British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney CBD after-work drink meet up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-cbd-after-work-drink-meet-up-401034/)

chels Nov 21st 2006 2:53 pm

Re: Sydney CBD after-work drink meet up

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Also, I've invited some folks who just wouldn't get in there,

S

Why not? What's wrong with them?

Swerv-o Nov 21st 2006 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by chels
Why not? What's wrong with them?

Nothing at all - but they just don't fit the door policy of the place. I wasn't always a well heeled professional you know...

S

sour kraut Nov 22nd 2006 1:57 pm

So nobody meeting today?
Somebody just recommended the 'Red Oak' or something to me (pub on Clement St?), anybody got any experience with that particular establishment?
sk

Swerv-o Nov 22nd 2006 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by sour kraut
So nobody meeting today?
Somebody just recommended the 'Red Oak' or something to me (pub on Clement St?), anybody got any experience with that particular establishment?
sk

Yes, it's a really nice bar. They serve a variety of middle European style beers, along the lines of the Belgian beer cafe, so you should feel right at home! The Pilsner is excellent.

As with the Belgian, they do have odd licencing laws though, and there are strangenesses about what you can and can't order form the menu. I think they have a restaurant licence, and not a bar one, so you may have to buy food? We have always bought a plate of chips when we have been there in the past.

Are you coming out to play tomorrow night?

S

sour kraut Nov 22nd 2006 3:26 pm

Ah, sounds like I'll have to check it out one day.

About tomorrow, I'm feeling much too old and tired this week to go clubbing. I know, it's sad. :zzz:
Have a nice birthday, though! Maybe you'll even remember it on the weekend...

kbryant Nov 23rd 2006 10:29 am

Yes, it's a really nice bar. They serve a variety of middle European style beers, along the lines of the Belgian beer cafe, so you should feel right at home! The Pilsner is excellent.

As with the Belgian, they do have odd licencing laws though, and there are strangenesses about what you can and can't order form the menu. I think they have a restaurant licence, and not a bar one, so you may have to buy food? We have always bought a plate of chips when we have been there in the past.

Are you coming out to play tomorrow night?

S

Will definitely try to make it tonight. Happy Birthday, hope you are having a good day :)

Swerv-o Nov 27th 2006 4:21 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone that made it to The Metropolitan Hotel on Friday night for my birthday.

I was sat in the place on my own at 7:20 thinking "Bugger", so I was somewhat relieved when people started showing up.

We managed to stay in the same bar all evening, but it seemed ok, so was probably for the best. By the end of the evening, I was a gibbering wreck, so didn't make it to Retro. Sorry to K and C for that, but I just can't do this early start drinking!

Definitely next time though!

So, once again, to all who attended, many thanks.

S

northerner Nov 27th 2006 9:23 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone that made it to The Metropolitan Hotel on Friday night for my birthday.

I was sat in the place on my own at 7:20 thinking "Bugger", so I was somewhat relieved when people started showing up.

We managed to stay in the same bar all evening, but it seemed ok, so was probably for the best. By the end of the evening, I was a gibbering wreck, so didn't make it to Retro. Sorry to K and C for that, but I just can't do this early start drinking!

Definitely next time though!

So, once again, to all who attended, many thanks.

S

And a big slap on the wrists for those who didn't LOL :D

Glad you had a good time guys, really sorry we couldn't make it - it's just been crazy busy recently, haven't even been able to log on here for a while :eek:

So, Swerv-o, can you actually remember anything of the night or is it all a bit blurry?! :beer: :D

Graham

Swerv-o Nov 28th 2006 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by northerner
And a big slap on the wrists for those who didn't LOL :D

Glad you had a good time guys, really sorry we couldn't make it - it's just been crazy busy recently, haven't even been able to log on here for a while :eek:

So, Swerv-o, can you actually remember anything of the night or is it all a bit blurry?! :beer: :D

Graham

Well, why don't you make it up tomorrow evening and join us for a beer or two? Someone has suggested meeting in Redoak on Sussex Street for a couple of post work beers.

Anyone interested?

S

stevemich Nov 28th 2006 4:14 pm

Well, why don't you make it up tomorrow evening and join us for a beer or two? Someone has suggested meeting in Redoak on Sussex Street for a couple of post work beers.

Anyone interested?

S

what time ya thinking of startin??

Swerv-o Nov 28th 2006 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by stevemich
what time ya thinking of startin??

Usually about half 6/7 ish. No real structured times.

stevemich Nov 28th 2006 4:23 pm

Usually about half 6/7 ish. No real structured times.

That means a trip home then back to the city...
Hmmm....

Swerv-o Nov 28th 2006 8:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about this, but owing to things beyond my control that I am not really at liberty to go into here, tomorrows drinks will be held at:

The London Hotel
Darling Street
Balmain

From 6:30pm

It's just down the hill a bit from Woolworths

Sorry about the last minute change of plan, but needs must on this occasion.

Hope to see some of you there - I have had confimations from 5 people so far, so the more the merrier.

S

chels Nov 29th 2006 9:51 am

gosh, Thursday already! Doesn't it come round quickly...

sour kraut Nov 29th 2006 1:43 pm

Hey, the LONDON is really nice, especially the view from the balcony! Anybody hesitant should really go along! Unfortunately I can't make it, as I'm at my sponsor's Christmas Party tonight (I will be surrounded by Brits in any case though, just can't get away from them :p ), but have fun!
Glad to hear you had a nice Birthday, swerv-o.
sk