Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney crime zones to avoid

Sydney crime zones to avoid

Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney crime zones to avoid

Originally Posted by Laxor
Places in the south west like Cabramatta which have more residents born in Vietnam than Australia would never be any interest to British expats anyway you would stand out like a sore thumb.

You really need to do list the suburbs that suit you best price wise then do a wrecky to check them out first hand.

If I had to make a pick from this list

"Kogorah
Penhurst
Mortdale
Oatley
Strathfield
Asfield
Burwood Heights
Hurstville"

Mortdale and Oatley would be the most family oriented and leafy of the group.

Hurstville, Strathfield and Ashfield are more bustling and multicultural. Penshurst and burwood would maybe be somewhere in between.
Both Mortdale and Oatley looks good on google map and domain.com. Thanks. How far are they from CBD? You take trains or buses?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thelankanman
Well according to Lawlink, Sydney (Main) has the highest crime rate, followed by the likes of Paramatta, Bankstown and Blacktown etc...
blacktown isn't really that bad . parts of the district might be such as mt druitt and nearby areas but blacktown itself not really, i think chatham/gillingham in kent was worse
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
blacktown isn't really that bad . parts of the district might be such as mt druitt and nearby areas but blacktown itself not really, i think chatham/gillingham in kent was worse
Talk about damned by faint praise....

(and I can say that because I'm a Medway towns girl....)
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:18 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
One bloke was shot in broad daylight yesteday in Sydney west. That attests to the view that Sydney west is generally unsafe.
*Sigh*

'Sydney West' is not a small little area riddled with crime you know! The term covers a huge area which varies from leafy suburban streets with multi-million dollar homes to the more stereotypical view of a rough area. I reckon you're much more likely to be bashed in Coogee or some other eastern suburb than 'the west'!

Graham
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by louie
Talk about damned by faint praise....

(and I can say that because I'm a Medway towns girl....)
a lot of people there seem to be kind of proud of the place yet call it a shithole at the same time!
medway as a whole is ok it's just certain parts that r dives - especially around chatham/gillingham town and parts of strood (i used to stay in that mini slum called AMAT in meadowbank road!)
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northerner
*Sigh*

'Sydney West' is not a small little area riddled with crime you know! The term covers a huge area which varies from leafy suburban streets with multi-million dollar homes to the more stereotypical view of a rough area. I reckon you're much more likely to be bashed in Coogee or some other eastern suburb than 'the west'!

Graham
I agree with you, the entire West may not be crime-prone. However, for the ignorant and unassuming new immigrants, it would rather be a difficult task to cherry-pick specific safe spots without substantial local knowledge. So, a safer bet for us would be to avoid the entire area altogether during the initial move. Later, when we become as smart as you are, we can shift to those safe havens in the west.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:26 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
Later, when we become as smart as you are...
I doubt it will ever happen...