British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/speeding-tickets-qld-car-owner-nsw-away-looong-time-859382/)

astera Jun 2nd 2015 3:28 pm

Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

For starters let me just state that I am a very careful driver who does not break the rules (at least not knowingly). :)

The problem I have is that I live in QLD, whereas my parents' car is registered in NSW. Whilst they are away for 6 months at a time I take care of their car and drive it on an everyday basis.

What happens if I unknowingly get clocked going over the limit or something similar? Obviously the car is in their name so any paperwork would head to their place. But as mentioned they are away for half a year and nobody will be tearing their letters open during that time.

Anything I can do (yes - I am trying to drive by the book) to make sure there is no fine lurking in the mail pile on their return?

Sure don't want to have any unanswered/unpaid fines turning into courtroom invites for them, and then their not showing up in court turning into a possible warrant, etc. (not sure if this works this way in Australia - it sure would in the US though).

goldchoccycoin Jun 3rd 2015 4:22 am

Re: Speeding tickets in QLD - car owner in NSW (and away for looong time)

Wouldn't it be a good idea to get all their mail redirected to you anyway? That way you can open anything that looks like it might need dealing with and there isn't a big pile of mail in their postbox to indicate they are away.

It's pretty reasonable cost-wise (at least in QLD).

Best of luck.

Alfresco Jun 3rd 2015 4:57 am

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin (Post 11664208)
Wouldn't it be a good idea to get all their mail redirected to you anyway? That way you can open anything that looks like it might need dealing with and there isn't a big pile of mail in their postbox to indicate they are away.

Best of luck.

Good suggestion. :thumbup:

neil248 Jun 3rd 2015 8:15 am

Hope the rego does not expire while they are away, the courts love that one.

Pollyana Jun 3rd 2015 8:33 am

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin (Post 11664208)

Best of luck.

That was my first thought actually, why isn't the mail being redirected? Would make sense over that length of time :)

astera Jun 4th 2015 1:15 am

Thanks, folks. They've already departed so I don't think I can set this up (especially since the mail I'm interested in would not be addressed to me) - maybe when they return I will push this forward for next time.

Originally Posted by neil248 (Post 11664349)
Hope the rego does not expire while they are away, the courts love that one.

What's this about? :)

xizzles Jun 4th 2015 3:35 am

Somesay, hearsay, anyhow say, that speed cameras can be tricked if the driver driving the car goes fast enough. Drive it like you stole it, astera, and you'll be fine :hysterical: - OK, OK, in the interest of full disclosure, I confess: that was meant to be a joke!

(there's been some rather cruel cuts/snips/censorship of late in the other subforums, so I don't want to be the next victim)

Swerv-o Jun 4th 2015 5:00 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11665403)
Somesay, hearsay, anyhow say, that speed cameras can be tricked if the driver driving the car goes fast enough. Drive it like you stole it, astera, and you'll be fine :hysterical: - OK, OK, in the interest of full disclosure, I confess: that was meant to be a joke!

(there's been some rather cruel cuts/snips/censorship of late in the other subforums, so I don't want to be the next victim)

I think Top Gear or Mythbusters investigated this - and while it was true, you had to be doing upwards of 200 mph for it to work...

S

Tr1boy Jun 4th 2015 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 11665435)
I think Top Gear or Mythbusters investigated this - and while it was true, you had to be doing upwards of 200 mph for it to work...

S

Much less IIRC, approx 130-140 mph for a fixed camera ( was a few years ago though)

Swerv-o Jun 4th 2015 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 11665442)
Much less IIRC, approx 130-140 mph for a fixed camera ( was a few years ago though)

No, faster than that - the Honda Civic did 129 mph and was still caught. Merc got pinged at 148, but the TVR Tuscan managed to avoid detection at 171 mph by the looks of things.

S

Tr1boy Jun 4th 2015 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 11665448)
No, faster than that - the Honda Civic did 129 mph and was still caught. Merc got pinged at 148, but the TVR Tuscan managed to avoid detection at 171 mph by the looks of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8

S

Oh right, my memory is hazy:o. The piece I remember was with a motorbike doing it?

Nothing to very worry me, I drive a Scenic:lol:

astera Jun 5th 2015 11:24 pm

I've heard of plastic coating, something like those privacy screens for laptops: look at the plate directly from behind and you see it, but move to the side and you don't. ;)

As for speed unfortunately I don't drive a F1 car but a big SUV. :) I have yet to take it above 120kph on Aussie roads...

ABCD...... Jun 6th 2015 10:10 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11663584)
For starters let me just state that I am a very careful driver who does not break the rules (at least not knowingly). :)

It is too easy to get done for speeding. I was done going UP the hill at Mt Coot-tha in a small engine car. No one believed the car could speed up that hill. But the limits are low, the radar is frequent, and the fines come to us.

I think you can get a phone number to contact and check at: https://www.sper.qld.gov.au/payment-...t-payments.php

Maybe the page called: "What if I don't act?" may be relevant though.

If you receive an enforcement order, but do not act on it by the due date, we may take one or more of the following enforcement actions against you:

refer your debts to an authorised debt collection agent
suspend your driver licence
direct your employer or financial institution to deduct funds from your pay or bank account
register an interest over your property
immobilise your vehicle
seize and sell your property
issue a warrant for your arrest and imprisonment.

astera Jun 7th 2015 6:48 am

Originally Posted by ABCD...... (Post 11667620)
It is too easy to get done for speeding. I was done going UP the hill at Mt Coot-tha in a small engine car. No one believed the car could speed up that hill. But the limits are low, the radar is frequent, and the fines come to us.

Thanks for the info. How much over the limit do you need to be to get clocked?

Also, how do they usually check your speed here? Do they just park their car somewhere on the side and just flip on the radar or do they clock people randomly whilst driving around?

Alfresco Jun 7th 2015 7:02 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11668280)
Thanks for the info. How much over the limit do you need to be to get clocked?

Also, how do they usually check your speed here? Do they just park their car somewhere on the side and just flip on the radar or do they clock people randomly whilst driving around?

Usually it is an SUV parked "harmlessly" on the side of the road with cameras in. The obligatory speed sign is always displayed on the side away from traffic flow.