British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Taking a cat to Australia ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/taking-cat-australia-505896/)

fraymont66 Jan 13th 2008 5:04 pm

Taking a cat to Australia ?

Hi

Has anyone done this, how did it go, was your cat ok after the flight etc and stay in the Quarantine Station.
cheers
:unsure:

Wandathecat Jan 13th 2008 5:09 pm

Re: Taking a cat to Australia ?

Originally Posted by fraymont66 (Post 5781937)
Hi

Has anyone done this, how did it go, was your cat ok after the flight etc and stay in the Quarantine Station.
cheers
:unsure:

Hi

We are planning to take both of ours, I don't know much about the process but if your in the Uk or a non-rabied country its only 30 days for them on the other side:)

There are plenty of companies out there and I am not worried about them flying at all.

Cx

edie209 Jan 13th 2008 6:02 pm

On the subject of cats we have just lost our cat due to a kidney problem and the kids are really upset but we decided not to get another until the move.

But what are peoples opinions of cats in Australia?

Sorry to hyjack your post but I guess you would like to know this too.

fraymont66 Jan 13th 2008 6:12 pm

Hi

Thanks for the replies so far, I have only visited OZ once last November and travelled around a bit so I don't know what the Aussies think about cats in general. I can't imagine life without them and am worried and stressing about them travelling for 24 hours without food in a plane's cargo hold.
If there is anyone out there who has already taken their cats out let me know your experience please

thanks

Sorgeal Jan 13th 2008 6:30 pm

Hiya

Don't know whether this will help you but my son and his wife emigrated in September.

Their 2 cats flew out 2 weeks previously and stayed in Melbourne quarantine for the 30 days. They were absolutely fine! When they got them back they said they both looked very well and didn't look stressed or as if they'd lost any weight at all (which they half-expected).

The kids have since moved rental twice and apart from them (the cats) being a bit wary every time they saw the suitcases coming out :D, they've had no problems with them and they have settled in great.

I spoke to my son today and asked him how 'the girls' were and he said they were fine, still having their mad half-hours when they race round the house! :D

Anyway good luck with your decision-making!

fraymont66 Jan 13th 2008 6:55 pm

Hi

Thank you this was really helpful,I was also worried about rental houses allowing cats but obviously this isn't a problem. My cats are quite old hence the worry, but I will speak to my vet about it anyway and get their professional view too.

Thank you again:)

kitty4 Jan 13th 2008 7:18 pm

We brought our 4 out with us, the flight and quarantine themselves were no problem, cats came out looking really well. They cope fine, one of mine is old and neurotic grumpy ginger cat and I was worried the experience would kill him but he's come out of it the best - he loves it here (still grumpy old man though) :D

jo&neil Jan 13th 2008 11:26 pm

hi

Try doing a search on here for 'cats/airshippers etc', loads of stuff should come up e.g quarantine etc.

We bought ours with us & used 'jets4pets', Kent (not sure where abouts you are sorry?), no problems at all with the whole experience.

x

Rosscarbery Jan 14th 2008 6:31 am

I know loads of people have brought cats with no problem, and I don't want to start an argument, but when we visited Sydney in 2006 we asked around and got the impression that cats weren't terribly popular here as they go after native wildlife. This obviously isn't a problem if you live in a very urban area, but where we are (North Shore) we have possums in the garden most evenings so we are glad that we didn't bring our cat, even though the kids really miss him. The only cats you ever see around here are in pet shops (now that's another thread!); you never see any out.

chrispy Jan 14th 2008 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery (Post 5784500)
I know loads of people have brought cats with no problem, and I don't want to start an argument, but when we visited Sydney in 2006 we asked around and got the impression that cats weren't terribly popular here as they go after native wildlife. This obviously isn't a problem if you live in a very urban area, but where we are (North Shore) we have possums in the garden most evenings so we are glad that we didn't bring our cat, even though the kids really miss him. The only cats you ever see around here are in pet shops (now that's another thread!); you never see any out.

We bought our two cats out and they survived the journey really well and the 30 days quarentine, though for the journey we used a pheromone spray whihc is great for stressed cats. unfortunately a few months later we left them in a cattery while we moved and they both got sick, one died so we only have one now. We live in a rural area and were worried what the neighbours would think and the impact on the local wildlife, so we keep the cat in at night and it is too hot during the day for it to catch anything. All the neighbours as it turned out have cats so we needn't have worried. The neighbour has a cta that is a good hunter so he stuck about 6 bells on it.. seems to have doen the trick, we can certainly always here where he is!

Wandathecat Jan 14th 2008 7:49 am

Originally Posted by chrispy (Post 5784564)
We bought our two cats out and they survived the journey really well and the 30 days quarentine, though for the journey we used a pheromone spray whihc is great for stressed cats. unfortunately a few months later we left them in a cattery while we moved and they both got sick, one died so we only have one now. We live in a rural area and were worried what the neighbours would think and the impact on the local wildlife, so we keep the cat in at night and it is too hot during the day for it to catch anything. All the neighbours as it turned out have cats so we needn't have worried. The neighbour has a cta that is a good hunter so he stuck about 6 bells on it.. seems to have doen the trick, we can certainly always here where he is!

On the subject of herbs, sprays etc You can buy cat mint (cat nip) the herb (the stuff in toys in the shops is pretty rubbish. I always sprinkle some in my cat carriers when the cats go on their holidays to grandmas as it helps them cope with the car journey.....just a thought.

Cx

chrispy Jan 14th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 5784675)
On the subject of herbs, sprays etc You can buy cat mint (cat nip) the herb (the stuff in toys in the shops is pretty rubbish. I always sprinkle some in my cat carriers when the cats go on their holidays to grandmas as it helps them cope with the car journey.....just a thought.

Cx

Hi,
Problem with cat nip is the effect is very short lived, the pheromone spray (ask your vet) lasts much longer and relaxes the cats a lot. unfortuantely you cannot get it in Australia...

Alison1967 Jan 14th 2008 7:54 am

My cat was 14yrs old when i emigrated and i think she handled the journey and quarantine better than me, came out of quarantine very skinny but that was due to going hyper-thyroid. wayne gundry at spotswood was great and emailled me once a week and reassured me. she did get sick with a upper respiratory tract infection/cold 10 days out of quarantine but anti-biotics sorted that out. After having her thyroid treated with radio-iodine she has thrived and settled down after several moves and loves her life here, she's 16in september and i reckon she's gone from strength to strength and has also accepted our new rescue cat.

Our uk vet did a pre op blood screening and he said if she passed that she was ok to travel.

Lots of people have cats, its more feral cats that people feel strongly against

Good luck with the decision, i found holly coming over helped me settle as i was missing family and friends and my husband came out six months after me due to house sale falling through and i had to start my job.

They have plenty of water during the journey and are fed as soon as they get to quarantine. Holly flew to heathrow in the morning, rested all day and flew to melbourne at 10pm at night and it was only at singapore for 1 1/2-2hrs.

Ali

Kooky. Jan 14th 2008 8:25 am

I know thousands have done it but moving my cats is stressing me out more than ANYTHING else I have to consider! I've also told my husband to warn his boss that the date of the move would be dependent on being able to get them into the quarantine station. :o

Alison1967 Jan 14th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 5784780)
I know thousands have done it but moving my cats is stressing me out more than ANYTHING else I have to consider! I've also told my husband to warn his boss that the date of the move would be dependent on being able to get them into the quarantine station. :o

Of course your stressed they are part of your family.
They quickly settle due to the hold being darkened and hum of the plane engines. They receive excellent care in quarantine and will be over the moon to see you when you pick them up.
Good luck with the move

Ali :D