British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Stranger at the Dinner table (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/stranger-dinner-table-813450/)

spuddyo Oct 28th 2013 2:34 am

Stranger at the Dinner table

Funniest / Strangest thing that's happened in ages, you couldn't make this stuff up.

On Saturday night I met up with an old friend in Manly on Sydney's Northern Beaches, where I first lived when emigrating in 1993. Anyway, we went to one of my favourite Indian Restaurants in the area for dinner and ordered a mixed platter for starters.

Just as the waitress brought the platter to our table, a very scruffy, rough looking young girl ( I would say about 17 or 18 ) walked up to our table and sat down. Without even saying hello, she started helping herself to everything and using only her fingers, she ate everything on the plate.

We had finished off a few pints by this stage and were in a jolly mood and quite amused by what we were seeing. We tried to ask her who she was, what her name was, where she was from - I think we were very nice to her actually considering what she was doing. In a short period of about 3 minutes, she ate 2 large Samosas, 2 Chicken Tandoori pieces, 2 lamb kebabs and 2 lamb cutlets, a whole dish of mango chutney, Raita and even the shredded lettuce and orange slice that everyone leaves.

Without even saying thanks or answering any of our questions she just stood up and left. I am not sure what her situation was, but I hope she enjoyed the free feed and doesn't end up in any serious trouble anytime soon.

Of course the restaurant were not amused and wouldn't give us a discount off the bill. Good curry though, and excellent Naan.

Kim67 Oct 28th 2013 2:38 am

Re: Stranger at the Dinner table

Haha, excellent. Little bugger, I hope she really needed it. Very nice of you to not cause a fuss.

Cheetah7 Oct 28th 2013 3:37 am

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 10964526)
Funniest / Strangest thing that's happened in ages, you couldn't make this stuff up.

On Saturday night I met up with an old friend in Manly on Sydney's Northern Beaches, where I first lived when emigrating in 1993. Anyway, we went to one of my favourite Indian Restaurants in the area for dinner and ordered a mixed platter for starters.

Just as the waitress brought the platter to our table, a very scruffy, rough looking young girl ( I would say about 17 or 18 ) walked up to our table and sat down. Without even saying hello, she started helping herself to everything and using only her fingers, she ate everything on the plate.

We had finished off a few pints by this stage and were in a jolly mood and quite amused by what we were seeing. We tried to ask her who she was, what her name was, where she was from - I think we were very nice to her actually considering what she was doing. In a short period of about 3 minutes, she ate 2 large Samosas, 2 Chicken Tandoori pieces, 2 lamb kebabs and 2 lamb cutlets, a whole dish of mango chutney, Raita and even the shredded lettuce and orange slice that everyone leaves.

Without even saying thanks or answering any of our questions she just stood up and left. I am not sure what her situation was, but I hope she enjoyed the free feed and doesn't end up in any serious trouble anytime soon.

Of course the restaurant were not amused and wouldn't give us a discount off the bill. Good curry though, and excellent Naan.

Did you get to eat any of it? :eek:

Hebe Oct 28th 2013 4:07 am

I've walked past a table before and pinched a chip of someone's plate but ......

Good on you for not saying anything. She was obviously hungry :thumbsup:

renth Oct 28th 2013 4:24 am

I've heard that happening in the al-fresco restaurants in Northbridge, drunks walking past and lifting steaks of people's plates.

I once came across an old schoolfriend living rough on the streets of London, I took him for a slap up meal and when he reached into his jacket pocket to pull out a hankie a massive wad of 20 and 50 pound notes fell out - he had more cash than I did!

Cheetah7 Oct 28th 2013 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 10964587)
I've walked past a table before and pinched a chip of someone's plate but ......

Good on you for not saying anything. She was obviously hungry :thumbsup:

Very hungry and very desperate :(,

Hebe Oct 28th 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 (Post 10964595)
Very hungry and very desperate :(,

Absolutely. The thumbs up were for good on you for not doing anything

Dorothy Oct 28th 2013 5:28 am

Good for you for not making a scene. And for feeding a young person who obviously needed it. :starsmile:

sonlymewalter Oct 28th 2013 5:43 am

She might have been on drugs?

simnmax Oct 28th 2013 6:22 am

Which restaurant was it ? Always looking for a good curry, best so far is in Balmain opp London hotel.
And well done for sharing.

Hebe Oct 28th 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 10964633)
She might have been on drugs?

And?

sonlymewalter Oct 28th 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 10964730)
And?

And what?

A drug addict.

paulry Oct 28th 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 10964866)
And what?

A drug addict.

That's very possible. It's certainly not normal behaviour. She could even be homeless and mentally ill. Sad :(

sonlymewalter Oct 28th 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 10964898)
That's very possible. It's certainly not normal behaviour. She could even be homeless and mentally ill. Sad :(

true - any of those things.

spouse of scouse Oct 28th 2013 2:28 pm

What lovely people you and your mate are :starsmile: I love that you didn't judge her, it doesn't matter why she was hungry, just that she was.

The only time I've ever had someone help themselves to my food was in the outdoor dining section of a pub. Was there with my sister and a very drunk Irish backpacker decided to sit down, tell me he loved me and start scoffing my dinner. I didn't particularly mind him eating my food, but I wasn't having any of the maudlin love stuff so I told him to rack off :o