Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney crime zones to avoid

Sydney crime zones to avoid

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sydney crime zones to avoid

What are some of the crime-prone suburbs in Sydney a new immigrant with a 2-year old baby should avoid? Redfern, Kings Cross, Mt. Druitt........ and what else? Does crime rate generally increase as you go further west?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

MrXnotMrY has a spectacular aura aboutMrXnotMrY has a spectacular aura aboutMrXnotMrY has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sydney crime zones to avoid

Originally Posted by caliburn
What are some of the crime-prone suburbs in Sydney a new immigrant with a 2-year old baby should avoid? Redfern, Kings Cross, Mt. Druitt........ and what else? Does crime rate generally increase as you go further west?
Hi Caliburn,
The NSW stats are at http://bocd.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/bocd/cmd/crime/Init select the 'Region By Offence' option. If you want to compare specific areas try http://bocd.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/bocd/...imetrends/Init .

Once you have a few areas in mind my advice would be to attend the local police stations and ask to talk to the crime prevention officers there (you’ll probably need to make an appointment). It is their day job to know about crime risks in the area and to communicate the real picture to you rather than the usual media hyped picture which can distort the fear or crime in an area. There is a link at the bottom of this page http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues .

Check out http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/communi...ime_prevention for info on 'Home and Unit Security Assessment' as well.

MrX
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'd read the online papers and get a feel for what's going on - or at least being reported.

It's usually mainly in the "south west", there is often drunken weekend violence down Oxford Street, the Bra Boys run parts of the eastern beaches and the bikies like firebombing tattoo parlours.

The North Shore is not as crime-free as you might think either - kids visit, get drunk and run riot the Yummy Mummy suburb of Manly, and recently a SWAT team surprised the sleepy diners at one of my local (McMahons Point) cafes by coming in through the windows.

Gangsters like to live in nice areas, too but at least they mostly target each other.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just to illustrate my previous post, I've just seen the top 3 NSW stories in this morning's Australian (website):

Stun guns, drugs found in raid
STUN guns and drugs have been seized in a raid on a home in Sydney's south west, police said.

Thieves flee with cash after ATM blast
MASKED bandits made off with cash after an ATM explosion on Sydney's north shore.

Clubhouse blown up, shots fired
A BIKER gang clubhouse has been blown up and shots fired into a nearby tattoo parlour in Sydney's inner west.

I'd forgotten about the ATMs.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all for your responses. So, the general consensus seems to be to avoid the south-western suburbs.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:04 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your responses. So, the general consensus seems to be to avoid the south-western suburbs.
Yes let the real estate agent rob you legally
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

thelankanman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well according to Lawlink, Sydney (Main) has the highest crime rate, followed by the likes of Paramatta, Bankstown and Blacktown etc...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

This is a massive generalisation but I would avoid the West completely. Inner west is pretty 'urban' and better close to the harbour. I would avoid Glebe - it is a student area with higher crime. Eastern suburbs are generally OK (stick to the East of Anzac Parade) - but I have noticed far more problems with teenagers lately and a massive rise in graffitti. The North is generally the best bet - if you can afford it. Manly is nice but a bit of a sea side/party suburb. Also be prepared for a huge rental shortage if you need to rent, especially for cheaper properties (i.e. under $550 per week). But there are lots of nice areas in Sydney - just depends on your finances.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thelankanman
Well according to Lawlink, Sydney (Main) has the highest crime rate, followed by the likes of Paramatta, Bankstown and Blacktown etc...
Well, very interesting...... who lives in Parramatta, Blackstown, Bankstown and the likes then?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:18 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, very interesting...... who lives in Parramatta, Blackstown, Bankstown and the likes then?
They are actually quite large areas and nearby to them are some reasonable suburbs. Most people would love to live east near the beach but whats your budget? Then you can start to look at where you can live and whats a good area for a young family.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IvanM
They are actually quite large areas and nearby to them are some reasonable suburbs. Most people would love to live east near the beach but whats your budget? Then you can start to look at where you can live and whats a good area for a young family.
I have budgeted $400/w for rental. In the east, Eastlakes and Randwick suburbs appear good. Any views?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:49 pm
Auntie Fa

I haven't done any research on those areas but $400 sounds low for anywhere suitable for a family, so close to the city.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

*sucks through teeth* actually on looking there are some on within budget... but you'd have to look and see if you'd actually want to live in that area where the apartments are cheap - dont really know randwick so cant help.

but i know from looking at rentals - there is usally a very good reason why a property is cheap.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

If i was going to move to sydney I'd go to Newtown but that wouldnt fit my budget nor yours LOL
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

galwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant future

Hi
Will you be at home all day with baby or will you work.? Sometimes the travel time getting to and from work and time away from baby become a drain and difficult to handle. The extra cost of renting say on the North Shore against convenience and ease of travel are well worth it. We lived in Sydney for 20+ years and would recommend the North Shore. It might not be as expensive as you think...... all things considered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.