Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:35 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

[QUOTE=wombat42]The " Oz is shit Brigade" have their own forum " the returning to the Uk forum" where they can whinge and whine as much as they like about what a dreadful place Oz is....

why do you exaggerate so much..!!!!....all I see is you whinging and whining about the moving back to UK forum....why don't you tell the moderators to get rid of it then we can see what you REALLY have to offer...
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:42 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by hevs
You don't need to pretend to be anything other than who you are young lady Who are you in trouble with now
I'm allus in trouble

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:49 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=Pants]
Originally Posted by wombat42
The " Oz is shit Brigade" have their own forum " the returning to the Uk forum" where they can whinge and whine as much as they like about what a dreadful place Oz is....

why do you exaggerate so much..!!!!....all I see is you whinging and whining about the moving back to UK forum....why don't you tell the moderators to get rid of it then we can see what you REALLY have to offer...
Pants, the moving back to UK forum is as important as this forum. They both serve as necessary research tool and also aid like minded folk. Besides which, it's important that people get two sides of the coin. This creates informed decisions, and lets face it...people make their own minds up and are rarely swayed by what others experience.

The difficulty is...experiences are individual. What's one mans meat is another mans poison. That's not to say one is right and the other wrong, it's just differences in opinion. None the less both sides should feel able to speak their mind with equal conviction.

So......moderators......leave both forums where they are. They are both worth their weight in gold

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.

Let me get this right, your basing your statement that most couples that go come back is on 8 couple you personally know????
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:15 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Call me a member of the BE policing service

who do you have to sleep with to get a job like that??

Obviously not your miserable welsh partner
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:57 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Thanks Charmoll for your views, it give me something to think about, as have many have many of the posts I have read since I joined.

Maybe your statistics, are different from ABC's as some things are catching, I feel at the moment that I am on an unintentional crusade to de-populate the whole of the UK. Since announcing to my small part of the world that we are emigrating to oz we have started off a whole string of people in various stages of emigration process, 4 of them deadly serious. Maybe if you are down and not getting that a really strong this is for me vibe, and the people around you are feeling the same, it must be hard.

I must admit to enjoying statistics they make me think how or if they fit in with what I have heard, and to know what I am up against, have thought through most of them and I am not going to be one (a bad/sad statistic)

So here is another set of statistics, these are from one of the removals quote people. Out of 20 people they moved out to oz, they moved 7 back and out of those 7 they moved back to UK they then moved 3 of them back to oz again. (some one else can work out the maths).

Have done so much soul/heart searching, like other people, that it is not one huge sticking plaster to mend a bad life (like the dodgy marriage, get a dog, have a baby or move house to make it all better) and the positive and negative posts have helped me decide that it is for us and we will give it all we have got.

So thanks to you all (fence sitter extraordinaire)

Nicky
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:08 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
Thanks Charmoll for your views, it give me something to think about, as have many have many of the posts I have read since I joined.

Maybe your statistics, are different from ABC's as some things are catching, I feel at the moment that I am on an unintentional crusade to de-populate the whole of the UK. Since announcing to my small part of the world that we are emigrating to oz we have started off a whole string of people in various stages of emigration process, 4 of them deadly serious. Maybe if you are down and not getting that a really strong this is for me vibe, and the people around you are feeling the same, it must be hard.

I must admit to enjoying statistics they make me think how or if they fit in with what I have heard, and to know what I am up against, have thought through most of them and I am not going to be one (a bad/sad statistic)

So here is another set of statistics, these are from one of the removals quote people. Out of 20 people they moved out to oz, they moved 7 back and out of those 7 they moved back to UK they then moved 3 of them back to oz again. (some one else can work out the maths).

Have done so much soul/heart searching, like other people, that it is not one huge sticking plaster to mend a bad life (like the dodgy marriage, get a dog, have a baby or move house to make it all better) and the positive and negative posts have helped me decide that it is for us and we will give it all we have got.

So thanks to you all (fence sitter extraordinaire)

Nicky

I was a fence sitter, but its broken now, so I shall cheer from the sidelines and throw beer cans.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:15 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I was a fence sitter, but its broken now, so I shall cheer from the sidelines and throw beer cans.

Full ones (beer cans) for the people you really agree or disagree with?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:15 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Take stock, because most return home.

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]
Originally Posted by Pants

Pants, the moving back to UK forum is as important as this forum. They both serve as necessary research tool and also aid like minded folk. Besides which, it's important that people get two sides of the coin. This creates informed decisions, and lets face it...people make their own minds up and are rarely swayed by what others experience.

The difficulty is...experiences are individual. What's one mans meat is another mans poison. That's not to say one is right and the other wrong, it's just differences in opinion. None the less both sides should feel able to speak their mind with equal conviction.

So......moderators......leave both forums where they are. They are both worth their weight in gold
Can we not have posts that detail what we like about the uk or australia as well as why we are moving from one to the other. this is a more balanced view.

you could say, I love the morning mist on a winters day in the scottish glens, but i dont like the place as i got mugged twice last week, but fair enough this was due to me being out at 3am flashing a £300 mobile and blah blah blah.

Posts that are one sided in thier slander of a place are personal to the person giving the opinion as everyones circumstances are different and have good or bad luck, or work hard for it or not.

i think by posting such comments may make other not want to try something new just because other people have had it not as they wished for.

Everyones circumstances are different, so why not try a fresher approach by telling us what you will miss about where you are moving from rather than the negative emotions that are from your personal experiences.

ak
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Gosh, what a heated debate in places!

To address the OP, I thought it quite informative giving there side, may or may not help people, who knows, enjoyed everybodies opinions though lots to think about!!!!

But just to add a different slant, I have also read stories and met people that have moved to Australia, couldn't settle took the plunge to then move back to the Uk, and then realised why they left in the first place and then moved back to Australia and settled with a different attitude to it all. So it may be that OP may end up coming back!!!! Just a thought!

One thing I will say as far as I am concerned is, Your future, is just that, YOUR future, you decide what you do with it and where you go and how you do it and who you do it with etc etc etc.

So back to the original poster, at least you can look back on your life as can we all and say I lived my life the way I wanted, I may not of enjoyed some of the journeys or experiences but at least you can say I gave it a go!! And every experience shapes you into the person you are, at least you will have some stories to tell when you grow old!

I look forward to reading more of peoples journeys and experiences, wether they be good or bad!

Donna (2)
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:29 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkyfox
Donna (2)
Donna
You write fantastic for a 2 year old . And people say the education system is going down hill.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I think Ceri had mistaken you for e e cummings.

Anya.
Ooh ooh..... more material for Professional Princess's story
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:34 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alkristensen

Can we not have threads that detail what we like about the uk or australia as well as why we are moving from one to the other. this is a more balanced view.

Yeah, start a thread like that, or in fact two threads , one for UK and one for Oz We haven't had a few good fights here for a while.

Start them on a Friday afternoon, there will be blood on the floor by Saturday morning.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I think that it is a good thing when someone posts and honest post! Not everybody finds things easy and it is nice to hear when others may not find things peachy. I myself have had a very huge roller coaster since being out here and I found myself having relationship issues that I would never have seen coming. After 2 years things seem to be settling.
I agree that maybe nobody should look at this experience as permanent but they shouldn't stop it from letting them continue with life. Enjoy yourself and if it's for you great but never let yourself become trapped here. Wouldn't it be great to live 6 months in each country...

If your in Adelaide S. Australia take a look at

adelaidebrits

If you need friends they are always there they have a good time and theres always something going on, and they all have Aussie friends too. Theres no need to be lonely, you can have a good life here in Australia
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seang
Donna
You write fantastic for a 2 year old . And people say the education system is going down hill.

That made me smile!!

The reason I put 2 in brackets is that there is another Donna on this forum and I got called Donna No 2.

But I have always been top of the Class. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.