Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Location location location!!

Sydney - Location location location!!

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Koalabaer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

Originally Posted by IvanM
Probably one every 5 to 10 minutes at rush hour. Took me about 30 mins the last time I took it which was about 4:30pm. I took it because cityrail was rooted that day.
Thank you IvanM, I thought that would have been less than half a hour but it's like that..
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Does anyone know what the noise levels are like from the airport around Brighton-le-sands to Sans Souci and how easy it is to get into CBD from there?

Le Sands is parallel to the airport and about 2-3km abeam across the water, so there is no significant noise unless China Southern muck up their ILS approach on a clear crisp and blue day, which they do quite alot

you might get a bit if 07/25 is in use, but thats rare and typically in adverse wx

Noise analysis http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...001/sy01q1.pdf

Seriously, no issue in Le Sands, hope you speak Greek

getting to the CBD is ok, walk to Kogarah, Rockdale, Wolli creek and train it or Drive via M5 and take a Wilbur smith to read on the way......

Last edited by deryans; Feb 26th 2008 at 10:06 am. Reason: getting to cbd
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by deryans
Le Sands is parallel to the airport and about 2-3km abeam across the water, so there is no significant noise unless China Southern muck up their ILS approach on a clear crisp and blue day, which they do quite alot

you might get a bit if 07/25 is in use, but thats rare and typically in adverse wx

getting to the CBD is ok, walk to Kogarah, Rockdale, Wolli creek and train it or Drive via M5 and take a Wilbur smith to read on the way......
Noticed on city Hobo that there is a big Greek influence in le Sands.

Are the schools, shopping, beaches, pubs OK there?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans

Sounds like an aviation chap there!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyo
Sounds like an aviation chap there!!
I didn't want to appear stupid by admitting I had no idea what the terms meant

Last edited by Wigan Warrior; Feb 26th 2008 at 6:50 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Noticed on city Hobo that there is a big Greek influence in le Sands.

That in my opnion is a good thing, Greeks have integrated very well into Aussie society, and I can count some as my very good friends.

Beaches OK, main drag always seems bloody busy on a weekend when I cycle , Pubs and Restaurants good, it's a bit sea-sidey and chav-ish (you know Southsea on a long weekend) at weekends, but the restaurants will definitely be family friendly if they are greek.

Cannot advise on Schools.

No idea about shopping .. sorry don't have that gene.

Last edited by deryans; Feb 27th 2008 at 1:26 am. Reason: Shopping Gene
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton-le-sands beach is not one that you'd make a point of travelling to, but it's 100% better than having no beach.

There's no surf there, of course, and the airport, a container terminal and an oil refinery are on the other side of the water - but it's not too bad. There are a couple of fenced-off pool areas for swimming and a nice park area along the edge for BBQs etc. Always loads of people walking along the water's edge. The outlook improves when you go a bit further south, round the corner towards Dolls Point.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Brighton-le-sands beach is not one that you'd make a point of travelling to, but it's 100% better than having no beach.

There's no surf there, of course, and the airport, a container terminal and an oil refinery are on the other side of the water - but it's not too bad. There are a couple of fenced-off pool areas for swimming and a nice park area along the edge for BBQs etc. Always loads of people walking along the water's edge. The outlook improves when you go a bit further south, round the corner towards Dolls Point.
and the beach sits on the road to hell.
its its at a standstill all weekend
your right, dolls point is very nice
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soapy
and the beach sits on the road to hell.
its its at a standstill all weekend
your right, dolls point is very nice
How easy is it to get into CBD from Dolls Point/Sans Souci/Sandringham?

Any body know what shops/schools/beaches/pubs etc.. like around there?

Last edited by Wigan Warrior; Feb 27th 2008 at 7:19 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

How easy is it to get into CBD from Dolls Point/Sans Souci/Sandringham?

Any body know what shops/schools/beaches/pubs etc.. like around there?
Matey,
If you go on Cityhobo you can find each suburb individually and within each suburb it has listings down the left had side which tells you all the schools, shops, medical facilities etc. I didn't realise it was there and when I did thought it was generic, but upon further poking it is actually a really good mine of information.
Not sure if it mentions pubs though
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:02 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Koalabaer
Thank you IvanM, I thought that would have been less than half a hour but it's like that..
It can be less and it can be more depending on the traffic. A large proportion of the journey is up Oxford Street which is very stop start.