey21
I am going to the docs next week they give you a mild seditive for the journey hun. I am taking some of my own music such as lemon jelly and Gold Frapp so that should be ok. I am C****** myself and I fly out in 19 days.

Sweating now writing this lol

lace xxx
Glad I'm not the only one. Which airline are you using? Last flight I took was 4 years ago, doctor gave me diazapam, still didn't help, even with the bicardi and jack daniels!!!!

Ali X
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Ali, Emrates, I am really really pooing myself, my kid is all, 'oh we'll be alright can't wait' lol

The only thing that keps me going is that it is one way so 7 hours turn into 6 and then 5 then 4 and so on. Thats the way I look at it. I keep getting a sick feling in my stomach everytime I think about the plane.

YUK!

Never mind soon be Christmas lol

lace xx
Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

My doc perscribed a little pink tablet - did the trick! 20 minutes before I board I take it. I managed to fly to USA and Jamaica!

Take an eye mask and ear plugs and try and sleep for as long as possible. Get an isle seat as well as the plan seems much bigger.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi

We're hoping to emigrate to Oz at the end of the year, however I have a real phobia about flying. Can anyone give me some tips, feedback on the best route/airlines to use?

Will need to stock up on sleeping tablets and hypnotherapy CD's. Phobia is so bad have been looking at cruises to Brisbane, only problem is they only depart once a year, and take 43 days to get there!

Ali i was scared sh...tless, we would go to Spain on the coach, 24 hours with the six kids, what a bloody nightmare, but only way to go as i would not fly.
Came to emigrate, my bright idea, OMG long way on a coach, so i had to fly, had visions of us all at the airport, suitcases and homeless, and i could not get on that plane.
Anyway went to docs, got Diazapan, never had them before, took one the morning we where leaving them every 4 hours until we got here, It was a doddle. It never bothered me i was so relaxed.
I would not hesitate to take them again to fly.
Best of luck. Denise
Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:36 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I'm not the only one. Which airline are you using? Last flight I took was 4 years ago, doctor gave me diazapam, still didn't help, even with the bicardi and jack daniels!!!!

Ali X

I used to take diazepan but like you, they didn't help. I now take temazepan and with a few whiskys they do the trick!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 4:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

alprazolam aka Xanax in the US. Diazepam doesn't work fast enough (aka Valium in the US).

Some people find that walking up and down the aisles helps; watching the movies; talking to people (who hopefully wanted to be talked to ), talking to the staff (depends on their personality/mood, doesn't work on BA!), eating, etc.... others just get so out of it on meds or alcohol (don't recommend alcohol as it will aggravate a true phobia) .... relaxation therapies such as slow, controlled breathing, or listening to relaxation techniques.....

Wish it weren't so hard, but for some of us it is. Just flew across the pond for immigration stuff for husband -- hated it, but I made it.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm dreading the flight too I dont have a phobia but suffer from claustrophobia and hate, hate, hate being cooped up.
I'm hoping the doc can give me something to knock me out when we go
Old Apr 16th 2006, 6:55 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think the airline would make too much of a difference barring the likes of Garuda etc.
I have flown millions of miles as part of my job and have always been petrified. Still am but cope with it better now.
Initially, I took the alcohol salvation route but the hangovers aren't worth it.
Always took an aisle seat - just in case - I can be one of the first off the plane (yeah right!).
Started taking the magic pills from the doc. Worked great, within a few minutes zonked out and slept for most of the flight. However, as someone pointed out, say the plane has difficulties your would be too out of your head to be in control of saving yourself. So, gave up on the pills.
Forced myself to read books and watch TV docs on crashes and surprisingly they helped me conquer a lot of fears. Surprising to read how unlikley plane crashes are and what a small percentage have problems. Plus, when one does, the amount of investigation and remedies put in place to ensure they never happen again is amazing.
Also, look at the staff on planes. It is just a job to them. They wouldn't do it if they felt unsafe.
Now, I use the screensaver available from www.staralliance.com. It is great and I suggest you download. It shows all of the planes around the world in the air in real time. Truly fascinating. Now imagaine that each of those planes has a few hundred people etc.
When you realise that flying really is a safe, routine occurence continually happening without fault. It puts you at ease.
Mind you, still opt for the aisle seat!

My way of coping now is total ignorance of the situation. Watch the movies, eat, sleep, drink, talk to others (like the comment re: BA staff) who want to talk and totally detach yourself from the fact you are up in the air. Avoid the window!

When (if?) the warning of turbulence comes, headphones on, eyes shut, relax.

Works for me anyway!

Andrew
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Xanax. wonderful stuff!!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure if you take any medication that you have at least tried it out before flying - the last thing you want is to have an allergic reaction in mid-air.

Good luck - hope you manage to overcome your phobia.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:35 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I used to be absolutely terrified of flying but now I'm just mildly scared! We flew with Singapore Airlines for our validation trip in February and I got myself worked up into a right old state I took Diazepam and I will again when we fly out for good in June. Had a couple of short internal flights though and managed without Diazepam on those. I sort of thought about it in a different way.......I figured for as long as the air stewardesses were still smiling and serving drinks then we weren't about to crash........if THEY started screaming that's when I had something to worry about :scared:
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:50 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Make sure if you take any medication that you have at least tried it out before flying - the last thing you want is to have an allergic reaction in mid-air.
Definitely try any medication and see how it affects you. Find a dose where you are really not feeling any anxiety even thinking about flying, or seeing an airplane, or heck, even seeing the bills but you aren't stumbling around!

Benzodiazepines are highly unlikely to cause an allergic reaction but it is a good idea to try any drug you plan to take.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:56 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Ali,
I am not a good flyer either, but I think it is mind over matter, I must say it worries me all these drugs so I personally would prefer to go with natural remidies.
I used rescue remedy which you get from a health shop and it drips on your tongue plus try really hard to show my kids I am not scared at all
I watch movies and play games with the kids, eat and drink and shop whenever the trolly is near us !!!! lol
Just to try to overcome it myself, I also have a hypnotherapy cd but I am too much of a strong minded person to believe it !!!! (stupid I know as it should help!!)
Try and keep calm about it and tell yourself its silly as it is safer than driving a car !!!
Good Luck
Jane xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.