Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a cat to Australia ?

Taking a cat to Australia ?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:41 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Taking a cat to Australia ?

Originally Posted by posh10
how did u go about re-housing ur cats my cat is nearly 9 and i am in two mids as to take her but not sure if i could rehouse her with her age. will prob end up taking her,

quite shocked bout the mornington curfew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats were we are going !!!!!!!!!! she is a house cat though i have to kick her out really and she never goes further than our shed.lol
We were just really lucky, the female cat went to the couple who had the kittens from us when we bred her, and Dafty went to friends of the MIL.

Miss them both like you wouldn't believe but know it was in their best interests in the end. You could possibly get yours re-homed through a rescue centre or find a friend / relative who'd take her on.

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's best for you in the end.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
quick question- does anyone have contract details for Golden Arrow, I've heard them reccomended often on here but can't get a quote as I can't find a website for them. Google is letting me down for once.
Try the yellow pages or 192.com websites
We used golden arrow, they don't have a website, they aren't the cheapest but they are very friendly, helpful and efficient. Had no probs due to them looking after all the details etc

Ali
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fraymont66
Lots of good points raised here and I will refer to it when/if we move.I hadn't thought about keeping my cats indoors, however they are getting older and dont bother too much about going out a lot anyway.
I can't imagine a life without cats though, so that's something else to add to the ponder list!

Our cats have always been indoor cats. We rescued them as kittens and by the time they'd had to stay indoors because of inoculations and neutering, the area we lived in was being plagued by mysterious *disappearances* of cats and dogs, we think to *research*. So we asked the vet if they would suffer being indoor cats and she said very defnitely "no". I have been told, and have read, that, on average, an indoor cat lives up to five years longer than an outdoor one - given that they are not going to get into scraps with cats who may be infected with FIV or anything else, and given that the threat of contact with snakes is removed, and given the risk of being hit by a car or other vehicle is eliminated, that seems plausible to me.

I wouldn't have our two any other way than indoor cats.

r12p
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by troj
Hi,

When we decided to bring our cat with us to Australia from England, we were really worried and concerned that we were doing it for the right reasons, would she be ok, how would she react etc.... (she was fairly nervous/skittish).

We used a company called Airpets, and I can't speak highly enough of them. Found their staff helpful and friendly despite the many questions we asked!!

Whilst in quarantine, she was very quiet. Eat very little and rarely came out of her little igloo (only at night, to use the litter tray). However, when we came to pick her up, as soon as she heard our voices - she got up, had a stretch and gave us a kind of "where the hell have you been?" look that only a spoilt cat can and began to rub around our legs... she was fine.

The total cost, including quaratine fees this end was somewhere around £1300... But you do keep the cage that is built for your cat so should you decide to head back to England, you can re-use it!

Paul & Louise
This has made me feel much better, thanks! our cat is also a nervous skittish girl and very spoilt! and i've had the same concerns about doing it for the right reasons etc but in my heart of hearts i know she'll have a great life with us and couldn't bear to give her away to someone who may not love her and pamper her the same!

we are also using airpets so i'm glad you found them good, this has been a really difficult decision so to know she's in good hands means alot! thanks again!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

My boys now are both indoor cats, and will stay that way. My old boys (lost one 8 years ago, one 2 years ago) were farm cats and I never had a problem with them hunting, mainly to be honest because they always ate what they caught - rabbit, pigeon and pheasant mainly with the odd polecat for mum as a surprise present. Only time I put a bell on them was when Lumpy started catching fledging swallows in the stables, couldn't be doing with that.

These two I have now have both got the hunting gene, no two ways about it, and I will not let them hunt in Aus. They've been indoor cats since I got them, & they will stay that way.

A woman I used to work with moved her 13 yo cat 2 years back to Tassie, and she said she settled in really quickly, just sulked with them for 2 days after they got her home, so not worried about moving the boys, just worried about the attitude from them when we get them to their new home!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

DONT bring them unless you are going to keep them indoors especially at night. much kinder to re-home in UK if possible.
There are LOADS of cats here that need homes, they are abondonded regularly at the RSPCA centres just look on the website BUT, please keep them inside
Also look at lost pets on the website, cats go missing regularly (our cat is missing )