Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stranger at the Dinner table

Stranger at the Dinner table

Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stranger at the Dinner table

Originally Posted by Sue
I used to work for a non-profit that helped a lot of homeless people and I always wondered what to do when they I saw them begging at the intersections while cars are waiting for the traffic lights to change. As someone else noted, how can you be sure that the money you give them will go on food? So I was advised by a couple of people I worked with to keep a one or two packs of food (crackers, and cans of cold meat that could be easily opened with a pull tag thingy ... what ever they are called) in the car and then give that to them along with a bit of paper that listed help organizations. So thats what I did. May not have been what they were expecting, but at least it meant that ate that day if nothing else.
I remember when we were in the US on holidays years ago and being approached by heaps of homeless people asking for money - after a week or so my husband started offering to buy them a hotdog, only a couple of people took him up on the offer, the others gave up and walked away.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:51 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
How very dare you
The devil made me type it
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like both my children. Wander in at tea time, sit down, wolf down the food, make no attempt to converse, grunt a few things and wander off when finished - plates, cups and mess left on the table.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:38 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I used to work for a non-profit that helped a lot of homeless people and I always wondered what to do when they I saw them begging at the intersections while cars are waiting for the traffic lights to change. As someone else noted, how can you be sure that the money you give them will go on food? So I was advised by a couple of people I worked with to keep a one or two packs of food (crackers, and cans of cold meat that could be easily opened with a pull tag thingy ... what ever they are called) in the car and then give that to them along with a bit of paper that listed help organizations. So thats what I did. May not have been what they were expecting, but at least it meant that ate that day if nothing else.
That's a good idea, Sue, it sounds like a plan
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Sounds like both my children. Wander in at tea time, sit down, wolf down the food, make no attempt to converse, grunt a few things and wander off when finished - plates, cups and mess left on the table.
Bloody true, that!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:21 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What lovely people you and your mate are I love that you didn't judge her, it doesn't matter why she was hungry, just that she was. o
I agree.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Funniest / Strangest thing that's happened in ages, you couldn't make this stuff up.

On Saturday night I met up with an old friend in Manly on Sydney's Northern Beaches, where I first lived when emigrating in 1993. Anyway, we went to one of my favourite Indian Restaurants in the area for dinner and ordered a mixed platter for starters.

Just as the waitress brought the platter to our table, a very scruffy, rough looking young girl ( I would say about 17 or 18 ) walked up to our table and sat down. Without even saying hello, she started helping herself to everything and using only her fingers, she ate everything on the plate.

We had finished off a few pints by this stage and were in a jolly mood and quite amused by what we were seeing. We tried to ask her who she was, what her name was, where she was from - I think we were very nice to her actually considering what she was doing. In a short period of about 3 minutes, she ate 2 large Samosas, 2 Chicken Tandoori pieces, 2 lamb kebabs and 2 lamb cutlets, a whole dish of mango chutney, Raita and even the shredded lettuce and orange slice that everyone leaves.

Without even saying thanks or answering any of our questions she just stood up and left. I am not sure what her situation was, but I hope she enjoyed the free feed and doesn't end up in any serious trouble anytime soon.

Of course the restaurant were not amused and wouldn't give us a discount off the bill. Good curry though, and excellent Naan.
Very kind and understanding of you

Personally I would have had the restaurants security people toss her out on her ear and had the dishes she had contaminated replaced in an eye blink.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Very kind and understanding of you

Personally I would have had the restaurants security people toss her out on her ear and had the dishes she had contaminated replaced in an eye blink.
When the munchies hit they can hit REALLY hard.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
When the munchies hit they can hit REALLY hard.
If they can afford the dope, they can afford to buy their own tucker.

Much cheaper than having to pay the gap fees associated with having a proctologist remove my fork from where I'd put it if they stole my grub
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Your too nice, personally if she didnt answer my questions I would have walked up to the waiter and asked her to be removed, then if they couldn't remove her I would have walked out and left her with the bill.
If she had chatted and said she was hungry and needed help then of course I would have been happy to help her, but for her to just ignore you, thats out of order.

Lifes tough for everyone, you have to be careful to not get taken advantage of
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Mystery girl who only communicated by writing messages after being found wandering streets of Dublin is revealed to be Australian
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...in-street.html
Is this your girl??

Last edited by irishbloo; Nov 6th 2013 at 11:15 am. Reason: sorting link
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Your too nice, personally if she didnt answer my questions I would have walked up to the waiter and asked her to be removed, then if they couldn't remove her I would have walked out and left her with the bill.
If she had chatted and said she was hungry and needed help then of course I would have been happy to help her, but for her to just ignore you, thats out of order.

Lifes tough for everyone, you have to be careful to not get taken advantage of
Yes that was my attitude as well but it seemed to be very unPC in the thread.

Next? Girl comes up to a person with a trolley load of goods in the supermarket after paying for them and runs off with the trolley. Good on ya' for allowing that?