Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Originally Posted by astera
For starters let me just state that I am a very careful driver who does not break the rules (at least not knowingly).

The problem I have is that I live in QLD, whereas my parents' car is registered in NSW. Whilst they are away for 6 months at a time I take care of their car and drive it on an everyday basis.

What happens if I unknowingly get clocked going over the limit or something similar? Obviously the car is in their name so any paperwork would head to their place. But as mentioned they are away for half a year and nobody will be tearing their letters open during that time.

Anything I can do (yes - I am trying to drive by the book) to make sure there is no fine lurking in the mail pile on their return?

Sure don't want to have any unanswered/unpaid fines turning into courtroom invites for them, and then their not showing up in court turning into a possible warrant, etc. (not sure if this works this way in Australia - it sure would in the US though).

If you ( as in your parents) receive a notice in the mail, you have 28 days from issue to either pay the fine or notify that you will not be paying. I strongly suggest reading this https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf.../#transferfine or contacting SPER (State Penalties Enforcement Registry) https://www.sper.qld.gov.au/ and they will only accept a Statutory Declaration to change details. Depending on when it was sent, I would suggest contacting as a matter of urgency.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Originally Posted by The Bloke
If you ( as in your parents) receive a notice in the mail, you have 28 days from issue to either pay the fine or notify that you will not be paying. I strongly suggest reading this https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf.../#transferfine or contacting SPER (State Penalties Enforcement Registry) https://www.sper.qld.gov.au/ and they will only accept a Statutory Declaration to change details. Depending on when it was sent, I would suggest contacting as a matter of urgency.

I don't think he actually has an infringement does he? He's just worrying about what could happen if he does get one.

S
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I was in QLD in March and just got a letter through yesterday from the rental company as i was caught speeding!!!!!! $66 to them for the paperwork then I got the infringement notice with a $151 fine, I was doing 68 in a 60 zone. I live in NZ and ashamed to say I got a bit confused with the roads, I am so used to sitting at 70 here I kind of done that there apart from the slower build up roads.

Nice bit of cash on top of the holiday, not!!!

Mines was on Mermaid beach, goldcoast highway and it was on camera, they sent me a nice picture of the car I was driving.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 6:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think he actually has an infringement does he? He's just worrying about what could happen if he does get one.

S
That was my point, contact S.P.E.R.s and see a) if it has been sent and when, and b)if he needs to send in a stat dec to them stating he was driving the car as they are out of the country.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 21st 2015 at 6:53 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 2:08 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

What's the deal with parking tickets? Do you get any leeway once your time expires or will they whack you with a fine as soon as the clock is up?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
What's the deal with parking tickets? Do you get any leeway once your time expires or will they whack you with a fine as soon as the clock is up?
Usually when it clocks up.