Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stranger at the Dinner table

Stranger at the Dinner table

Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:34 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stranger at the Dinner table

Funniest / Strangest thing that's happened in ages, you couldn't make this stuff up.

On Saturday night I met up with an old friend in Manly on Sydney's Northern Beaches, where I first lived when emigrating in 1993. Anyway, we went to one of my favourite Indian Restaurants in the area for dinner and ordered a mixed platter for starters.

Just as the waitress brought the platter to our table, a very scruffy, rough looking young girl ( I would say about 17 or 18 ) walked up to our table and sat down. Without even saying hello, she started helping herself to everything and using only her fingers, she ate everything on the plate.

We had finished off a few pints by this stage and were in a jolly mood and quite amused by what we were seeing. We tried to ask her who she was, what her name was, where she was from - I think we were very nice to her actually considering what she was doing. In a short period of about 3 minutes, she ate 2 large Samosas, 2 Chicken Tandoori pieces, 2 lamb kebabs and 2 lamb cutlets, a whole dish of mango chutney, Raita and even the shredded lettuce and orange slice that everyone leaves.

Without even saying thanks or answering any of our questions she just stood up and left. I am not sure what her situation was, but I hope she enjoyed the free feed and doesn't end up in any serious trouble anytime soon.

Of course the restaurant were not amused and wouldn't give us a discount off the bill. Good curry though, and excellent Naan.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stranger at the Dinner table

Haha, excellent. Little bugger, I hope she really needed it. Very nice of you to not cause a fuss.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:37 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Funniest / Strangest thing that's happened in ages, you couldn't make this stuff up.

On Saturday night I met up with an old friend in Manly on Sydney's Northern Beaches, where I first lived when emigrating in 1993. Anyway, we went to one of my favourite Indian Restaurants in the area for dinner and ordered a mixed platter for starters.

Just as the waitress brought the platter to our table, a very scruffy, rough looking young girl ( I would say about 17 or 18 ) walked up to our table and sat down. Without even saying hello, she started helping herself to everything and using only her fingers, she ate everything on the plate.

We had finished off a few pints by this stage and were in a jolly mood and quite amused by what we were seeing. We tried to ask her who she was, what her name was, where she was from - I think we were very nice to her actually considering what she was doing. In a short period of about 3 minutes, she ate 2 large Samosas, 2 Chicken Tandoori pieces, 2 lamb kebabs and 2 lamb cutlets, a whole dish of mango chutney, Raita and even the shredded lettuce and orange slice that everyone leaves.

Without even saying thanks or answering any of our questions she just stood up and left. I am not sure what her situation was, but I hope she enjoyed the free feed and doesn't end up in any serious trouble anytime soon.

Of course the restaurant were not amused and wouldn't give us a discount off the bill. Good curry though, and excellent Naan.
Did you get to eat any of it?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I've walked past a table before and pinched a chip of someone's plate but ......

Good on you for not saying anything. She was obviously hungry
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that happening in the al-fresco restaurants in Northbridge, drunks walking past and lifting steaks of people's plates.

I once came across an old schoolfriend living rough on the streets of London, I took him for a slap up meal and when he reached into his jacket pocket to pull out a hankie a massive wad of 20 and 50 pound notes fell out - he had more cash than I did!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:24 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I've walked past a table before and pinched a chip of someone's plate but ......

Good on you for not saying anything. She was obviously hungry
Very hungry and very desperate ,
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Very hungry and very desperate ,
Absolutely. The thumbs up were for good on you for not doing anything
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you for not making a scene. And for feeding a young person who obviously needed it.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:43 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

She might have been on drugs?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:22 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Which restaurant was it ? Always looking for a good curry, best so far is in Balmain opp London hotel.
And well done for sharing.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
She might have been on drugs?
And?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:06 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
And?
And what?

A drug addict.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:47 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
And what?

A drug addict.
That's very possible. It's certainly not normal behaviour. She could even be homeless and mentally ill. Sad
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by paulry
That's very possible. It's certainly not normal behaviour. She could even be homeless and mentally ill. Sad
true - any of those things.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What lovely people you and your mate are I love that you didn't judge her, it doesn't matter why she was hungry, just that she was.

The only time I've ever had someone help themselves to my food was in the outdoor dining section of a pub. Was there with my sister and a very drunk Irish backpacker decided to sit down, tell me he loved me and start scoffing my dinner. I didn't particularly mind him eating my food, but I wasn't having any of the maudlin love stuff so I told him to rack off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.