Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles

COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:15 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles

Hi,

Why don't people use COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles in Australia. I haven't seen any CNG stations in sydney.CNG is a cheaper fuel than petrol. But why don't we have CNG vehicles common in Australia?

Please comment

Thanks,
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough
Default Re: COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles

A lack of refuelling options limits uptake.

Have a read of this enlightening website here: http://www.greenfleet.com.au/transport/sustainable.asp
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Why don't people use COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles in Australia. I haven't seen any CNG stations in sydney.CNG is a cheaper fuel than petrol. But why don't we have CNG vehicles common in Australia?

Please comment

Thanks,
They use LPG.New Zealand had problems with CNG in the late 70,s early 80,s,govt got a lot of people to convert cars to CNG saying it would be tax free and then whacked a big tax on it.Years ago there was talk here of people having small compressors at home to fill up cars,nothing came of it.Without demand there is no infrastructure,without i/structure no demand so it will always be catch 22.I think transperth had some CNG buses for a while but now they are trialling hydrogen powered buses.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Have to say I am very impressed by the Hydrogen buses - more cities should look at this as an option for public transport.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:58 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please comment

Thanks,
Dramatic difference in performance
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:19 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles

Originally Posted by thebears
Dramatic difference in performance
Yes but it is cheaper and may be in AUD$50 you can have a roundtrip or more than that, of a big city like Sydney.There is always an option available to use the car on CNG or Petrol as per your desire or requirements.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:30 pm
Banned

Question Re: COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS (CNG) Vehicles

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
They use LPG.New Zealand had problems with CNG in the late 70,s early 80,s,govt got a lot of people to convert cars to CNG saying it would be tax free and then whacked a big tax on it.Years ago there was talk here of people having small compressors at home to fill up cars,nothing came of it.Without demand there is no infrastructure,without i/structure no demand so it will always be catch 22.I think transperth had some CNG buses for a while but now they are trialling hydrogen powered buses.
They use LPG in taxis and its very smelly. Plus I have heard few rumours that LPG is more dangerous to use in cars then CNG. The only disadvantage of CNG is the cylender space, as it may consume an extra space in your car. But for private cars it will be a good option, as you can always convert to CNG or Petrol as per owners pocket and requirements.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:21 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but it is cheaper and may be in AUD$50 you can have a roundtrip or more than that, of a big city like Sydney.There is always an option available to use the car on CNG or Petrol as per your desire or requirements.
The CNG was such a danger (in that switching suddenly from petrol to CNG going along the motorway is like engine breaking (no advance warning to those tailgating). Try climbing a 15+ degree incline in 5th gear from a stationery start .

We had a rebellion at work with all the sales reps handing back their keys when we converted the fleet over.

Hopefully improvements have been made but I for one won't even try.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 6:28 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebears
The CNG was such a danger (in that switching suddenly from petrol to CNG going along the motorway is like engine breaking (no advance warning to those tailgating). Try climbing a 15+ degree incline in 5th gear from a stationery start .

We had a rebellion at work with all the sales reps handing back their keys when we converted the fleet over.

Hopefully improvements have been made but I for one won't even try.
Only a muppet would try to climb a hill pulling away in 5th gear?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

They use LPG in taxis and its very smelly. Plus I have heard few rumours that LPG is more dangerous to use in cars then CNG. The only disadvantage of CNG is the cylender space, as it may consume an extra space in your car. But for private cars it will be a good option, as you can always convert to CNG or Petrol as per owners pocket and requirements.
Why the fascination with CNG,it isn't going to happen.All fuels are dangerous,LPG is stored in a pressure vessel (cylinder) in the boot.The vessel has to meet all relevant codes and specifications,some states it has to be checked every 10 yrs.LPG is safer than petrol,the chances of a petrol tank splitting in an accident are reasonable,a pressure vessel is very difficult to split due to design and welding specifications.When it was talked about having compressors at home Honda were gearing up to release a CNG car,nothing happened,something must be wrong with CNG.The only place I know of that tried the CNG route was NZ,it quickly disappeared.Everyone seemed to go down the LPG route,I take it it is a better fuel (or they ran a better advertising campaign).Even the Thai govt has gone down the LPG route,the Tuk TUKs that made BKK stink with two stroke fuel have disappeared,the few remaining run on LPG unless you go to the provinces,I saw a 2 stroke tuk tuk filling up at a service station in Tak.99% of taxis in BKK run on LPG (9 baht a litre,wish i could get it at that price),have done for years.For the decades i have been running cars on LPG here I have never had a problem with it,apart from freezing hoses up if the radiator cap does not hold pressure.Heaters seem to stop working and clog up as the hot water to the gas converter is taken from the heater circuit.I'm interested,why the fascination with CNG?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:30 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Rushman
Only a muppet would try to climb a hill pulling away in 5th gear?
So you can see why using CNG is the wrong choice