British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is this sporting? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sporting-228107/)

Larissa May 4th 2004 8:28 pm

Cheeky!!! I was just a nipper though! ;)

PS Just checked your profile and you're older than me :D ha ha :p

wmoore May 4th 2004 8:37 pm

Originally posted by Larissa
Cheeky!!! I was just a nipper though! ;)

PS Just checked your profile and you're older than me :D ha ha :p
Wish I'd thought of that :rolleyes: You youngsters and your fancy ideas ..... :D:D

pompeywill May 4th 2004 9:38 pm

Originally posted by wmoore
Showing your age Larissa:D:D
To answer my own question...
Ole Gunnar Solskaer!

nickyjohnt May 4th 2004 9:44 pm

Does it really matter if you ( MikeStanton) think that the UK are more superior than the Australians because they have invented more !! I couldent care less, the ability to enjoy your life and make your kids happy are worth more than any pat on the the back from some anally retentive snob !!
We are hopefully going to Perth next year, and although we dont have university educations we, through sheer guts and determination will make this work for us !!!
I dont know the reasons why you dislike Australia so much ! but perhaps your negative and superior attitude may have made it differcult for you to make friends !!

Nicky:confused:

Amazulu May 4th 2004 10:27 pm

Originally posted by nickyjohnt
Does it really matter if you ( MikeStanton) think that the UK are more superior than the Australians because they have invented more !! I couldent care less, the ability to enjoy your life and make your kids happy are worth more than any pat on the the back from some anally retentive snob !!
We are hopefully going to Perth next year, and although we dont have university educations we, through sheer guts and determination will make this work for us !!!
I dont know the reasons why you dislike Australia so much ! but perhaps your negative and superior attitude may have made it differcult for you to make friends !!

Comparing Australia's achievements against the UK is not right. Australia has been around for about 200 years (I know Aboriginial people have been there for 50 000 years, but they haven't invented much) & for the first part of that it was a penal colony with no Universities etc. The UK has a 1000 year history, Newton was discovering gravity & calculus before Australia was even thought of. British industrial, military & economic power, built much of the english speaking world as we know it.

It's not a fair comparison, considering it's size & age, Australia has done ok.

Don May 5th 2004 7:37 am

Re: Is this sporting?

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Not an avid user?
Not really. But I guess I meant that US English is already becoming predominant, worldwide and that continuing trend will soonish squeeze UK English into the backwater. :) :cool:

Larissa May 5th 2004 7:46 am

Originally posted by pompeywill
To answer my own question...
Ole Gunnar Solskaer!
Oi Pompeywill... I will set me Pompey birds on you with our creoles :mad:

maxpaxx May 5th 2004 10:15 am

Originally posted by nickyjohnt

For me it sums up whats wrong in the UK. Lots of the racial hatred stems from this superior attitude. Ok hands up Britain has contributed a good amount but we have an older civilization - I don't think it's as simple as saying 'we' did this what did you 'do'? Frankly I find it all a bit bigoted!

I will never understand why people still use the forum when they have returned home and blatantly hate Aus. I'm sure there must be a site for British patriots. The only reason I can think of is that they are bitter as hell. I doubt the purpose is some heartfelt cause to stop others making the same mistake:rolleyes:

Max