Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Old Jun 7th 2015, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Originally Posted by astera
Thanks for the info. How much over the limit do you need to be to get clocked?
I was doing 71 up the hill in a 50 limit. I hadn't even considered the speed limit up the hill... $379 fine.

But you can get done for as little as 3 over the limit.

Also, how do they usually check your speed here? Do they just park their car somewhere on the side and just flip on the radar or do they clock people randomly whilst driving around?
Both ways. My last one was the unmarked police car parked on the other side of the road, checking cars going downhill, I thought! But he got me going up.

I've not been done by being chased for many years. I think about 1990 when going Sydney-Brisbane I was done at about 160 on the motorway. This is bringing back some of my driving memories
Old Jun 8th 2015, 5:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Be careful though, even doing the speed limit could get you a fine. Qld drivers fined for doing speed limit

One of their cars was on the motorway this morning, about 10 metres before the border. It's a classy diarrhea colour and the warning board was shoved under the front number plate so only visible in the rear view mirror. Hope they were bored, everyone was doing the speed limit given they were going into NSW who have double demerits this weekend.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:25 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
It is too easy to get done for speeding. I was done going UP the hill at Mt Coot-tha in a small engine car. No one believed the car could speed up that hill. But the limits are low, the radar is frequent, and the fines come to us.

I think you can get a phone number to contact and check at: https://www.sper.qld.gov.au/payment-...t-payments.php

Maybe the page called: "What if I don't act?" may be relevant though.

If you receive an enforcement order, but do not act on it by the due date, we may take one or more of the following enforcement actions against you:

refer your debts to an authorised debt collection agent
suspend your driver licence
direct your employer or financial institution to deduct funds from your pay or bank account
register an interest over your property
immobilise your vehicle
seize and sell your property
issue a warrant for your arrest and imprisonment.
Those are all just threats to scare people into paying.

In the OP's circumstances he could telephone the QLD traffic enforcement agency every couple of months, explaining the circumstances and asking if there are any traffic violations against the vehicle so that he can take responsibility for them. He might also be able to persuade the agency to put a note on the inter-state system mentioning that all vehicle usage for the specified period will be done by him.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:31 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Usually it is an SUV parked "harmlessly" on the side of the road with cameras in. The obligatory speed sign is always displayed on the side away from traffic flow.
The tossers! At least here in the ACT they park a big white van very visibly often on the central reservation displaying a speed limit sign above it. All very above board and dignified here

Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Be careful though, even doing the speed limit could get you a fine. Qld drivers fined for doing speed limit

One of their cars was on the motorway this morning, about 10 metres before the border. It's a classy diarrhea colour and the warning board was shoved under the front number plate so only visible in the rear view mirror. Hope they were bored, everyone was doing the speed limit given they were going into NSW who have double demerits this weekend.
That's hilarious!

Originally Posted by paulry
The tossers! At least here in the ACT they park a big white van very visibly often on the central reservation displaying a speed limit sign above it. All very above board and dignified here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/391...x2-940x627.jpg
They don't do white vans here or at least I haven't seen one yet. That would be far too conspicuous.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

That would not work....
That would stop people speeding and not increase revenue!!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 9:50 am
Banned

That's hilarious!

They don't do white vans here or at least I haven't seen one yet. That would be far too conspicuous.
Yes, it's incredibly decent of them.

I reckon if you get clocked for speeding by one of those you'll deserve the fine for negligence

That would not work....
That would stop people speeding and not increase revenue!!
The do have a few very well placed red light/speed cameras. I frequently see people getting caught by them - mostly people from out of town.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

I was curious, so I checked the speeding fines comparison for ACT and QLD in 2014

ACT 1,487 speeding fines per 100,000 of population
QLD 15,586 speeding fines per 100,000 of population
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:18 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I was curious, so I checked the speeding fines comparison for ACT and QLD in 2014

You sure that's speeding fines issued and not speeding fines... paid? Lots of diplomats in the ACT... not sure whether they actually need to pay up when the photo comes in.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

You sure that's speeding fines issued and not speeding fines... paid? Lots of diplomats in the ACT... not sure whether they actually need to pay up when the photo comes in.
Issued

Good point. Many are probably are not paid. Diplomats appear to be exempt from everything..

However... "A diplomat incurring 7 or more demerit points will be reported to DFAT Protocol Branch and if the matter were considered sufficiently serious, this could result in requesting that the individual responsible be withdrawn from Australia."
and
"Pay FIVE times the penalty and No demerit points are issued"

8. Driving in Australia - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Old Jun 10th 2015, 4:39 pm
Banned

That's an interesting figure but probably distorted a bit by the number of NSW-resident speeding infringements. Mainly people who live in nearby areas like Queanbeyan, Yass, Bungendore and Goulburn but we also have loads of contractors who work here from much further afield. And there's also all the pollies with their interstate plates. The demographics are very different too: predominantly middle class public servants and few hoons. The only time we are aware of hoons in town is during Summer Nats during which time the police are hovering like bees around a honey pot! I also find the pace of life here in Canberra is far more relaxed than the other cities with great roads and no traffic jams so people speed less.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 11:08 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I also find the pace of life here in Canberra is far more relaxed than the other cities with great roads and no traffic jams so people speed less.
Because in Canberra. There. Is. Nothing. To. Do.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:56 am
Banned

Because in Canberra. There. Is. Nothing. To. Do.
There's only nothing to do for those who choose to do nothing. However, I'm very happy for you to perpetuate the "nothing to do" myth because it helps keep this city nice and uncongested. Meanwhile, enjoy all the traffic jams, speed traps and overcrowding that you encounter on your way to doing things.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

There's only nothing to do for those who choose to do nothing. However, I'm very happy for you to perpetuate the "nothing to do" myth because it helps keep this city nice and uncongested. Meanwhile, enjoy all the traffic jams, speed traps and overcrowding that you encounter on your way to doing things.
Good point.

Traffic free motorbike rides too I'll bet.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:07 am
Banned

Good point.

Traffic free motorbike rides too I'll bet.
Yes, Canberra is definitely a motor bikers dream. Winter can get a bit chilly but that's easily managed with the correct clothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.