Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Location location location!!

Sydney - Location location location!!

Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you want to live near the beach and don't mind an apartment, then the eastern suburbs are for you. $600k won't buy you a house but it will get a good 2 bedroom apartment possibly quite close to the beach.

The east is within 30 minutes commute by bus (or train if you're near Bondi Junction). Shopping in Bondi Junction is fantastic - huge shopping mall. More cafes, restaurants than you can poke a stick at in the area.

Check out Bondi (some parts are quiet and residential, others are a bit noisier), Bronte, Coogee, Dover Heights, Double Bay, Rose Bay.
I lived in the Eastern Suburbs for a couple of years (quite some time ago).

Bondi Junction is great as a shopping/transport hub, but not sure that I would necessarily want to actually live there.

There are a number of suburbs within walking distance of the train station (e.g. Waverley) which would maybe also suit. Bronte is also fantastic as a suburb (and seems to have changed a lot over the last 15 years).
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprite_green
I lived in the Eastern Suburbs for a couple of years (quite some time ago).

Bondi Junction is great as a shopping/transport hub, but not sure that I would necessarily want to actually live there.

There are a number of suburbs within walking distance of the train station (e.g. Waverley) which would maybe also suit. Bronte is also fantastic as a suburb (and seems to have changed a lot over the last 15 years).
Bondi Junction is MUCH better than it used to be for shopping. We have a huge 5-storey Westfield shopping centre now complete with a multiplex and two food courts (a posh one and a fast-food one!). I also wouldn't want to live in the Junction itself but Bondi itself (Bondi Beach, North or South Bondi) is a good spot if you can find a quiet street. Also Queens Park (the 'better' end of Bondi Junction) is fine. Waverley would also be a good pick - forgot about that one in my list. Also the top end of Bellevue Hill has a lot of apartments so worth looking at, too.

Bronte is a great suburb (used to live there) but not many apartments - it's mainly houses and semis but it would be worth checking out.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

- sounds like lots of us hitting Sydney at similar times!

We are arriving early April, and have been looking at the Northern Beaches. We were over last year to validate, and absolutely loved Avalon. It seems perfect for the family (wife and I, kids aged 11, 10 and 7), but my query is regarding the commute.

I am assuming that I will be working in the CBD (although North Sydney is also possible). The express bus takes 1 hr 15 mins, which feels like it should be OK (my current commute is pretty similar (on a good day)), but wondered if anyone could offer any reassurance as to the reliability of these times.
Thanks in advance.

SG
Anyone?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris rose
hi all, Will hopefully be arriving in Sydney in March/April. I have been looking at Kellyville, Cherrybrook, Castle Hill and surrounding areas. I understand these are areas favoured by quite a few brits?
These areas seem to be in my budget of $550k - $600k. Does anyone have any coments on these areas - good or bad!

Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris

I'm a local so know these areas very well. Depending on your needs, you'll be attracted to certain streets more than others. Cherrybrook is the closest to the city and is pretty well serviced by CBD buses, no trains in these suburbs of the Hills. Castle Hill is the centre of the Hills and has great shopping, restaurants and parks. $600K is only going to get you a small house or duplex in CH and Cherrybrook but more at Kellyville- mind you, it's further out and there are old and new sections (older being cheaper).
Check out the websites realestate and domain for prices and let me know if you need any more info. The Hills are a great place to live in Sydney
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

"The Avalon-CBD express bus takes 1 hr 15 mins ..."

That's optimistic! More like 90 minutes on a good day. Traffic across the Spit Bridge bottleneck is bad. And the bus is packed.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michael_w

That's optimistic! More like 90 minutes on a good day. Traffic across the Spit Bridge bottleneck is bad. And the bus is packed.
Thanks Michael - I'm looking for realistic feedback, so very much appreciated.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:44 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w

You know, I hear nothing but bad news about that bloody Spit Bridge!! Aside from the North Shore areas we are now seriously looking at Collaroy and I would have to rely on the bus, but, if I am working in the CBD then I'll get the bus to Manly and get the Ferry the rest of the way.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
You know, I hear nothing but bad news about that bloody Spit Bridge!! Aside from the North Shore areas we are now seriously looking at Collaroy and I would have to rely on the bus, but, if I am working in the CBD then I'll get the bus to Manly and get the Ferry the rest of the way.
Paddy - Just noticed you are in Hook: We are in Fleet (about 10 miles up the M3)! When are you heading over?

I like the idea of getting to Manly, but just think that it could mean a 3-stage journey (depending where you are working in the CBD). Each change normally means more chance of delays, etc.

Having said that - I love the idea of getting the ferry to work (I lived in Mosman on my first stay), and used to get the ferry on occasions. Fantastic way to start the day.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:57 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Paddy - Just noticed you are in Hook: We are in Fleet (about 10 miles up the M3)! When are you heading over?

I like the idea of getting to Manly, but just think that it could mean a 3-stage journey (depending where you are working in the CBD). Each change normally means more chance of delays, etc.

Having said that - I love the idea of getting the ferry to work (I lived in Mosman on my first stay), and used to get the ferry on occasions. Fantastic way to start the day.
Flying out on 25th March
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:50 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I would rather have a 3 stage journey then be sat waiting at spit bridge for 20 mins!!! lol Also as you say, the idea of ferrying into the centre of sydney does have its appeal, especially during the summer!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

EmnKay is a jewel in the roughEmnKay is a jewel in the roughEmnKay is a jewel in the roughEmnKay is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

I've lived in Lane Cove/Riverview for the last 2 years, after moving with my partner and our 2 boys from Portsmouth. I really can't recommend it highly enough for families, and also for access to the city. I can drop the kids at the local Public School (which is superb) hop on a bus (every 5-10 mins and dirt cheap) and be in the CBD in 15 minutes. Rentals here aren't cheap though. For a no-frills-but-fine 3 bed house you're looking at 550-750 per week. For something really nice and / or a pool it's lot more BUT it's such a nice place. Has a very 'villagey' feel about it, but has loads of places to eat, get coffee etc, and of course the PUB! (millions of other pubs too within 10 mins travel).

Perfect place if you have young children. Always tons of mums with babies and toddlers hanging around in the plaza.

Just my thoughts! Good Luck.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

moonstaruk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmnKay
I've lived in Lane Cove/Riverview for the last 2 years, after moving with my partner and our 2 boys from Portsmouth. I really can't recommend it highly enough for families, and also for access to the city. I can drop the kids at the local Public School (which is superb) hop on a bus (every 5-10 mins and dirt cheap) and be in the CBD in 15 minutes. Rentals here aren't cheap though. For a no-frills-but-fine 3 bed house you're looking at 550-750 per week. For something really nice and / or a pool it's lot more BUT it's such a nice place. Has a very 'villagey' feel about it, but has loads of places to eat, get coffee etc, and of course the PUB! (millions of other pubs too within 10 mins travel).

Perfect place if you have young children. Always tons of mums with babies and toddlers hanging around in the plaza.

Just my thoughts! Good Luck.
I'm a young singleton heading over in a few months. I'll be working in the city. I've seen a couple of areas i really like. I enjoy playing golf and also am a really good soccer player so these two social aspects are important for me as is a beach, I've looked around the double bay area's and bondi? any ideas anyone? thank you!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:38 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by moonstaruk
I'm a young singleton heading over in a few months. I'll be working in the city. I've seen a couple of areas i really like. I enjoy playing golf and also am a really good soccer player so these two social aspects are important for me as is a beach, I've looked around the double bay area's and bondi? any ideas anyone? thank you!!!!
For soccer try Collaroy, has great beach, loads of Uk expats and decent transport into city. Don't know about golf but there are a few in the north shore/northern areas.
Double Bay is nice but expensive (Double Bay = Double Pay!!) and Bondi is full of backpackers!! But my mate lives in Bondi and loves it, he too works in the CBD and its easy to get to work.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

moonstaruk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
For soccer try Collaroy, has great beach, loads of Uk expats and decent transport into city. Don't know about golf but there are a few in the north shore/northern areas.
Double Bay is nice but expensive (Double Bay = Double Pay!!) and Bondi is full of backpackers!! But my mate lives in Bondi and loves it, he too works in the CBD and its easy to get to work.
cheers for that!

damn it, just even more difficult to decide wheres best for me!!!

Collaroy, right i'm on it!!! I really liked double bay, and found a class apartment for a good price for sydney! bondi, erm i'll remember that its full of bp sometimes that can be best so i can get to meet people i guess!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:05 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by moonstaruk
cheers for that!

damn it, just even more difficult to decide wheres best for me!!!

Collaroy, right i'm on it!!! I really liked double bay, and found a class apartment for a good price for sydney! bondi, erm i'll remember that its full of bp sometimes that can be best so i can get to meet people i guess!!!
Bear in mind, until you actually get out there you really can't tell. WE will not any decision on location till we spend a few weeks there looking at all our options. What looks good on a website can look very different in reality, don't forget they are selling the place so never point out the bad bits!! Would you buy a car off autotrader without looking at it in person?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.