Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:51 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by marie66
At the end of the day your life is what you make it. It suits some and not others. (I've a relative who's tried it three times and is now settled back in UK)
We've been here almost a year and I can honestly say it suits us fine but I know and understand it's not for everyone. It's 'Horses for Courses' (think that's the saying!!)
All I would add to the debate is........... good for anyone who gives it a go.... If it does not work out at least you won't die wondering and no one should think any les of people decide to go back.

There are good points and bad points to both countries - it's all about what suites!!

Let people have their say and accept neither country suits all.

For those who have tried it and not settled- wish them the best in returning and for those of us who are happy here ...........cheers I love it!!!

well said....now can we close this bloody thread, i've spent all day reading it and catching up on the latest posting...... lol..... the crux of the tale, each to their own and good luck to all, and lets not get personal.

...and lots of smilies for good measure......
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
well said....now can we close this bloody thread, i've spent all day reading it and catching up on the latest posting...... lol..... the crux of the tale, each to their own and good luck to all, and lets not get personal.

...and lots of smilies for good measure......
I have also spent all day reading everyone's reply, this forum, hey this site, is Brill and really really addictive!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:31 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

is that it? is it over? fab
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:32 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
is that it? is it over? fab
Hey, listen if this thread is to be officially killed may I take that mantle

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:47 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
Must be a Sydney thing as of the dozen UK couples (aged 28 to 35) we became friendly with in our time in Sydney 10 of them are now back in the UK, one is returning next year and only one couple are staying. Not sure about these statistics people quote - since just about all of the couples we were friendly with were officially in Sydney on temporary skilled business visa's they, like us, do not pass throught any statistics.

On the flip side I would still recommend that people go to Oz if they want to and can afford to. There are worse places to be than Australia and all experiences that broaden horizons have got to a be a good thing. Just try not to get too wound up with the concept of "emigration" as its a stressful idea and can lead to people seeking to endorse their decisions through excessive criticism of the place they are leaving and excessive fantasizing about the place they are heading to.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:51 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Herman
. . . were officially in Sydney on temporary skilled business visa's they, like us, do not pass throught any statistics.
Actually, this is very true, many "Brits" I was friendly with, usually through business were on this type of visa. I guess they are no longer around.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:52 pm
Never going back

Must be a Sydney thing as of the dozen UK couples (aged 28 to 35) we became friendly with in our time in Sydney 10 of them are now back in the UK, one is returning next year and only one couple are staying. Not sure about these statistics people quote - since just about all of the couples we were friendly with were officially in Sydney on temporary skilled business visa's they, like us, do not pass throught any statistics.

On the flip side I would still recommend that people go to Oz if they want to and can afford to. There are worse places to be than Australia and all experiences that broaden horizons have got to a be a good thing. Just try not to get too wound up with the concept of "emigration" as its a stressful idea and can lead to people seeking to endorse their decisions through excessive criticism of the place they are leaving and excessive fantasizing about the place they are heading to.

herman, herman, herman...... i cant believe you have started it up again, what is wrong with you man? (lol )
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Just try not to get too wound up with the concept of "emigration" as its a stressful idea and can lead to people seeking to endorse their decisions through excessive criticism of the place they are leaving and excessive fantasizing about the place they are heading to.
This just about sums it up.

I have never been able to understand how anyone who posts anything 'negative' about Australia gets hammered but everyone thinks it is fine to be downright hostile about the UK.

Why can't people hack it in the UK?

G
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:58 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Grayling
This just about sums it up.

I have never been able to understand how anyone who posts anything 'negative' about Australia gets hammered but everyone thinks it is fine to be downright hostile about the UK.

Why can't people hack it in the UK?

G
Seems human nature on all fronts from all places, like a kid at Christmas, all I remember is the months before being obsessed with it and all the build up at the cost of other things. You have your dreams and you look forward to it so much that other things don't matter.

Maybe is it just good old fashioned HOPE

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Hi folks, very interesting thread for someone who is in the process of obtaining a visa. Nice to hear the other side of the story, before my "rose tinted glasses" end up blinding me. However, I have a few words of warning for expats who have been away for a few years.

Decimation of the National Health Service. My local A & E is about to be turned into a minor injuries unit, as are others right across the country.

House prices are off the scale, affecting returning expats and anyone trying to enter the housing market here. In fact, my sister has just been offered a 40 year term mortgage on a small semi. Not long before we enter the Japanese world of "Generational Mortgages".

Getting my children into a school with a half decent OFSTED report has proved impossible.

Crime statistics show a vast increase in the level of violent crime, mostly alcohol related.

The introduction of extended licensing laws from November this year. (makes sense given the above)

Unreasonable inheritance tax laws.
(Especially for those returning to Eastbourne to die)

Extortionate petrol prices in this country (ladies and gentlemen I give you the £1.00 litre of unleaded)

Excess traffic on our roads. Getting from A to B and occasionally C is horrendous.

Islamic extremist activity. Human squibs coming to a bus near you. :scared:

Asylum. 'nuff said.

But we have stopped fox hunting and banned smoking in public places.

I'm under no illusions that there are political and economic problems associated with any country you care to live in; but a government such as ours, with it's priorities so far out of whack should expect hard working intelligent people to look for a better way of life for themselves and families.

If / when I get to Oz and should decide that its not for me, i'll do exactly what I'm doing at the moment and go home. but not before I've logged on here and reread this post.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Hi folks, very interesting thread for someone who is in the process of obtaining a visa. Nice to hear the other side of the story, before my "rose tinted glasses" end up blinding me. However, I have a few words of warning for expats who have been away for a few years.

Decimation of the National Health Service. My local A & E is about to be turned into a minor injuries unit, as are others right across the country.

House prices are off the scale, affecting returning expats and anyone trying to enter the housing market here. In fact, my sister has just been offered a 40 year term mortgage on a small semi. Not long before we enter the Japanese world of "Generational Mortgages".

Getting my children into a school with a half decent OFSTED report has proved impossible.

Crime statistics show a vast increase in the level of violent crime, mostly alcohol related.

The introduction of extended licensing laws from November this year. (makes sense given the above)

Unreasonable inheritance tax laws.
(Especially for those returning to Eastbourne to die)

Extortionate petrol prices in this country (ladies and gentlemen I give you the £1.00 litre of unleaded)

Excess traffic on our roads. Getting from A to B and occasionally C is horrendous.

Islamic extremist activity. Human squibs coming to a bus near you. :scared:

Asylum. 'nuff said.

But we have stopped fox hunting and banned smoking in public places.

I'm under no illusions that there are political and economic problems associated with any country you care to live in; but a government such as ours, with it's priorities so far out of whack should expect hard working intelligent people to look for a better way of life for themselves and families.

If / when I get to Oz and should decide that its not for me, i'll do exactly what I'm doing at the moment and go home. but not before I've logged on here and reread this post.
Well you will find nearly all of the above in Australia (apart from the foxhunting) so I hope you do not have to eat your words.

G
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Whoever you are.

G
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Lordflasheart]If / when I get to Oz and should decide that its not for me, i'll do exactly what I'm doing at the moment and go home.

Why would I want to eat these words?

[QUOTE=Grayling]Whoever you are.

How Brusque.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:31 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Well you will find nearly all of the above in Australia (apart from the foxhunting) so I hope you do not have to eat your words.

G
You have got to be kidding me.

Do you live in Australia yourself?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:31 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

G
WRONG, Grayling! We DO have foxhunting, certainly in VIC. I saw one myself only the other week. They were even dressed up in hunting pink like they used to in the UK. My Aussie friends tell me it's a common sight, and cannot understand why the Poms worry about 'cute little foxes' as here they are considered imported vermin that destroy the native wildlife.

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.