Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Specials Enmore Theatre

The Specials Enmore Theatre

Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Nigel 2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Specials Enmore Theatre

Yep that's the one. The Coventry music scene was so incestuous we all played with everyone at some time or another. Great times, great memories.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex Coventry)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

AusS2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm glad I found this forum. Seems like nice people here.

I was just looking for reviews of The Specials first gig and found this site. And being an ex-pat I guess I qualify even if I left England when I was 4.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:21 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigel 2009
Terry didn't show, must have been too disturbed although his son Felix was there looking the spitting image of his dad in the Gangsters video. I was in Coventry during the 1970's and 80's and knew Terry, Rod, Horace and Lynval quite well. It was great to see them all (except Terry) for the first time in about 24 years. What was especially suprising was bumping into a guy called Colin Heanes who I also knew from Coventry and who now lives in Brisbane, he was the original drummer in the band King - remember them?

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)
We went to the Melbourne gig last night and it superb
The place was buzzing...great atmosphere.The band really sounded tight and didnt miss a beat.
We're from Cov and the missus knew a few of the group members from back in the days when they played the clubs,Tiffanys etc
It was fantastic to see my hometown group on the other side of the world
TOO MUCH TOO YOUNG !!!!

Lee
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:23 am
Just Joined

They still have it don't they? I know what you mean though, kinda weird seeing them on this side of the world all these years later. I remember Tiffany's well, saw many bands there and Mr Georges, General Wolfe, Dog and Trumpet etc. The music scene was so vibrant it was a great place to be at that time in history.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex Coventry)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

People don't believe I saw U2 at Leeds Tiffany's in 1981.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:39 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
People don't believe I saw U2 at Leeds Tiffany's in 1981.
liar liar bums on fire
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well it might be if I could get a decent curry in this town.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Mmmmmmm curry. (Preceeded by 14 pints).

Couldn't do that these days.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:15 pm
Auntie Fa

PS For any doubters http://www.u2gigs.com/show808.html

(Can't believe I found that on the www!)
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:26 am
Just Joined

AusS2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well it might be if I could get a decent curry in this town.
Seasider, you want Sri's at Narrabeen. Pittwater Rd, opposite corner of Ocean St.

My father and grandmother grew up in India with the British forces and swear it is the best they've tasted.

And you can get the pints (well schooners) at the Sands across the road.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:42 am
Auntie Fa

Thanks, AusS2000, will have to make a note of that and take a drive. Hmmm, this evening perhaps... Welcome, BTW.

I didn't really want to hijack the thread to talk curry - we have enough threads on the lack of decent Indian food in Oz - but I'm not that fussed for the 14 pints beforehand. I just want decent Indian food, not stuff designed purely for Pissed Up Poms with plastered tastebuds.

Anyway Enmore Theatre, wasn't it chuffing cold? But a good venue, I agree, and we've resolved to look up more gigs, as we realised how much we've missed them.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

I agree, I am certainly over the boozing these days - just reminiscing. Too many responsibilities now and too many hangovers then.

I too was surprised about how cold it was in the Enmore but wow I'm still buzzing. What a great night, I wish I could have gone down to Melbourne as well.

I have a lot of disappointed friends back in Coventry, all jealous of me for getting to see them when they missed out because the UK gigs sold out so fast.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Hey Lee,

Do you or your good lady remember any of the other Cov bands? Like Urge, Squad, The Wild Boys, 21 Guns etc etc etc.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:55 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Nigel 2009
Hey Lee,

Do you or your good lady remember any of the other Cov bands? Like Urge, Squad, The Wild Boys, 21 Guns etc etc etc.

Nigel Mulvey
Sydney (ex-Coventry)
No sorry mate never heard of any of those infact 'the specials' were big when i was just a kid but i do remember walking around Coventry market and loads of stalls were selling harrington jackets
I do remember 'King' and at the moment 'The enemy' are really big so its not all dead back home on the music scene.

lee