Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:50 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Pinkyfox
Gosh, what a heated debate in places!

To address the OP, I thought it quite informative giving there side, may or may not help people, who knows, enjoyed everybodies opinions though lots to think about!!!!

But just to add a different slant, I have also read stories and met people that have moved to Australia, couldn't settle took the plunge to then move back to the Uk, and then realised why they left in the first place and then moved back to Australia and settled with a different attitude to it all. So it may be that OP may end up coming back!!!! Just a thought!

One thing I will say as far as I am concerned is, Your future, is just that, YOUR future, you decide what you do with it and where you go and how you do it and who you do it with etc etc etc.

So back to the original poster, at least you can look back on your life as can we all and say I lived my life the way I wanted, I may not of enjoyed some of the journeys or experiences but at least you can say I gave it a go!! And every experience shapes you into the person you are, at least you will have some stories to tell when you grow old!

I look forward to reading more of peoples journeys and experiences, wether they be good or bad!

Donna (2)
I suppose the best thing for people to do is to move back to wherever they came from and then see who is wearing the rose tinted specs from the other side of the pond.

Basically try not to say anything til you get back home and see if it is the same as you remembered it, and whether it is better or not upon reflection then that may be a slightly more balanced view.

Alot of people are leaving the U.K for very very different reasons, us for 2 are going there with no expectations, i know there will be crime and scallies wherever you are and taxes will be high and gov offices will be a pain to deal with, but nowhere is utopia for 2 different people so try posting something useful like the best and worse place to buy a car etc based on your experience rather than your personal views on why it didnt work out for you as we dont know your history, you may be lazy you may not be, you may have moved into the wrong area you may not.

Whats to say that when you get back to the UK you wont be straight on to the dole with no capital and never work again, and its cold and miserable and you wished you were back in the lovely sunshine. Please keep us updated of your fortune or misfortunes as we never here about the latter, and after nearly 200 posts from your comments i would like to see how you get on and whether you were right in what you wished for.

Whatever you decide though, good luck and all the best and i hope that you get back on to the housing ladder again and get straight back in to the job and situation you left behind when you too had those rose tinted specs on one time a while ago. And i hope you have no regrets.

ak

sorry donna 2 forgot to hit new reply button, this isnht directed at you but the Op

Last edited by alkristensen; Aug 23rd 2005 at 2:54 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:51 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]
Originally Posted by Pants

Pants, the moving back to UK forum is as important as this forum. They both serve as necessary research tool and also aid like minded folk. Besides which, it's important that people get two sides of the coin. This creates informed decisions, and lets face it...people make their own minds up and are rarely swayed by what others experience.

The difficulty is...experiences are individual. What's one mans meat is another mans poison. That's not to say one is right and the other wrong, it's just differences in opinion. None the less both sides should feel able to speak their mind with equal conviction.

So......moderators......leave both forums where they are. They are both worth their weight in gold

Exactly.....I do realise that after all this time which is why I defend the forum, it is not full of whingers and whiners as one particular poster keeps implying.!!..........

Last edited by Pants; Aug 23rd 2005 at 3:03 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:58 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Yeah, start a thread like that, or in fact two threads , one for UK and one for Oz
We've done that before and it ended in tears before bedtime

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:01 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Pm'd a couple of messages to the original poster and have found out that they are looking to move back to the area that we are about to move out of.
Just had a thought OP - would you like to buy my house?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:05 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.

What do you miss about the uk?
What will you miss about Australia?
Did you not research the supply chain before opening a business?
Why dont you go on a holiday to the UK to see if its all its cracked up to be before all the upheavel again?
Just a thought.

You could always rent your property out in oz and come back to uk for a while before you decide it still is for you.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:07 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Pm'd a couple of messages to the original poster and have found out that they are looking to move back to the area that we are about to move out of.
That is what we like to see on this Forum, some good old fashioned business dealings and money making schemes

Go Anne

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Yeah, start a thread like that, or in fact two threads , one for UK and one for Oz We haven't had a few good fights here for a while.

Start them on a Friday afternoon, there will be blood on the floor by Saturday morning.
HEE HEE!! :scared:
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:11 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Ceri, you are really pathetic you know that !! no-body wants to listen to you as you are just pompous and arrogant !! And yes you have been rude to everyone who has posted here !!!!
Go and crawl back to the little hole you came out of and complain else where, no-body wants you here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, and if i put a little
does that make this post a little less serious????
I have to say I didn't find ceri's original post pompous or arrogant.

Something about people who come out to say they are returning to the UK. It does get peoples back up. Why I don't know. Horses for courses aint it?

This forum can get bloody nasty.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
So they are soft southern shandy drinking shower o sh"tes too are they!!! HA HA HA LOL

How are yo,u did you mange to get the tickets for the footy?

alk

Last edited by alkristensen; Aug 23rd 2005 at 3:14 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:13 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by russmcp

This forum can get bloody nasty.
You just have to look at the devotion this thread has been getting over the last day at the expense of those who have come on for a bit of support or advice, does it not say it all

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:14 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi, did you mange to get the tickets for the game?

alk
Alas no He is going to have to make do with a shirt with his name on the back Thanks for asking though.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:14 pm
Professional Princess

I think this debate needs to be settled in a good old fashioned punch up.

In the red corner, we have wombat, Hevs, bugger it - all the Aussie supporters.

In the blue corner we have the moved back to the UK and those whose rose glasses have broken. Anyway, they dont need to be rose tinted do they? Cant they be blue tinted.

BLC can sit on the sidelines and throw things when she wants.

Me and Anya can parade about in swimsuits and look decorative.

Now, after a count of three, when the bell goes, you have to pull one anothers hair and as you will be wearing the lycra body suits that are deeply embedded in the bottom, you must tug it hard so it slices your opponents bum cheeks in half and they can be used as a money box.

Anya, are you ready?

(Wombat is crunching knuckles in readiness)

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:15 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

BLC can sit on the sidelines and throw things when she wants.
Sour grapes

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:25 pm
Professional Princess

Anne4Terry suddenly starts the fight by grabbing one of the rose tinted brigade whos name I dont know.

Swinging them round by their lycra bum part of the suit, she smacks their head violently on the post.

'Yay!' Shouts the wombat over excited who then proceeds to pick up some eggs and throw them at the cheering agents in the sidelines.

'Come on Wombat' Yellos BLC aggressively.

'Bugger this Anya, we should join in' Princess shouts to Anya.

Taking a jump, Anya lands on mutants head and rides him like a pony whilst beating rose tint person about the head in a violent fashion.

Suddenly, bixie appears with a water pistol filled with blackcurrant and soaks the gang in the ring.

You should have seen them, honestly, not a fair fight at all.

It was going to get messy.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:47 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

At the end of the day your life is what you make it. It suits some and not others. (I've a relative who's tried it three times and is now settled back in UK)
We've been here almost a year and I can honestly say it suits us fine but I know and understand it's not for everyone. It's 'Horses for Courses' (think that's the saying!!)
All I would add to the debate is........... good for anyone who gives it a go.... If it does not work out at least you won't die wondering and no one should think any les of people decide to go back.

There are good points and bad points to both countries - it's all about what suites!!

Let people have their say and accept neither country suits all.

For those who have tried it and not settled- wish them the best in returning and for those of us who are happy here ...........cheers I love it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.