Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take everything or nothing at all?

Take everything or nothing at all?

Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Take everything or nothing at all?

Just interested in what those who have already emigrated did in regards to shipping everything out or selling the lot and buying new in Oz. We are more for selling the lot as by the time we get out there we could probably do with a change and I couldn't face all that packing and labeling (my worst nightmare). Who thinks this wouldn't be to bad an option or should I, when the time comes, just knuckle down and get on with it.
look forward to your comments.
Sam x.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take everything or nothing at all?

Originally Posted by samnsam
Just interested in what those who have already emigrated did in regards to shipping everything out or selling the lot and buying new in Oz. We are more for selling the lot as by the time we get out there we could probably do with a change and I couldn't face all that packing and labeling (my worst nightmare). Who thinks this wouldn't be to bad an option or should I, when the time comes, just knuckle down and get on with it.
Sam x.
I didn't bring anything and I don't regret it
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Sam x.
Personally i would bring out as much as you can with you as it all adds up when you have to replace everything!!!..not only that its nice to have some of your old things around you when setting up new home and new life over here

Claire
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:49 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Sam x.
Houses are bigger (in general) the extra furniture you bring may come in handy!

We bought everything and still are buying loads. :-( Fantastic range and style, great if you're converting £'s.

Neil.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:51 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Sam x.
Why not take all the 'big bits' that would cost alot to replace, and buy new everything else?? That's pretty much what we're doing - shipping dining room table & chairs, beds, mattreses, tv, dvd, stereos, guitar, washing machine, wardrobes drawers etc.

All that would cost a fortune to replace if buying new. Also, who's to say that you'll actually be able to sell everything before you go??

Just my thought....

Graham
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Sam x.
Hi Sam

We were originally going to take everything, but then had a good look at our stuff and decided it could do with getting renewed and I am getting fed up with it all, So we are going with just our suitcases and maybe send one box of photos, keepsakes etc.

Hassle, cost and being tied to storage it is just not worth it for us.

I am going to have a sale night where friends and family can come pick what they want and leave whatever they feel it is worth in the OZ fund box (except the big stuff that will be priced) and what is left will go to charity.

There are a few good threads on here of members who got rid and bought new over there and have listed prices etc, I ll have a look

Good luck
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Why not take all the 'big bits' that would cost alot to replace, and buy new everything else?? That's pretty much what we're doing - shipping dining room table & chairs, beds, mattreses, tv, dvd, stereos, guitar, washing machine, wardrobes drawers etc.

All that would cost a fortune to replace if buying new. Also, who's to say that you'll actually be able to sell everything before you go??

Just my thought....

Graham
Hey Graham, bit of a cheeky so and so ain't ya, I'll have you know my furniture is lovely ha ha!. The reason we thought about selling up though seriously is because nearly all our stuff is either wood or wicker and have heard that this could be a bit of a problem, so would rather not have the hassle.
Sam x.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by conat
Hi Sam

We were originally going to take everything, but then had a good look at our stuff and decided it could do with getting renewed and I am getting fed up with it all, So we are going with just our suitcases and maybe send one box of photos, keepsakes etc.

I am going to have a sale night where friends and family can come pick what they want and leave whatever they feel it is worth in the OZ fund box (except the big stuff that will be priced) and what is left will go to charity.

There are a few good threads on here of members who got rid and bought new over there and have listed prices etc, I ll have a look

Good luck
Great idea, will keep this in mind.
Thanks for that.
Sam x.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Hi Sam

Good luck

This is an excellent thread, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...iture+pricesit will give you ideas of prices etc, well worth it I think, by the time you add up storage, shippers etc
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:12 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Graham, bit of a cheeky so and so ain't ya, I'll have you know my furniture is lovely ha ha!. The reason we thought about selling up though seriously is because nearly all our stuff is either wood or wicker and have heard that this could be a bit of a problem, so would rather not have the hassle.
Sam x.
Sorry I didn't mean it like that LOL

What I mean is that it could be a lot of hassle to sell everything. Will take loads if time and effort to get rid of it, then you've got to buy it all again when you get there!! We've sold a couple of bits on ebay and also gone to a car boot sale but were suprised about how much stuff we came back with TBH

If you want to buy new then go for it. Some of th stuff we're taking we still really like (wardrobes, tv etc). Costing £1600 to get everything over there - would cost 4 or 5 times that to replace everything to the same quality.

Graham
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam

Good luck
This is what we've spent

Corner Lounger (last in stock) $399
Kids Cabin Beds $279 each
Queen size bed base $149
Dining table, 6 chairs and matching coffee table. $899
Matress - Single $399 each
Matress - Queen size $899
Fridge Freezer - $915
Microwave - $89
8.5kg Washer - $899
42" Plasma TV - $1999
TV stand - $150
Pots, Pans, Utensils etc - $400
Kettle and Toaster - $49
Bedding (2 lots for each bed) - $800
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
This is what we've spent

Corner Lounger (last in stock) $399
Kids Cabin Beds $279 each
Queen size bed base $149
Dining table, 6 chairs and matching coffee table. $899
Matress - Single $399 each
Matress - Queen size $899
Fridge Freezer - $915
Microwave - $89
8.5kg Washer - $899
42" Plasma TV - $1999
TV stand - $150
Pots, Pans, Utensils etc - $400
Kettle and Toaster - $49
Bedding (2 lots for each bed) - $800

New life, new start I just feel our stuff is not worth it to be honest and like the op said most of it is wood and bedroom furniture has rattan (sp?) drawers and fronts, also with two young kids most of it is all scratched as well

I am looking forward to shopping for new stuff (hobby of mine, much to OH dismay ) and the prices are not too bad either

Is there anything one thing you wish you did bring?

Last edited by conat; Sep 28th 2006 at 1:21 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

New life, new start I just feel our stuff is not worth it to be honest and like the op said most of it is wood and bedroom furniture has rattan (sp?) drawers and fronts, also with two young kids most of it is all scratched as well

I am looking forward to shopping for new stuff (hobby of mine, much to OH dismay ) and the prices are not too bad either

It would have cost us more to ship it than the stuff was worth TBH (I have three kids, so now just what you mean )

The shopping is fun, but a bit tiring. A few tips for you though.

1 - Shop around a bit
2 - See what the price is for cash and get them to write it down
3 - Get the prices and take them to another shop, see what they'll let you have it for
4 - HAGGLE
5 - HAGGLE a bit more
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wish I'd brought my Nickelback CD. I wanted to listen to it tonight then realised I didn't have it.

More shopping for me tomorrow

Apart from that no, I am so glad I got rid of it all. I have a house full of really nice, brand new stuff and it's fab
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northerner
Costing £1600 to get everything over there - would cost 4 or 5 times that to replace everything to the same quality.

Graham
I think that's what it comes down to really - if you have good quality/expensive stuff then it's probably worth your while to ship.
If it's old/not worth much/you're fed up with it then might as well buy over there.
We're not sending any furniture, but have sent over 20 boxes of 'stuff' (at a cost of £600) which included things like DVD recorder, hifi, crockery, kitchenware, bedding etc.
That way we only really have to go shopping for the big stuff to start with and not waste time looking around for all the other bits and bobs, which IMO is quite time consuming and also adds up money-wise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.