Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take everything or nothing at all?

Take everything or nothing at all?

Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Take everything or nothing at all?

We just bought the sentimentals, daughter bought her guitar, son his pc, hubby his bike, I bought my therapy table and the usual photos etc, but seriously if you love your upright Dyson, bring it, because they are seriously expensive over here. Although Harvey Norman did do us a deal because we bought big fridge freezer, front loader and vac for cash. Cotton sofa's seem to be a mystery over here, it seems you can get either leather or suede not much else.

Its nice to have new stuff !!

Kim
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:34 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnsam
Just interested in what those who have already emigrated did in regards to shipping everything out or selling the lot and buying new in Oz. We are more for selling the lot as by the time we get out there we could probably do with a change and I couldn't face all that packing and labeling (my worst nightmare). Who thinks this wouldn't be to bad an option or should I, when the time comes, just knuckle down and get on with it.
look forward to your comments.
Sam x.
If its not nailed to the floor, bring it. If it turns out you don't need it when you get here, sell it here.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If its not nailed to the floor, bring it. If it turns out you don't need it when you get here, sell it here.
Totally agree. Bring it all.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:55 am
Just Joined

CiaoBella is an unknown quantity at this point

for the amount we spent shipping the goods, then paying for them to be delivered, plus all other hidden costs inbetween...looking back...would rather have bought all new...would have also saved my back sleeping on a blow up mattress for 3 months
Old Nov 24th 2006, 4:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CiaoBella
for the amount we spent shipping the goods, then paying for them to be delivered, plus all other hidden costs inbetween...looking back...would rather have bought all new...would have also saved my back sleeping on a blow up mattress for 3 months
it cost us 3700 pounds door to door all inclusive, no way could we have bought everything for that. we recently spent $3000 on just a dining table and entertainment unit.

I agree, bring the lot, you can get rid of it in time but it fills a space temporarily.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped around 15 boxes - memorabilia from travelling days / photos etc plus anything the kids wanted to bring with them (toys / dvds/ vids / bedroom soft furnishings). Cost us about 700 quid.We sold all our furniture back in the UK and bought new here.

Really glad we did it that way as we sent our 'shipment' July 2004 - emigrated September 2004 and due to several cockups courtesy of the shipping / packing company, our boxes didn't arrive until January 2005.

Glad we weren't 'making do' and sitting on orange boxes until the furniture arrived...that would have been 5 months from arrival without anything! :scared:
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:12 pm
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by samnsam
Just interested in what those who have already emigrated did in regards to shipping everything out or selling the lot and buying new in Oz. We are more for selling the lot as by the time we get out there we could probably do with a change and I couldn't face all that packing and labeling (my worst nightmare). Who thinks this wouldn't be to bad an option or should I, when the time comes, just knuckle down and get on with it.
look forward to your comments.
Sam x.
Hiya Sam,

We brought ten boxes with mostly the kids personal stuff and things dear to us in them, the rest we either car booted or gave away, just didn't know what kind of house we would end up in, pleased we didn't bring any furniture as it just wouldn't have gone in this house, we had a huge old house in UK and now we have a smaller modern house.

Just depends, everyone is different probably works out cheaper to bring it with you, no need to go looking for things, but then it takes ages to ship them out, you might find yourself here for few weeks before the ship arrives with your stuff. There's no real answer to this one, only you will know if you were right or not when you get here .