Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders aarghhh!

Spiders aarghhh!

Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:27 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Spiders aarghhh!

We have had red backs out of the light fittings, huntsman by the dozen and wolf spiders and garden orbs and also strange yellow cross spider not the normal st. andrews cross...lots of daddy long legs (used to look for UK ones then found out the assies ment the spiders with long legs) and lots of little boring looking spiders as well as black house spiders.

See attached :scared: .
Attached Thumbnails Spiders aarghhh!-huntsman-spider.jpg   Spiders aarghhh!-garden-orb.jpg   Spiders aarghhh!-yellow-cross.jpg   Spiders aarghhh!-ceilingspider.jpg   Spiders aarghhh!-huntsman-wall.jpg  

Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:43 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spiders aarghhh!

I had a nasty feeling someone might put some photos on. Nearly gave me heart failure when they popped up!!!!! :scared: I think I could maybe handle them. I have just got visions of spiders the size of dinner plates. Aren't there bird eating spiders in Queensland? NO NEED FOR A PHOTO - guess I am asking for it now aren't I???? Should never have started this topic!!!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meryn & Steve
Should never have started this topic!!!
No you should not have :scared:
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:47 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future

END OF TOPIC - (please???????????) I think we all have all the info we need. Still want to go though!!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 6:55 am

I had a nasty feeling someone might put some photos on. Nearly gave me heart failure when they popped up!!!!! :scared: I think I could maybe handle them. I have just got visions of spiders the size of dinner plates. Aren't there bird eating spiders in Queensland? NO NEED FOR A PHOTO - guess I am asking for it now aren't I???? Should never have started this topic!!!
All of those photos are from around my house and so far I haven't found a bird eating one on the premesis... :scared: .

Have found so far if you don't bother them they seem to leave you alone don't seem to sneak in during the day but if they see an open door at night the huntsman and wolf spiders will be straight in.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

We are hoping to go to Australia next year but unfortunately i do have a dreadful fear of those horrible eight legged ba$tards. I don't know why I am scared of them I just am. I did go to Oz in 98 for a year but managed to avoid any really nasty frightening incidents.

Can you get by without them bothering you or do they pop up everywhere (in your shoes, in the eaves / rafters, in bushes in the garden?)

Any advice appreciated

Get a good pest company in to treat your house regularly (spraying round skirting boards, doorways, under cupboards etc etc) and you shouldn't have too much problem indoors. This should keep away spiders, ants and cockroaches. Had my house done just before we moved in a month and a half ago and have only seen a couple of dead ones cockroaches.

Also, keep plugs in plugholes at night to stop any visitors coming up there.

Can't stop 'em in the gardens though. Just don't pick up old boxes, logs, leaves etc without giving them a nudge with your foot first!!

Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:50 am

Question Re: Spiders aarghhh!

Originally Posted by ClareW
Get a good pest company in to treat your house regularly (spraying round skirting boards, doorways, under cupboards etc etc) and you shouldn't have too much problem indoors. This should keep away spiders, ants and cockroaches. Had my house done just before we moved in a month and a half ago and have only seen a couple of dead ones cockroaches.

Can't stop 'em in the gardens though. Just don't pick up old boxes, logs, leaves etc without giving them a nudge with your foot first!!

Uuuugggghhhhhhh... what's coming out of the plug holes the cockroaches or the spiders???
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by annqldau
Uuuugggghhhhhhh... what's coming out of the plug holes the cockroaches or the spiders???
Friend was telling me of a cockroach coming up into the bath through the plug so I decided not to take any chances.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:43 pm
stevenpoole9

Hi all, don't mind spiders, crocs or snakes too much but there is something I absoloutly detest. Rats.
On a recent visit to some friends in Sunnybank (southside) We were TREATED to a few photos of a python eating a rat about a foot long (including the tail) non their outside barby. I know they live on the edge of bushland, so a certain level of wildlife is to be expected, but the thought turned my stomach, and still does.
I know that possums get into the roofs over there but what about rats? Are they everywhere, or are my friends just trying to scare the living daylights out of me?

Old Apr 6th 2006, 2:05 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

So what happens when you take the plug out in the morning? Is there a que? :scared:
Old Apr 6th 2006, 2:11 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Sounds a bit of an urban myth this one, as all baths and sinks should have a water trap/u bend.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point

The last person to die from a Spider bite......1979!
Old Apr 6th 2006, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
We have had red backs out of the light fittings, huntsman by the dozen and wolf spiders and garden orbs and also strange yellow cross spider not the normal st. andrews cross...lots of daddy long legs (used to look for UK ones then found out the assies ment the spiders with long legs) and lots of little boring looking spiders as well as black house spiders.

See attached :scared: .
Thanks for that! :scared: NOT, help, please! I hate bloody ants, never mind
anything else

We are moving to Deception Bay too!

I think i will book myself in with a hypnotherapist now

Melissa
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
Thanks for that! :scared: NOT, help, please! I hate bloody ants, never mind
anything else

We are moving to Deception Bay too!

I think i will book myself in with a hypnotherapist now

Melissa
I spent 3 months in Oz and only saw 1 big spider... Couldn't tell you what flavour it was coz woke up to find it on ceiling above me :scared: so jumped out of bed and threw all the shoes I had at it till it cleared off!!!! That was in Melbourne.
I'm not even scared of spiders, it was just the size and shock...

I stayed with my aunt in Queensland... When I went out and she went out she would leave the key to her back door in the garage in a gardening glove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My aunt never liked me much

T
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:03 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: Take a look at this itsy bitsy spider then. Hubby called me out to the garage to show me it! Don't worry it was dead otherwise I would have been long gone!
Attached Thumbnails Spiders aarghhh!-spider-2.jpg   Spiders aarghhh!-spider-3.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.