Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders - how bad..........really !

Spiders - how bad..........really !

Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice
Default Spiders - how bad..........really !

Hi,

I think we're just a couple of months from getting our visa now and my wife is concerned when I joke about huntsmen running amok when we get out there. (I shouldn't joke I now). She hates them all with a vengeance (I'm not too keen on them, thinking about it).

We were dicussing it last evening and she said that if it was really bad re spiders then "we'd just have to come home".

We've got two little girls and are selling our house now, it's a real issue for me as I don't want to uproot if it means my wife wants to return in a few months.

Can anyone help ? What's it really like ?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:27 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders - how bad..........really !

Originally Posted by martynm
Hi,

I think we're just a couple of months from getting our visa now and my wife is concerned when I joke about huntsmen running amok when we get out there. (I shouldn't joke I now). She hates them all with a vengeance (I'm not too keen on them, thinking about it).

We were dicussing it last evening and she said that if it was really bad re spiders then "we'd just have to come home".

We've got two little girls and are selling our house now, it's a real issue for me as I don't want to uproot if it means my wife wants to return in a few months.

I cannot help you about what they are like but i am totally like your wife in fact maybe worse.

BUT and a big but !!!! i have got better as i have made myself get over this phobia by trying to pick up our harmless spiders that we have here in the UK, I know this sounds daft but i have been doing it for the last 3 months. There is no way i could pick them up with my bare hands but i put a little bit of tissue on them and pick them up and throw them out the window. You should have seen the size of the one i picked up on friday out the bath .....HUGE My son was soooo proud of me
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen any in the 9 weeks I've been here. My Aunt has seen about 10 in the past 25 years.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

I too am petrified of spiders, but i have been assured that my hubby is gonna get me the biggest swat ever made!

We have never been to Oz, so cannot comment, but i hate any kind of spider, so the thought of them being poisoness too makes me go off the wall.

Having said that, i too have been practising at home. (very sad i know ), with two little, well medium spiders in my laundry room. I've not touched them yet, but i know they are there and have not requested i.e. hubby or sons to remove them!

Sorry no help really am i!

I will say though, that we are going lock, stock and barrell to Oz and i WILL NOT let ickle spiders put me off. We are not coming back ever!

Melis
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:39 am
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Hi,

See what happens, when you tease the wife, especially when they have those little niggles! There are quite a few threads on here about spiders and the reality seems to be that you don't encounter them that often (particularly snakes).

I guess you'll just have to keep a pair of marigolds handy and come to her rescue. I'm dreading it myself as I hate spiders :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:41 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Not seen any in the 9 weeks I've been here. My Aunt has seen about 10 in the past 25 years.
Don't mention the cockroach stories tho Wendy
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

You wont see them all the time, but u have to accept the fact that sometimes u will. Ive had huntsmen in my house quite a few times and there is always a daddy long legs or two hanging around somewhere. Maybe when u get here, get ur house sprayed by a pest controller
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I don't think it is really that bad. We aren't there yet but when we visited, we only saw a couple in the back garden of my husbands uncle. The only other creepie crawlies we saw were in the zoo.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie

Noooooo :scared: :scared: :scared:

Tried to forget about that :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:16 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Grossly over-exaggerated............. really!

I am Aussie, and dislike spiders as well. I've had my fair share of "encounters" but they're not that bad, and certainly not as numerous as most people seem to think. Many people get their houses sprayed and this keeps most creepy crawlies (yes, including the cockies!) at bay.

Keep in mind that huntsmen are really useful for keeping the local insect popoulation down, and although they are fast and can get a big leg span, most of them have bodies smaller than your little toe! A lot of my friends have young children - if they see a spider they try and name it (one friend currently has a Frank, Harry and Debbie in the garden) so as to make it less scary for the kids.

I should add as a word of caution that gardening gloves are a must-have, as you do get garden spiders. And good shoes when out bushwalking. All just sensible precautions really.

Don't let them put you or your family off, and good luck with the move.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:20 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Have attached my growing collection all from houses where we have lived in the last year... .
Attached Thumbnails Spiders - how bad..........really !-huntsman-spider.jpg   Spiders - how bad..........really !-spider-big.jpg   Spiders - how bad..........really !-garden-orb.jpg   Spiders - how bad..........really !-ceilingspider.jpg  
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Issie
I was bitten last thursday by a spider :scared:

Don't know what it was cos it was washed down the sink But my hand is still there so I presume it was OK
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:25 am

Don't know what it was cos it was washed down the sink But my hand is still there so I presume it was OK
OMG

was it big ? did it hurt ?...i just cannot imagine being bitten by one
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

its not the spiders u want to be worried about it john howard :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by wintersgills
its not the spiders u want to be worried about it john howard :scared:
pmsl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.