Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders - how bad..........really !

Spiders - how bad..........really !

Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders - how bad..........really !

Originally Posted by Issie
OMG

was it big ? did it hurt ?...i just cannot imagine being bitten by one

No it was only little and must have come up through the drain cos it was on my dishcloth.

It bloody hurt though
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:
Hiya,
We are just starting the process and the only thing putting me off is the damn spiders. I have been told that funnel webs don't live in WA so if its true then at least theres one less to worry about. Take the advice of some of the others.....try getting the Mrs to gradually get used to them. My boss made me hold a spider yesterday.....felt sick and washed my hands about 10 times......hehehehe......but I am hunting our yard as we speak to find one slightly bigger to try and get used to them, then when you want one you can't find the damn buggers!!

Nici
Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

If we get our visas I was going to get a book on creepy crawlies and snakes of Australia.

The thing is as a child you learn what stings and what doesn't (ie red ants as opposed to black ants over here) so I think your children will probably pick it up more quickly

You just have to learn to live with them.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:19 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Good online resources about spiders in Oz via the Australian Museum online, and another good one on identifying spiders from Termite.com
Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Originally Posted by ridds
Good online resources about spiders in Oz via the Australian Museum online, and another good one on identifying spiders from Termite.com

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Don't knnow whether I feel better or worse though !!! :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by martynm
Thanks everyone for all your help.

Don't knnow whether I feel better or worse though !!! :scared:
are just come it will be ok u do see spiders but they dont bother you snakes ive been here 3yrs seen a few but they not bothering you at all its the mozziz i dont like they can give you ross river fever once u got that u cant get rid of it :scared:
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wintersgills
are just come it will be ok u do see spiders but they dont bother you snakes ive been here 3yrs seen a few but they not bothering you at all its the mozziz i dont like they can give you ross river fever once u got that u cant get rid of it :scared:

I am the same doing the same things to sort me out! On one of the 'Australias Deadliest....' programmes I watched helped too only 1 in 200 people react adversley to a spider bite and those who do... they have no recorded deaths since records began. Hope this helps you all. But I also heard that oz holds all the top ten most deadly snakes!!! As everyone says though generally you won't see them unless you are looking for them.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:32 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Genie
... the reality seems to be that you don't encounter them that often (particularly snakes).
You've got to be kidding, either that or you are in the city. From around late September through to February we see at least one snake every week, mostly browns and red bellied blacks. When I go out to work near the River Murray I see Tiger Snakes regularly.

I am getting a shotgun licence soon just to help keep them away from the house.

rab
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rab
You've got to be kidding, either that or you are in the city. From around late September through to February we see at least one snake every week, mostly browns and red bellied blacks. When I go out to work near the River Murray I see Tiger Snakes regularly.

I am getting a shotgun licence soon just to help keep them away from the house.

rab

I am not over there yet it is what I saw on the TV.I am sure everyone will be really pleased to hear your thread!!
Old Sep 6th 2006, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

We had more big spiders in the house in a year in the UK than we had here this year. We have sprayed around the house, more to control the cockroaches. I think they start coming into houses from December, urrggghhh. We have seen the odd red-back spider outside in the shed when we were renting, but apparently most people get bitten when they put their gardening gloves on that they keep in the shed. Red-backs are not aggressive and will only bite you if you touch them.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 2:24 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rossfive5
Red-backs are not aggressive and will only bite you if you touch them.
Agreed. I had a "family" living in my bathroom ceiling. They would obligingly come down through the shower exhaust, and I could wash them down the drain. Problem solved

Last edited by ridds; Sep 6th 2006 at 2:29 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:48 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau
Have attached my growing collection all from houses where we have lived in the last year... .
oh my f****ng god!!
now I don't mind putting a glass over a spider to chuck it outside but these look like they are inside your house. please tell me they were outside.
any of these dangerous or are they nice, quiet little furry friends?
bec and egg
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:52 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

There are quite a few spiders around, but no one has been killed by a venomous spider bite in OZ in the last 30 years, while around 3 or 4 people are killed each year in the Uk and OZ by bee and wasp stings. So your much more likely to die from a bee sting in the Uk then a spider bite in Oz.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

God, I can't believe you guys who try that therapy by picking them up :scared:
I walked into our house (in UK) last night and this huge great monster was looking at me from the stairs. I ran past it and screamed at my boyfriend to kill it and get rid of the body. I was shaking for 10 mins afterwards - needed glass of wine to calm me down
So none of that practicing picking them up lark for me. I'm just going to pretend they don't exist in oz then scream a lot when I see one.
I know I want to make friends in Oz but I draw the line at making friends with their spiders as well
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Spiders - how bad..........really !

Originally Posted by kato33
Hiya,
We are just starting the process and the only thing putting me off is the damn spiders. I have been told that funnel webs don't live in WA so if its true then at least theres one less to worry about.
It's true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.