Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
ive dipped my toe in the water before and am slightly reluctant to do it again but i suspect i will get a shove from husband sooner or later

j
Isn't that how you ended up with baby Eve?

Can't help with anything Melbourne related - but good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Jac

Long time no speak!! Congrats on the birth of your daughter, she was born the day before my birthday!! I hope you are recovered and coping with the sleepless nights!! I know you had a rough time in pregnancy so the sleepless nights are probably a doddle!!!

I finally made it over here, we are in NSW and have been here for just over 3 months. I have my children in a catholic school and we are over the moon with it - they left a wonderful catholic school in the UK and we worried that we wouldn't be lucky enough to find a school to match. My children have settled well and we are delighted with it. If you need any help I am here!

I don't envy your decision, but you will know when the time comes what is right for you all - I could write a best seller on our saga, it isn't easy but I think we have done the right thing - it took us 20 months to complete our visa process so we have decided to give it equally as long at this end to decide if we are going to stay.

Take care and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Nikki x
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

you still have not mentioned what suburb you intend to live in

arthur
Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
you still have not mentioned what suburb you intend to live in

arthur

Dunno about Rooksie, but i still haven't a clue about which suburb, and am due there end Jan/begin feb
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:02 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Dunno about Rooksie, but i still haven't a clue about which suburb, and am due there end Jan/begin feb

no idea either mate!! havent really started looking yet although frankston has been mentioned
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hiya Jac

Long time no speak!! Congrats on the birth of your daughter, she was born the day before my birthday!! I hope you are recovered and coping with the sleepless nights!! I know you had a rough time in pregnancy so the sleepless nights are probably a doddle!!!

I finally made it over here, we are in NSW and have been here for just over 3 months. I have my children in a catholic school and we are over the moon with it - they left a wonderful catholic school in the UK and we worried that we wouldn't be lucky enough to find a school to match. My children have settled well and we are delighted with it. If you need any help I am here!

I don't envy your decision, but you will know when the time comes what is right for you all - I could write a best seller on our saga, it isn't easy but I think we have done the right thing - it took us 20 months to complete our visa process so we have decided to give it equally as long at this end to decide if we are going to stay.

Take care and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Nikki x
sending you a PM my dear
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by marco121068
Isn't that how you ended up with baby Eve?

Can't help with anything Melbourne related - but good luck in whatever you decide to do.

thanks mate hope all is groovy with you
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:38 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Dear all,

In answer to your original question, I have carried out a lot of research into secondary schools in Melbourne for my 12 year old lass (who is becoming increasingly anxious, tetchy and sulky regarding our move to Oz next summer).
To start the research, I used a good book which I can highly recommend 'The Good Schools Guide 2007 - Victoria' published by Hobsons Guide's which I sent off to OZ for (£14). It lists every school in Victoria and a some basic crucial facts about each. Using this guide and the VCE/VET results for the current year - becuase they are important too, is how I deduced a final top 12 schools suitable for my daughter. As well as VCE/VET results and the subjects offered at each school, I took into account the number of pupils in the school, how classes are streamed (Maths and English), uniform policy, voluntary costs ($'s), sporting facilities, after school activities, catchment area, where pupils go after leaving - % going on to Uni etc, and finally how strong science / IT / drama & theatre productions / music were in each school as these are my daughter's favorite subjects. The book explains all about VCE's and how they work and it lists the schools website address so you can check each one out online to get a 'feel' for the schools ethos and pupil involvement - and photos. When we arrive, we plan to visit all of these schools and I will let my daughter choose which one she likes- safe in the knowledge that I have done MY homework about the school!

So in terms of my top 12 schools, they are not necessarily the 'best' schools in Melbourne but are the 'best' of the bunch in terms of our needs.

If anyone would like me to email them my Excel Spreadsheet containing 23 of the 'best' Government Secondary Schools - feel free to PM me. Also, if anyone has any tips on pacifying a stubborn, sulky, worried teen into believing she CAN and WILL make new best friends in Melbourne - much appreciated!

Best of Luck,
Merry Christmas (Last one in UK!!!)

Diane.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

You'll find links to Victorian VCE results 2003/2004/2005 here : http://www.exfin.com/education-whichprivate.php I don't have teenage children but if I was bringing them across I would really consider the International Baccalaureate (IB). They'd need to have a language and be reasonably academically inclined but it has a number of advantages - including a northern hemisphere timetable. The problem is that Victoria is pretty poorly served for schools doing the IB - some other states are much better. Worth a look, I think, for people looking at transitioning older children.

Last edited by Fardell; Dec 19th 2006 at 10:32 am.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej
Also, if anyone has any tips on pacifying a stubborn, sulky, worried teen into believing she CAN and WILL make new best friends in Melbourne - much appreciated!

Best of Luck,

Diane.
We are not in Melbourne but my first born who was 12 when we decided we would move out here was adamant from day one she was not coming. Sometimes we talked about it, most of the time she and her sister were sort of left out of the loop because it was too tiring She started at secondary and was even more adamant she wasn't moving.

Our last day in the UK was horrendous, she shut herself in her wardrobe with a box of tissues and I had to leave her there because I just didn't have the time or energy to try and comfort her and actually had no idea what to say because there was nothing I could say that would help.

We have been here a year now and she is very happy. Has made loads of friends and is settled. Some friends asked her what she missed apart from friends and after a while all she could come up with was Minstrals

Had she been any older I think we would have had major problems but she is chilled happy teen most of the time and since being here she has blossomed even more.

All kids are different but I hope those of you having the same issues we did, have the same outcome.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dianej
Dear all,

In answer to your original question, I have carried out a lot of research into secondary schools in Melbourne for my 12 year old lass (who is becoming increasingly anxious, tetchy and sulky regarding our move to Oz next summer).
To start the research, I used a good book which I can highly recommend 'The Good Schools Guide 2007 - Victoria' published by Hobsons Guide's which I sent off to OZ for (£14). It lists every school in Victoria and a some basic crucial facts about each. Using this guide and the VCE/VET results for the current year - becuase they are important too, is how I deduced a final top 12 schools suitable for my daughter. As well as VCE/VET results and the subjects offered at each school, I took into account the number of pupils in the school, how classes are streamed (Maths and English), uniform policy, voluntary costs ($'s), sporting facilities, after school activities, catchment area, where pupils go after leaving - % going on to Uni etc, and finally how strong science / IT / drama & theatre productions / music were in each school as these are my daughter's favorite subjects. The book explains all about VCE's and how they work and it lists the schools website address so you can check each one out online to get a 'feel' for the schools ethos and pupil involvement - and photos. When we arrive, we plan to visit all of these schools and I will let my daughter choose which one she likes- safe in the knowledge that I have done MY homework about the school!

So in terms of my top 12 schools, they are not necessarily the 'best' schools in Melbourne but are the 'best' of the bunch in terms of our needs.

If anyone would like me to email them my Excel Spreadsheet containing 23 of the 'best' Government Secondary Schools - feel free to PM me. Also, if anyone has any tips on pacifying a stubborn, sulky, worried teen into believing she CAN and WILL make new best friends in Melbourne - much appreciated!

Best of Luck,

Diane.

Brilliant - thanks for this reply. does the book also contain catholic schools? sounds like something i should buy in any event - cheers
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We are not in Melbourne but my first born who was 12 when we decided we would move out here was adamant from day one she was not coming. Sometimes we talked about it, most of the time she and her sister were sort of left out of the loop because it was too tiring She started at secondary and was even more adamant she wasn't moving.

Our last day in the UK was horrendous, she shut herself in her wardrobe with a box of tissues and I had to leave her there because I just didn't have the time or energy to try and comfort her and actually had no idea what to say because there was nothing I could say that would help.

We have been here a year now and she is very happy. Has made loads of friends and is settled. Some friends asked her what she missed apart from friends and after a while all she could come up with was Minstrals

Had she been any older I think we would have had major problems but she is chilled happy teen most of the time and since being here she has blossomed even more.

All kids are different but I hope those of you having the same issues we did, have the same outcome.

i cant believe its been a year already mate
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:40 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
Brilliant - thanks for this reply. does the book also contain catholic schools? sounds like something i should buy in any event - cheers
It sure does - I sent away to this site and was happy with speedy service
http://www.isubscribe.com.au/title.cfm?ID=18440

Good Luck!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:51 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

First can I saw congratuations on the birth of Eve Rooksie. What a gorgeous name. Hope your horrendous pregnancy is now well and truly behind you.

Our eldest is due to start school here in August but we're hoping to move before then to avoid the problems of her going for a month or so and then stopping til 2007 when the Aussie kids start school.

I'm completely unsure of what to do school wise, as with her being so young, we still don't have a feel for what she will need from school yet. Obviously, she's the most all round talented and intellegent wee girl around but seriously, she does seem to have a big musical ability so we'd like to find somewhere which might help her explore this should she want to. The little one's only 3 so we're a while before we think about her.

DianeJ thanks for the book recommendation, will definately be ordering that one.

Rooksie, Bexie and Margaret - my heart goes out to you all. I'm so so fortunate that my girls are so young and not really that sure about what the move really means (all they think is that they'll be able to see the Wiggles more often and might see kangaroos). Can't offer any pearls of wisdom on dealing with teen daughters, I wish I could. Hope it all works itself out. Margaret, we've talked about it before and I think that you're doing the right thing in taking your teen to Melbourne. Hopefully, she'll see that for herself soon enough.

Finally, can I ask a daft question? Other than the religious elements, what are the differences between catholic and non catholic schools? My OH is catholic but our girls are not christened. If we feel that a catholic school would give our kids the best education, would they need to be christened to go their?

Gill
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the above questions, I think they would have to be christened, however, we were not asked to produce anything when we enrolled our children at a catholic school in NSW. I told them they were catholic but their baptism certificates were still packed away, they said it was ok and have not asked to see them since, but you would become involved in communion and confirmation years down the line and they would definitely need to be christened.

In terms of differences, I don't want to say too much as it may spark a war of words with those who attend other schools, but our children attended a catholic primary school in the UK and it was just like a private school in terms of the standards of education (league table results), the homework was much more frequent than other schools in the area, discipline, manners and respect is taught from an early age, the feeling of community and family is high on the agenda so it is like you are part of an extended family. We were worried that we would not find a school to match, but the school my children attend now is just the same. We are delighted, although there are fees attached to catholic schools in Australia.

I am sure other schools teach just the same values, however, I have nothing to compare it to and this is just my experience of catholic schools (mainly in the UK).

This is a link to the catholic schools site for Australia, you can then go to the relevant state and search schools. http://www.ncec.catholic.edu.au/

One last point I have 3 children, aged 12, 8 and 6. The 12 year old refused to do the move, he had just started high school in the UK, at this point he told me I fit in here, I don't want to move - that comment broke my heart as I can remember at that age the importance of being accepted and 'fitting in'. The 8 year old who I thought was too young to understand properly, was even worst, he was devastated at leaving his friends from whom he had known from 2 and a half. Anyway, we made the move, been here 3 months and yes it was a hard slog, especially near the last few weeks, but they are settling in great, making friends and enjoying the new lifestyle. It is going to take time but I know in the long run we have done the right thing.

Stick with it everyone, it is a long hard road, but soon you will get up that hill and come down on the other side.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Nikki