British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is this sporting? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sporting-228107/)

bondipom May 3rd 2004 10:43 am

According to the media you get the feeling the Hills Hoist is the greatest Aussie invention ever. Its bloody un-australian not to have one.

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...hillshoist.htm

PommieLeague May 3rd 2004 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Sandra
He was an English! Born in England and moved to Aus at 15!

Which starts a whole new/old row about nationality, but lets forget that please :D
You mean he was British?

PommieLeague May 3rd 2004 2:15 pm

Originally posted by Trevglas
The trouble with this game is it can so easily backfire on you. Imagine my glee when England beat Australia at Rugby Union in the warm up friendly before last years world cup. I was finally able to rag the aussies I worked with right up until Australia beat England at soccer a week or so later

DOH!

By the way, for the lists people seem to be compiling, Focus Night and Day, Cibavisions "wear all the time for 30 days" contact lens was invented by CSIRO in Australia
Australia also hammered Great Britain in the Rugby League Ashes Series last November too, but only by a margin!

glm36 May 3rd 2004 5:00 pm

Re: Is this sporting?

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Where did I claim that Aussies have invented or contributed nothing in the last 100 years? I wanted to generate some debate and emphasise the fact that Aussies love to talk about sport - but can talk about precious little else. Yes, it's a generalisation, but sadly, a fair one. I wonder how many Aussies could quote 10 important inventions without the help of the Internet :rolleyes:

Now, in a typically modest British way, I would like to point out that your claim that "...it appears Australia has invented and contributed more to the world in the last 100 years then Britain has in the last 1,000" is just...what's the word?...drivel/laughable.

Finally, Florey did not invent penicillin. Nobody did - it occurs naturally. Fleming discovered penicillin's properties. Fleming, Florey et al turned this discovery into a life-saving medicine.

Hey Mike, your slipping...wheres all your usual stats??

Come on, buck your ideas up. Or are you getting distracted by all those singing birds:p

Don May 3rd 2004 7:28 pm

- first TV transmission (Scottish, US begs to differ)
- BBC (no film allowed, I think this falls under film)
- discovery of penicillin, (Aus))
- invention of CAT scanner, ultrasound machine (allowed)
- radar (sonar)
- during the second world war - Winston Churchill's leadership, Battle of Britain, cracking of Enigma code etc (Hmmm, BOB allowed)
- National Health Service (this is a good thing?)
- Open University (good idea)
- Internet - invented the world wide web (more Swiss than British)
- first commercial jet-powered plane (commercial?)
- Keynesian economics (discredited)
- Oxford English Dictionary (one-century-wonder)
- Amnesty International (Medecins Sans Frontiers)

bondipom May 3rd 2004 9:43 pm

Don what you missed with the cracking of the enigma code was the worlds first computer. It was kept secret until the files were opened recently. Without the computer the enigma code could never decoded at the immense pace it was.

janajane May 3rd 2004 9:55 pm

Originally posted by Mel Gibson
Also Australia was the first country to introduce the secret ballot
in elections and the first to give women the right to vote. Howard
Florey an AUSTRALIAN invented Penicillin which saved the lives of millions of people.

Hi Mel,

Actually it was NZ that was first in 1893. Australia was 1894.

MikeStanton May 3rd 2004 10:34 pm

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
- first TV transmission (Scottish, US begs to differ)
Is a Scot not born in the UK? I agree that US (AT&T) were probably sooner.

- BBC (no film allowed, I think this falls under film)
Disagree. BBC was first set-up to broadcast radio.

- discovery of penicillin, (Aus))
Aaaargh! I thought all school-kids know this. For the last time, an Aussie did not discover penicillin. Let me quote:

"It was, of course, Alexander Fleming who first discovered penicillin in his laboratory at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, west London, in 1928. He noticed that when mould was growing in a Petri dish, there seemed to be a ring of clear liquid around it. What he was actually looking at was the ring of dead, transparent cells which lay between the mound of mould on a sea of staphylococci bacteria.

Fleming, a shy man, was intrigued by what he saw but could not find a way of extracting enough of it from a soupy broth to be able to inject it into anyone. The juice was too impure to be of any therapeutic use.

It was an Australian, Howard Florey, who realised its potential a decade later"

- invention of CAT scanner, ultrasound machine (allowed)
- radar (sonar)
- during the second world war - Winston Churchill's leadership, Battle of Britain, cracking of Enigma code etc (Hmmm, BOB allowed)
- National Health Service (this is a good thing?)
Of course not - only for those that couldn't afford any health care :rolleyes:

- Open University (good idea)
- Internet - invented the world wide web (more Swiss than British)
Tim Berners-Lee might have something to say about that. But, if you want to use that dubious point, then totally forget Florey (even though Florey is excluded anyway), because he was working at Oxford University at the time.

- first commercial jet-powered plane (commercial?)
- Keynesian economics (discredited)
Without the application of Keynesian economics after the war, the recovery would have taken many years longer. Whether it is discredited now is irrelevant.

- Oxford English Dictionary (one-century-wonder)
Not an avid user?

- Amnesty International (Medecins Sans Frontiers)
What's the relevence of citing MSF? They are totally different organisations. The UN might be more relevant.

MeganEkno May 4th 2004 11:25 am

Originally posted by seang
invention of black box flight recorder
invention of bionic ear
invention of multi focal contact lens
first car radio
world first feature film
teleprinter
first round the world airline sevice
inflatable airline escape slide
first blind reading machine
of course the ute :)

Starting blocks for running races!

MeganEkno May 4th 2004 11:25 am

Originally posted by seang
invention of black box flight recorder
invention of bionic ear
invention of multi focal contact lens
first car radio
world first feature film
teleprinter
first round the world airline sevice
inflatable airline escape slide
first blind reading machine
of course the ute :)

Starting blocks for running races!

MeganEkno May 4th 2004 11:30 am

Originally posted by Mel Gibson
Mike Stanton, it appears your post claiming Australians have invented or contributed nothing to the world in the last 100
years has backfired on you. If you read the responces to your post it appears Australia has invented and contributed more to the world in the last 100 years then Britain has in the last 1,000.
Also Australia was the first country to introduce the secret ballot
in elections and the first to give women the right to vote. Howard
Florey an AUSTRALIAN invented Penicillin which saved the lives of millions of people.
New Zealand actually gave women the vote before Australia!

Sandra May 4th 2004 2:43 pm

Originally posted by MikeStanton

Finally, Florey did not invent penicillin. Nobody did - it occurs naturally. Fleming discovered penicillin's properties. Fleming, Florey et al turned this discovery into a life-saving medicine.
wow - I have been reading about this - three people shared the Nobel Laureate in medicine.

Fleming - British
Florey - Aus
ERNST BORIS CHAIN - German

Fleming idenitfied it first (discovery) then got bored cause he did not know what to do with it
Chain - chased it up and kept looking for ways to use it and took it to Floreys attention while working at Oxford

and THEN

the bloody yanks took over and claimed it all for themselves cause they invented a way to use it commercially! so we are all buggered!

http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ihy960452.html

http://www.ncaur.usda.gov/opensub/penicillin.htm

eh eh looks like this one was a world effort!

I am learning loads from this site, cause it is making me look twice/trice and on and on at what I thought was fact because of my 'british' education!

and lets not get into Winston Churchill, wasn't he one of the ones involved in the Dardanelles? and if Winston wasn't mentioned on this post he was on another me thinks!

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/overview_gf.htm

I did know that one before coming to Aus!

Gosh this is so much fun.....can we have some more Aus vs UK facts.........and if we are mentioning the UK, can we also state where the peops in the UK come from, very annoying to have to have us all lumped together to form a major group, cause as all us scots/irish/welsh know we are only UK when it suits the English! Oh bugger new row there possibly?

:D :D :D :D :D and a few :beer: :beer:

pompeywill May 4th 2004 6:06 pm

This debate was started as another dig at Australia by Mike.
Who invented what , when, has absolutley no bearing on which country its better to live in!
Norway always does well on those 'best countries to live in' stats, but I dont think they invented anything of note.
(takes a deep breathe, as someone is BOUND to come up with something):)

Larissa May 4th 2004 6:28 pm

Aha! (swoon) :D

wmoore May 4th 2004 6:52 pm

Originally posted by Larissa
Aha! (swoon) :D
Showing your age Larissa:D:D