Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Location location location!!

Sydney - Location location location!!

Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

Lane Cove and Epping are good areas. Lane Cove does not have a train station but Epping does. Both have good transport links. I will read posts properly and will try and post in more detail tomorrow. I have lived in Sydney for nearly 30 years, well I live in the UK at the moment.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Swiss Kiwi Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like relocating to Sydney at this time is popular. We're arriving in Feb, staying in a serviced apartment in the CBD for a month and then on the hunt for places. We've got two pre-schoolers and are looking in the Eastern Suburbs. Ideally to buy, but you don't get much for your money! What are the areas like Clovelly, Randwick, Kensington like?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swiss Kiwi Brit
Seems like relocating to Sydney at this time is popular. We're arriving in Feb, staying in a serviced apartment in the CBD for a month and then on the hunt for places. We've got two pre-schoolers and are looking in the Eastern Suburbs. Ideally to buy, but you don't get much for your money! What are the areas like Clovelly, Randwick, Kensington like?
Clovelly is lovely. Great little suburb, beach fantastic for small kids and an excellent state primary school.

Randwick is a bit busier (and cheaper) but still a good area. Big hospital and Uni nearby. Handy for the beach and the city.

Kensington is a bit further away from the coast still. Many large federation houses there but the shopping's not up to much. Avoid anywhere near Anzac Parade (busy road).

All three are fine as places to live.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Mick in Sydney is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go for Drummoyne/inner west over Panania etc anyday. Yes you get a bigger house but who would want to live out there? What's the point of relocating 12,000 miles to live in a dismal suburb where the only entertainment is watching the hoons doing their street racing [or hanging out with the wrinklies feeding coins into the pokies at the local RSL]?
We have two kids and we have chosen to stay closer in to the city in a smaller house rather than move out to a bigger place with nothing happening. We can get into the city in 15 minutes and enjoy all the sights of the harbour as well as the shopping. I work in Chatswood and it's OK but a bit dull/commercial [think Arndale Centre]. St Leonards or Crows Nest would be a better bet, or anywhere else along the North Shore line past Chatswood.

Last edited by Mick in Sydney; Jan 24th 2008 at 10:56 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Another recommendation for Chatswood/Willoughby/Crow's Nest.

It's just a great area - good transport, close to the city, lots of multiculturalism, cafes, shopping, parks. Should get a decent place for your budget. Super close to the city on the bus or train. Great bike path along the freeway. Walking tracks all around.

Just a thousand percent better areas than Bankstown, Padstow etc!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, Will hopefully be arriving in Sydney in March/April. I have been looking at Kellyville, Cherrybrook, Castle Hill and surrounding areas. I understand these are areas favoured by quite a few brits?
These areas seem to be in my budget of $550k - $600k. Does anyone have any coments on these areas - good or bad!

Thanks
Chris
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sydney for me and my OH? He’ll most likely be working in the CBD and me in the centre somewhere, we don’t mind a reasonable commute (i.e.) about 30 minutes but don’t want to be too far out of Sydney or at least a large centre where we can shop, cinema, eat etc.

We’re in our 30’s, like a bit of peace but not ready for the graveyard quite yet! We have no kids, not planning on having anywhere and don’t fancy anywhere that’s too family heavy. Preferably near the sea, house or apartment we’re not really bothered for the moment and we’d have a budget to buy of around $600k.

I realise that’s quite specific but I'm hoping someone will read and go ‘hey, that sounds like where I live’ HAHA!

Thanks all,

Thérèse
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

vsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris rose
hi all, Will hopefully be arriving in Sydney in March/April. I have been looking at Kellyville, Cherrybrook, Castle Hill and surrounding areas. I understand these are areas favoured by quite a few brits?
These areas seem to be in my budget of $550k - $600k. Does anyone have any coments on these areas - good or bad!

Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris,

We lived in Sydney from Jan 2001 to Jan 2005 and lived in Glenwood which is very close to the areas you mention. When we were looking for houses, we were looking at the three areas you mention too and they are all beautiful areas and good for families. We are hoping to move back to Sydney later on this year and will be looking at Castle Hill/Kellyville/Cherrybrook/Baulkham Hills.

Your budget should buy you a nice 4 bed house with big living areas. We sold our house in Glenwood in 2005 for $585,000 and it was a very big 4 bed house. I have recently spoken to the agent who sold it and he said that house prices are relatively stable at the moment and that I could probably pick up the same house that I sold in Jan 2005 for the same price now!

Hope that helps.

Vanita
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

hi vanita,

Thanks for your info - good to hear!

all the best, chris
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:23 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
If you can afford it and still want that city buzz with all the cafes etc look around the Crows Nest (Lower North Shore) area. Also consider Lane Cove- has both pubs and family homes as well.
Pubs......that word always gets my attention!!! lol
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:32 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Pubs......that word always gets my attention!!! lol
Every day we have a look we adopt a different perspective!! Now my wife is keen on beachside living and likes the look of Coogee to the south east and Collaroy to the North East. Both seem nice suburbs and have decent transport links to the centre, especially Coogee. I give up!! I am gonna stop looking at the estate agents sites cos every time I see a great place I realise that in 2 months time when we get over there the whole availability will be different!
I still like the North Shore areas though but have conceded to her indoors that if we are gonna enjoy it and adopt the lifestyle then maybe the beaches might not be too bad. Collaroy has some lovely 3 bed apartments within our price range but has a lot of brit expats, I really wanna go native so maybe Coogee may be the better option. No doubt the month of April will be a suburb/house hunting intensive time! As long as we don't HAVE to buy a car then I will be happy, might get a little runaround for the big shopping trips but I wanna commute using public transport...let the train/bus take the strain!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sydney for me and my OH? He’ll most likely be working in the CBD and me in the centre somewhere, we don’t mind a reasonable commute (i.e.) about 30 minutes but don’t want to be too far out of Sydney or at least a large centre where we can shop, cinema, eat etc.

We’re in our 30’s, like a bit of peace but not ready for the graveyard quite yet! We have no kids, not planning on having anywhere and don’t fancy anywhere that’s too family heavy. Preferably near the sea, house or apartment we’re not really bothered for the moment and we’d have a budget to buy of around $600k.

I realise that’s quite specific but I'm hoping someone will read and go ‘hey, that sounds like where I live’ HAHA!

Thanks all,

Thérèse
If you want to live near the beach and don't mind an apartment, then the eastern suburbs are for you. $600k won't buy you a house but it will get a good 2 bedroom apartment possibly quite close to the beach.

The east is within 30 minutes commute by bus (or train if you're near Bondi Junction). Shopping in Bondi Junction is fantastic - huge shopping mall. More cafes, restaurants than you can poke a stick at in the area.

Check out Bondi (some parts are quiet and residential, others are a bit noisier), Bronte, Coogee, Dover Heights, Double Bay, Rose Bay.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Personally, if I only had one child (rather than my good Irish brood of 3 ) I would make very different housing choices to the "leafy suburb, family area, blah blah" that I have to with kids ranging from 4-14. Sydney is an absolutely beautiful city, with lots going on, and with one young child you can enjoy the more urban stuff, cafe culture, free concerts in parks etc. much easier if you live in say Glebe or Balmain, rather than further out on the North Shore. I was reading in the paper recently about the fact that many couples with young children who would usually have moved further out once they started a family are choosing to stay in the city as they don't want to give up the lifestyle on their doorstep. There are lots of lovely (very Sydney) terraces with plenty of space for a family of three, and you don't have to drive for 15 minutes to get to a pub! Drummoyne might also be worth checking out - my sister lived there with two young kids and loved it.
Do you know, city affordability would be one of the major reaons behind me only have the 1 kid.......I reckon it might even decrease the birth rate in that demographic!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

- sounds like lots of us hitting Sydney at similar times!

We are arriving early April, and have been looking at the Northern Beaches. We were over last year to validate, and absolutely loved Avalon. It seems perfect for the family (wife and I, kids aged 11, 10 and 7), but my query is regarding the commute.

I am assuming that I will be working in the CBD (although North Sydney is also possible). The express bus takes 1 hr 15 mins, which feels like it should be OK (my current commute is pretty similar (on a good day)), but wondered if anyone could offer any reassurance as to the reliability of these times.
Thanks in advance.

SG

PS - to the poster looking for serviced appartments in Sydney:

http://www.reefresort.com.au/
http://www.sydneylakeside.com.au/
http://www.medina.com.au/
http://www.riverview.com.au/riverview.htm
http://www.pacrimapartments.com.au/
http://www.meritonapartments.com.au/
http://www.staymint.com/
http://www.theoaksgroup.com.au/Property.aspx?sid=10

Don't know any of them, but will be looking at them in more detail over the coming weeks.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:23 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you want to live near the beach and don't mind an apartment, then the eastern suburbs are for you. $600k won't buy you a house but it will get a good 2 bedroom apartment possibly quite close to the beach.

The east is within 30 minutes commute by bus (or train if you're near Bondi Junction). Shopping in Bondi Junction is fantastic - huge shopping mall. More cafes, restaurants than you can poke a stick at in the area.

Check out Bondi (some parts are quiet and residential, others are a bit noisier), Bronte, Coogee, Dover Heights, Double Bay, Rose Bay.
that's fantastic, many thanks Nicky! Certainly gives me a place to start looking (when I'm supposed to be working..haha!) and some areas to check out if we need to validate before we move.

all the best,

Therese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.