Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders aarghhh!

Spiders aarghhh!

Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:24 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spiders aarghhh!

Thanks for all the info guys. The more I think about them the more I try and rationalise my fear. I have been studying the chart above. You know it says "actual size" is it meant to be on an A4 sheet of paper or A3 (or better still a little A5)?????
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Meryn & Steve
Thanks for all the info guys. The more I think about them the more I try and rationalise my fear. I have been studying the chart above. You know it says "actual size" is it meant to be on an A4 sheet of paper or A3 (or better still a little A5)?????
I'm pretty sure that when it says actual size, it is actual size i.e. A5.

However, someone who has actually seen these beasts may want to confirm that.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:46 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Biggest red back i've seen was about 1 1/2 cm's leg to leg but sure you will get bigger. Biggest huntsman i've seen so far 15cm leg to leg but know you get bigger one's of them.

Size isn't important just like men as the red back is smaller than the huntsman but packs a bigger punch...shame men aren't like that... .
Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:37 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future

Unfortunately its not the punch that bothers me its the size and the way they look as irrational as that may be!! I am getting better though. I can actually look at the photos that people have posted which I never used to be able to do! :scared:
Old Apr 14th 2006, 5:32 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately its not the punch that bothers me its the size and the way they look as irrational as that may be!! I am getting better though. I can actually look at the photos that people have posted which I never used to be able to do! :scared:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Spiders/

go on take a peek
Old Apr 14th 2006, 5:40 pm
Taking first steps...

Unhappy Re: Spiders aarghhh!

I have looked at the link. Thanks. I could cope with most of them but that clown spider looked well weird!!! Didn't like the unidentified huntsman or the tarantula. Its the chunky ones that are the worst. I know spiders do a lot of good but I really wish the world was spider free.

If it had more than eight legs it wouldn't bother me and if it had less than eight it wouldn't bother me. I think because my Dad is terrified of them I have been brought up scared of them.

I did manage a year in Australia though and saw a few red backs, a big nasty in Alice Springs, some big spider in Sydney and a few huntsmen in Adelaide. No major panic attack incidents though I am glad to report! I got through it then and I will again....
Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:34 pm
Boop Boop De Doop

Betty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud ofBetty Boop has much to be proud of

I have looked at the link. Thanks. I could cope with most of them but that clown spider looked well weird!!! Didn't like the unidentified huntsman or the tarantula. Its the chunky ones that are the worst. I know spiders do a lot of good but I really wish the world was spider free.

If it had more than eight legs it wouldn't bother me and if it had less than eight it wouldn't bother me. I think because my Dad is terrified of them I have been brought up scared of them.

I did manage a year in Australia though and saw a few red backs, a big nasty in Alice Springs, some big spider in Sydney and a few huntsmen in Adelaide. No major panic attack incidents though I am glad to report! I got through it then and I will again....
I am like you - absolutely petrified of them :scared:
I have a complete panic attack if I even come across a picture of a spider.
Spoke to my sister-in-law today who has just got her first house in Brisbane. She said that her house has been treated and she hasn't found anything indoors as yet. She has seen a few smallish spiders in her garden, but none of them have been any worse than anything she saw in England.
There is a bit of hope then !
Am really considering hypnotherapy though, I think it will be the only way!

Lisa x
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

shaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really niceshaznstu is just really nice

I know it sounds silly but I am scared of the actual creature itself rather than whether or not it can harm me. I think if you gave me a tiny spider that was toxic and a massive mother that was harmless I would choose the small one anyday. I think I must get therapy. These ones that are in your house, are they big or just UK size spiders? Starting to wish I hadn't posted this. I guess I have just got visions of big chunky spiders everywhere. Stomachs going all funny just thinking of them!!!!
Hiya,
I am exactly the same as you. I am even scared of dead ones, and cant hoover them up or anything. I have spider spray at home and scream my head off when I spray them. I dread September every year here in the UK when i know they start to come inside. I can't even watch "I'm a Celebrity" when they show the spiders I hide behind a cushion. I think I will need therapy too!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:11 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Betty Boop
I am like you - absolutely petrified of them :scared:
I have a complete panic attack if I even come across a picture of a spider.
Spoke to my sister-in-law today who has just got her first house in Brisbane. She said that her house has been treated and she hasn't found anything indoors as yet. She has seen a few smallish spiders in her garden, but none of them have been any worse than anything she saw in England.
There is a bit of hope then !
Am really considering hypnotherapy though, I think it will be the only way!

Lisa x
Come to Brisbane and i'll do it for you...LOL def helped my son and he can now look at them and not burst into tears and run off screaming, it doesn't take away your safety mechanism just the irrational part.