Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia

I have just had a so called fluffy dog go for my dog which was on a lead at the time coming back from our morning walk and this horrible little dog followed us home snapping all the time.I had to put my leg in the way at my front door to stop it from getting my dog while trying to unlock the door.

I expect the owners if they had of been there would have just laughed or blamed my dog as it was bigger.My dog has fits and I try to keep her stress free as much as possible I just hope the horrid thing is not waiting for us tomorrow.Sue.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
They have no place in an urban environment and should be eradicated.
No, incapable and irresponsible people should be stopped from owning dogs.
These people will have problems, regardless of the breed they end up with.

If you think that your own dog (breed) could not cause serious damage to someone, you really don't know much about dogs.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
So if you are not very strong, what do you do when this breed is attacking your dog?

I went on an American Pitbull site in the USA and they said grab the hind legs of the dog that is attacking yours and push forwards, once grip is released swing it round to face the other way while someone gets your dog.

I would shoot the bastard, stab it if I could - I am sorry but I dont see the good in this breed or any breed that is strong enough that it can do this much damage.
Virtually all breeds, mid size and above are capable of causing this kind of damage in the right/wrong circumstances

The French lady who was recipient of the first face transplant a few years ago, had her face bitten off by her own pet Lab!!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Virtually all breeds, mid size and above are capable of causing this kind of damage in the right/wrong circumstances

The French lady who was recipient of the first face transplant a few years ago, had her face bitten off by her own pet Lab!!
Yes but when an Afghan had a fight with my whippet it was easy to get off, grabbed its collar and did a flank pull.

When one of the bully breeds attacked my dog that didnt work, it had him by the throat and no amount of flank pulling worked, 2 grown men sat on the dog and it took ALOT of work to get that dogs mouth off my dogs neck and I mean alot and had those guys not been there my dog would have more than likely been killed.

Seriously, some dogs are easier to get off than others but the pits/staffs/American bulldogs do not respond to the flank pull, it takes strength, courage, determination and sheer balls of steel to prize them off a dog and their jaw capacity is such that alot more damage can be done than say a JRT or greyhound in the time it takes you to get them off.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes but when an Afghan had a fight with my whippet it was easy to get off, grabbed its collar and did a flank pull.

When one of the bully breeds attacked my dog that didnt work, it had him by the throat and no amount of flank pulling worked, 2 grown men sat on the dog and it took ALOT of work to get that dogs mouth off my dogs neck and I mean alot and had those guys not been there my dog would have more than likely been killed.

Seriously, some dogs are easier to get off than others but the pits/staffs/American bulldogs do not respond to the flank pull, it takes strength, courage, determination and sheer balls of steel to prize them off a dog and their jaw capacity is such that alot more damage can be done than say a JRT or greyhound in the time it takes you to get them off.
But had the owners of the dog that attacked yours, been responsible enough, the attack would never have occured.
I agree that certain breeds bring greater responsibilty with regards to control, but that takes me back to my earlier point, that all dogs should be under control whilst in public.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
No, incapable and irresponsible people should be stopped from owning dogs.
These people will have problems, regardless of the breed they end up with.

If you think that your own dog (breed) could not cause serious damage to someone, you really don't know much about dogs.
Don't talk bollocks. I'm well aware that my dog is capable of biting someone... I'm also well aware that he is exceptionally unlikely to do so. Why?... because it's not in his breed type. Vizsla have been bred for generations to be hunting dogs, to work with people, not as bloody attack dogs.

If you believe that an American Pitbull terrier has any place in an urban environment, regardless of who its owner is, then you are a fool.
You think these are OK to be around kids?

Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:47 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't talk bollocks. I'm well aware that my dog is capable of biting someone... I'm also well aware that he is exceptionally unlikely to do so. Why?... because it's not in his breed type. Vizsla have been bred for generations to be hunting dogs, to work with people, not as bloody attack dogs.

If you believe that an American Pitbull terrier has any place in an urban environment, regardless of who its owner is, then you are a fool.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9B6Jxv_c8l...rrier-0305.jpg
Dogs are just the same as people they all have different personalities.
You cant say that just because a dog is more powerful than others that it is more vicious.

The problem arises is that when a large powerful dog does decide to attack the damage is often more severe than the damage a smaller dog could cause.
Just the same way as a car accident causes injury when the speed is increased the chance of injury increases, travelling at lower speeds the risk of injury is decreased.

IMO all dogs have the capability to cause harm and I would never leave a small child unattended with any breed of dog.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kelli28
Dogs are just the same as people they all have different personalities.
You cant say that just because a dog is more powerful than others that it is more vicious.
How many links would you like me to post of reports of people, usually kids, being killed by pitbulls?
How many videos would you like to see of pitbulls ripping people and other dogs apart?

I don't care how many people come on and post the mantra "it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners" because that simply isn't true. Pitbulls are genetically predetermined to be more aggressive than your average mutt. So yes, I can say that it is more likely to be vicious, because for a hundred generations its been bred by nutters determined to increase the aggressiveness of the breed.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:07 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

How many links would you like me to post of reports of people, usually kids, being killed by pitbulls?
How many videos would you like to see of pitbulls ripping people and other dogs apart?
Post as many as you like it's all media sensationalism! All breeds of dogs are capable of attack.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kelli28
Post as many as you like it's all media sensationalism! All breeds of dogs are capable of attack.
Yes, all media sensationalism.

Take a look at this list of fatal attacks in the US last year... pay careful attention to the breed and then the age of the poor bastards ripped to pieces... then scroll up and down and check the other years...then come back and tell me its all media sensationalism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ported_in_2009
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

the pits/staffs/American bulldogs do not respond to the flank pull, it takes strength, courage, determination and sheer balls of steel to prize them off a dog and their jaw capacity is such that alot more damage can be done than say a JRT or greyhound in the time it takes you to get them off.
To get them off only requires knowing how to get them off.

I don't know what's wrong with your part of Australia. I haven't seen a dog fight in years, nor has any dog attacked mine.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9B6Jxv_c8l...rrier-0305.jpg
Pitbulls are not bred as attack dogs.

Quote: "In the United States, these dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitbull
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Your pitbull pic looks a bit different to mine. You sure that's a Pitbull?
Attached Thumbnails Staffordshire Bull Terriers in Australia-american_pit_bull_terrier_-_seated.jpg  

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Aug 27th 2010 at 8:56 am.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Pitbulls are not bred as attack dogs.

Quote: "In the United States, these dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitbull
Family companions... FFS, have you read that list?... Check out how many 'family companions' killed members of that family

I think the important bit of your quote is "WERE used". Do you seriously think that's the prime reason these things are kept now?

Why are you trying to defend the indefensible?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Your pitbull pic looks a bit different to mine.
I didn't have to look hard.. Go to google images.. put in American Pitbull.. it's the first one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.