British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is this sporting? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sporting-228107/)

MikeStanton May 2nd 2004 2:22 pm

Is this sporting?

Picture it.

You're sitting in an Aussie pub (having just finished your lunch at the (sic) Chinese Smorgasbord) and your Aussie mates bend your ear for the 286th time to tell you that the Brits are crap at sport and 'dinki dis' are so much better. So, why not try a different sort of game?
Ask them to name 10 things Aussies have invented, created or done, since Federation in 1901, that have had a positive impact on many lives. And you'll name 10 that the Brits have done in the same period.

1 point for a positive impact in your own country, 2 if the impact extends to other countries. Oh, and derivatives -such as the ABC- don't count.

No worries, they say. And then tell them that sports, film and music are excluded.

Silence.

At that point most of the Aussies will mumble under their breath, some will shuffle-off to the bar, some will make an extended visit to the toilet, another might say he needs to visit his ute to talk to his Blue Heeler dog named 'Go Away'. And the one Aussie that's game for a battle will remain (badge ?).

Why after 1901? Well, for UK, using examples like the English language; works of Shakespeare and Dickens; vaccination and trial by jury, would hardly be fair, would it? :)

For the UK, here's a few to begin with:

- first TV transmission
- BBC
- discovery of penicillin,
- invention of CAT scanner, ultrasound machine
- radar
- during the second world war - Winston Churchill's leadership, Battle of Britain, cracking of Enigma code etc
- National Health Service
- Open University
- Internet - invented the world wide web
- first commercial jet-powered plane
- Keynesian economics
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Amnesty International

...sorry, I said 10.... :)

And for Oz?

Your turn...

ianj May 2nd 2004 2:33 pm

Maybe they could say Oz itself

But then wasn't that down to us as well and our goodwill to give them a cheap holiday. :D

Only joking, if I wasn't then I wouldn't be Melbourne bound.

seang May 2nd 2004 5:05 pm

invention of black box flight recorder
invention of bionic ear
invention of multi focal contact lens
first car radio
world first feature film
teleprinter
first round the world airline sevice
inflatable airline escape slide
first blind reading machine
of course the ute :)

jaruky May 2nd 2004 6:53 pm

- Flexible wine casks... the bag in the box.
- The boomerang. Ancient weapon of the aboriginies. Other cultures have throwing sticks but none came back to the thrower if it missed the target.
- The Notepad. In the whole history of paper, it had been sold and used in single sheets until in 1902 JA Birchall thought it would be a good idea to stack a pile of half sheets together, back it with cardboard and glue one end.
Making the world's first notepad.
- The worlds first bathing beauty contest was held in Australia in 1920.
The Automatic letter sorting machine - 1930
Two stroke lawn mower.
The rotary hoist washing line.
Lithium as a treatment for manic depression.
Latex gloves 1945

maxpaxx May 2nd 2004 7:47 pm

Re: Is this sporting?

1) Refridgeration
2)Penicillin
3)Electronic pacemaker
4)Differential Gears
5)Combine Harvester
6)Gene Shears
7)Thrust Bearing
8)The Mills Cross
9)pre-paid postage
10) castors
11)record Changer
12)Good old Granny smith Apple
11)Xerox photocoping
12)Kiwi shoe polish
13)Electric Drill
14)vegemite
15) Rupert Murdoch.......sorry but doesn't he control the minds of all the UK Sun readers out there!!!:D (yes I know the man was educated at Oxford but he is an Aussie) - and a powerful one!!

...I don't think they have done too bad for a 200 and odd year old country..!!!

MikeStanton May 2nd 2004 8:20 pm

Originally posted by maxpaxx
1) Refridgeration
2)Penicillin
3)Electronic pacemaker
4)Differential Gears
5)Combine Harvester
6)Gene Shears
7)Thrust Bearing
8)The Mills Cross
9)pre-paid postage
10) castors
11)record Changer
12)Good old Granny smith Apple
11)Xerox photocoping
12)Kiwi shoe polish
13)Electric Drill
14)vegemite
15) Rupert Murdoch.......sorry but doesn't he control the minds of all the UK Sun readers out there!!!:D (yes I know the man was educated at Oxford but he is an Aussie) - and a powerful one!!

...I don't think they have done too bad for a 200 and odd year old country..!!!
Forget 1), 2) - they fail the derivatives test:

1) Refrigeration - Aussies developed the manufacturing plant, but not the process

2) Penicillin: An Australian (Florey) helped on its development, but did not discover it.

11) Xerox? Disagree. It was the American, Carlson who had the flash of inspiration.

12) Kiwi shoe polish? Surely, shoe polish existed at the time. This just happened to be popular.

14) Vegemite?? I would have thought as many people hate it as love it! :) It was made to compete with Marmite - so it's really a derivative

15) Murdoch? Now an American citizen. And, his company, News Corporation will no longer be traded on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). Perhaps this will be the start of a decline for the ASX..

A lot of people may disagree that this man had a positive impact on people's lives ;)

LaraandBryn May 2nd 2004 8:53 pm

How did you know that Mike would have an answer!!! Still, only refuting 6 out of about 34 is a pretty poor show. 'Egg' & 'face' come to mind.

cadabra May 2nd 2004 9:05 pm

Originally posted by seang
invention of black box flight recorder
invention of bionic ear
invention of multi focal contact lens
first car radio
world first feature film
teleprinter
first round the world airline sevice
inflatable airline escape slide
first blind reading machine
of course the ute :)

How come you havent answered this post Mike?? Makes me laugh when someone disproves a point. It is often swept under the carpet to avoid embarrassment :D :D

For a country which would be considered one of the youngest in the western world, i think they have done remarkably well.

You really must be insecure at the moment Michael, your need to ridicule those who welcomed you to their neighbourhood, which made you a lot of money is charming. They must be dead proud of you.

maxpaxx May 2nd 2004 10:01 pm

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Forget 1), 2) - they fail the derivatives test:

1) Refrigeration - Aussies developed the manufacturing plant, but not the process

2) Penicillin: An Australian (Florey) helped on its development, but did not discover it.

11) Xerox? Disagree. It was the American, Carlson who had the flash of inspiration.

12) Kiwi shoe polish? Surely, shoe polish existed at the time. This just happened to be popular.

14) Vegemite?? I would have thought as many people hate it as love it! :) It was made to compete with Marmite - so it's really a derivative

15) Murdoch? Now an American citizen. And, his company, News Corporation will no longer be traded on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). Perhaps this will be the start of a decline for the ASX..

A lot of people may disagree that this man had a positive impact on people's lives ;)
My you are a sour puss!

Kiwi Shoe Polish - developed by Melbourne businessman William Ramsay, this soon became the most successful shoe polish in the world. He chose the word 'Kiwi' because of his New Zealand wife.

Refrigeration - The first mechanical refrigeration plant was built in Melbourne by James Harrison in the 1850s.

Many firsts associated with in vitro fertilisation, including the birth of the first frozen embryo baby at the Queen Victoria Medical Centre in Melbourne1984.

...as for Murdoch theres a few million trillion SUN readers who would disagree! Love or hate him he is what controls the minds of it's mindless readers - I would call that a major offering to the western world albeit not one lets say a Times reader would approve of.

I used to love Britain - it has given the world a lot, but that kind of arrogant attitude of acheivements of yester year lies at the root of what is wrong here! There are talented people all over the globe.

So got your union jack boxers in a twist or what?

:D

tinaj May 2nd 2004 10:04 pm

Not another one of those 'Which country is better?' posts...How droll:o :o

Do you live in a country because you think it is the best at inventing things!! Or because it is the best place for you to live?:)

Sazzle May 2nd 2004 10:11 pm

Booooring...........:(

However let us "correct" a few erroneous ideas..

- BBC

Well, this couldn't very well come from anywhere else.. get real!

If you check it out you will find that the "colonies" had health services, education for all, a social state provision etc looong before the UK copied them (and badly).

- Open University
See above statement.

I could discuss the rest.. but frankly, cant be bothered.

Amazulu May 2nd 2004 10:44 pm

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Picture it.

You're sitting in an Aussie pub (having just finished your lunch at the (sic) Chinese Smorgasbord) and your Aussie mates bend your ear for the 286th time to tell you that the Brits are crap at sport and 'dinki dis' are so much better. So, why not try a different sort of game?
Ask them to name 10 things Aussies have invented, created or done, since Federation in 1901, that have had a positive impact on many lives. And you'll name 10 that the Brits have done in the same period.

1 point for a positive impact in your own country, 2 if the impact extends to other countries. Oh, and derivatives -such as the ABC- don't count.

No worries, they say. And then tell them that sports, film and music are excluded.

Silence.

At that point most of the Aussies will mumble under their breath, some will shuffle-off to the bar, some will make an extended visit to the toilet, another might say he needs to visit his ute to talk to his Blue Heeler dog named 'Go Away'. And the one Aussie that's game for a battle will remain (badge ?).

Why after 1901? Well, for UK, using examples like the English language; works of Shakespeare and Dickens; vaccination and trial by jury, would hardly be fair, would it? :)

- first TV transmission
- BBC
- discovery of penicillin,
- invention of CAT scanner, ultrasound machine
- radar
- during the second world war - Winston Churchill's leadership, Battle of Britain, cracking of Enigma code etc
- Open University
- Internet - invented the world wide web
- first commercial jet-powered plane
- Keynesian economics
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Amnesty International

...sorry, I said 10.... :)

And for Oz?

Your turn...
What's the point of this?. Who cares. Yes, Britain has invented loads of things. So what?. Doesn't make Australia a worse place.

bondipom May 2nd 2004 10:50 pm

One thing in common is the media in both countries complain about the inability to turn an invention into a commercially viable operation. Probably something to do with risk averse financial markets and a small venture capital industry.

Florida_03 May 2nd 2004 11:25 pm

Aussie twits...what would they know???

How do airplanes navigate and land???...T-Vasis???...DME???...MLS???

...and a few others...

Badge May 2nd 2004 11:29 pm

Mike

I am flattered.

;)