Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standards of Education in Melbourne Schools

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Awwwwwwwwe Bexie, it must be tough. We have a 15 year old and we are taking her kicking and screaming all the way, as we are in the unfortunate postition of not having close family around , she will have to come, otherwise i would definatley leave her here to finish school, coz she is quite happy at school here and doing really well.
Oh... is your daughter really against it? I know how lucky I am to have a supportive extended family but the whole situation is making me feel sick! Sorry to sound so miserable! It's amazing how this forum seems to act like my stream of consciousness! (and no, for the record, I haven't been drinking!)
Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Bexie]Oh... is your daughter really against it? LOL, all I can say is this is an understatement
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Margaret3]
Originally Posted by Bexie
Oh... is your daughter really against it? LOL, all I can say is this is an understatement
I'm not glad that someone else is sharing the same emotions with their teen daughter, but it kind of akes it a bit better knowing that it's not just me and OH going through same roller coaster! I hope your daughter comes to love the idea. When are you going?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Bexie]

I'm not glad that someone else is sharing the same emotions with their teen daughter, but it kind of akes it a bit better knowing that it's not just me and OH going through same roller coaster! I hope your daughter comes to love the idea. When are you going?

There's now way in this earth she is ever going to come round to the idea, we will just have to go and hope for the best, of course, we've had talks, but nothing helps too much, but i've warned her , she goes and makes the best of it, coz there is no choice, if she makes the worst of it, then there's nothing i can do to help

Our house is up for sale and in true BE style we had a buyer and it felle through , we have our visa and as soon as the house sells we're off
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Margaret3]

There's now way in this earth she is ever going to come round to the idea, we will just have to go and hope for the best, of course, we've had talks, but nothing helps too much, but i've warned her , she goes and makes the best of it, coz there is no choice, if she makes the worst of it, then there's nothing i can do to help

Our house is up for sale and in true BE style we had a buyer and it felle through , we have our visa and as soon as the house sells we're off
We've sold and just waiting for visa to come through! Hope your house sells really quickly. I'm sure that she will come round? Easy to say when itis someone elses daughter eh?
Part of me is now thinking to take the same line with my girl once her GCSE s are over.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:57 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

well for what its worth i have just voiced possibility of us going back to grace and she is in tears. hey fekkin ho
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Bexie, slightly off topic, but i know Rooksie won't mind, my teens aim is to become a PE teacher, or something to do with sport , as this is definatley where her talent lies, its just i read your a pe teacher
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
well for what its worth i have just voiced possibility of us going back to grace and she is in tears. hey fekkin ho

Rooksie, i wouldn't mention it too much, until arrangements are in place, we try not to speak about it too much, its a case of 'least said, soonest mended', seems to work for me, anyway
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rooksie, i wouldn't mention it too much, until arrangements are in place, we try not to speak about it too much, its a case of 'least said, soonest mended', seems to work for me, anyway
A great tactic!! It just that the pan boils over occasionally and we have mass tantrums and rows, I guess it's all part of the process we all have to go through, mind you - it doesn't make it any easier. My 16 s tactic at the mo is to be out of the house or in her bedroom. I barely see her.
Margaret - I am a PE teacher, yes you're right Melbourne is the best place to be - sports mad. If I can be any help, PM me. Between 3 yr old tantrums and 16 yr old tantrums, I haven't got too much peace at the moment!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

A - Between 3 yr old tantrums and 16 yr old tantrums, I haven't got too much peace at the moment!!
Geeze and i thought i had problems
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geeze and i thought i had problems
I guess we'll all look back next Christmas and all this worry will be a long and distant memory!! The optimist has taken over!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:13 pm

youre absolutely right mate. nuff said
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

you will only make mistakes if you listen to others, talk to your children ask them there thoughts, then & only then go with your gut feeling.
Education in Australia is different from the UK. your lifestyle as you know is different, if you want the kids to settle quickly invite there friends over & there parents, try to lead a normal lifestyle not jumping from one place to another.
I know it sounds boring but you must think of the kids & there happiness.

the kids will do fine in Melbourne may i ask what part of melb do you intend to reside in.

regards

Arthur
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
you will only make mistakes if you listen to others, talk to your children ask them there thoughts, then & only then go with your gut feeling.
Education in Australia is different from the UK. your lifestyle as you know is different, if you want the kids to settle quickly invite there friends over & there parents, try to lead a normal lifestyle not jumping from one place to another.
I know it sounds boring but you must think of the kids & there happiness.

the kids will do fine in Melbourne may i ask what part of melb do you intend to reside in.

regards

Arthur
havent had chance to do any research yet - still early days. to be completely honest with you im still not 100% sure about the move. ive dipped my toe in the water before and am slightly reluctant to do it again but i suspect i will get a shove from husband sooner or later

i suppose my starting point would be to look at catholic schools in melbourne (one daughter primary age, one secondary age and one only 3 weeks old!!) and go from there.

j
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
thanks for the reply - brilliant. im really really worried about eldest daughter because she has just started secondary school over here having transferred with all of her friends from primary school. would be a significant upheaval for her (having done it once before and hating it on sunshine coast). dont want to make any mistakes this time.
Could you send one adult out and have a look around melbourne, much cheaper than moving back with 5 people, particuarly as your kids are old enough to be very vocal/emotional about it. Why are they wary of going back, family/friends in UK or stuff that you could change like just not likeing the sunshine coast/the school/the climate or something .

Schools like here vary so much , its hard to work out till youve been in the system, but at least take a look, melb grades are differnt from qld too, they will be a year down from qld grades. Jobs, plumbing is just as much kerfuffle to get into in melb as it is here, and probably less of a construcion boom. But I bet one adult would find out far more in a few weeks than if you come back with a family and all the associated emotions and army style manouvers required to even go suburb hunting with 3 kids, :scared:

Keep up to date with whats happening in melb with www.theage.com.au

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 18th 2006 at 8:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.