Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1-way flights from London to Melbourne - which route is best for kids

1-way flights from London to Melbourne - which route is best for kids

Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:35 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default 1-way flights from London to Melbourne - which route is best for kids

I've just been searching for 1-way flights from London to Melbourne. For 2 adults and 2 children, there are several fares coming up in the £1,650'ish range all-in.

We can either go via Dubai, Singapore or Hong Kong but the various web-sites don't make is plain how much time you spend in the air for each given leg of the journey.

Given that we have kids (3 & 4) that will need to be entertained, should we be favouring one particular route over another (or indeed one airline over another) or is it best to just get the cheapest deal we can find?

- CDM
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: 1-way flights from London to Melbourne - which route is best for kids

hi,
weve just booked for 20 aug, going with singapore air, london - singapore on the big airbus, i think we have 4 hours in singapore then off to melbourne, total cost was about 1300 for the 3 of us 2 adults and 1 child (4), i searched a few threads on here and found different opininons, some say get it out of the way others say over somewhere, anyway thats what weve booked. we also got the extra allowance for being on a migrant visa.
john
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:49 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1-way flights from London to Melbourne - which route is best for kids

Originally Posted by johnknight001
hi,
weve just booked for 20 aug, going with singapore air, london - singapore on the big airbus, i think we have 4 hours in singapore then off to melbourne, total cost was about 1300 for the 3 of us 2 adults and 1 child (4), i searched a few threads on here and found different opininons, some say get it out of the way others say over somewhere, anyway thats what weve booked. we also got the extra allowance for being on a migrant visa.
john
That actually sounds pretty good. We have just been debating about how much time to look for in a layover because we have kids and we'll want time to have a relaxing meal (in so far as that will be possible with kids).

Where did you book your flights? I've found that looking at the web-sites of the carriers themselves tends to bring up higher prices.

We've also been wondering whether to spend a few days on a layover in a nice hotel with a pool somewhere but given the time difference and the jet-lag, I think we'll need a good 5-6 days or more even to make it worth while from a relaxation point of view. Am I alone in thiking this?

- CDM
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:05 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I know I always prefer to get my jet lag out of the way in one hit, rather than two. A stop over is fine for some, but providing I can get a shower, a meal and a stretch of legs I'm always happy to go straight through.

Remember that there are paid lounge facilities in most of the gateway airports for Asia/Pacific carriers. Showers, food and drinks usually included in a single entry price. Makes 3 hours in airport almost nice.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:12 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
I know I always prefer to get my jet lag out of the way in one hit, rather than two. A stop over is fine for some, but providing I can get a shower, a meal and a stretch of legs I'm always happy to go straight through.

Remember that there are paid lounge facilities in most of the gateway airports for Asia/Pacific carriers. Showers, food and drinks usually included in a single entry price. Makes 3 hours in airport almost nice.
I wasn't aware of these paid lounges. What does it cost to get into these lounges?

Whenever we've connected through a given airport, there have always been places to grab a bite to eat so how does this differ from what's on offer in these lounges?

- CDM

Last edited by CDM; Jul 12th 2009 at 8:13 pm. Reason: Slight wording correction
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Recently flew London - Melbourne - Canberra with a 20 monther and went straight through with just a refuelling stop. Wouldnt do it any other way, get it over and done with in one hit. The kids arent going to remember stopping and seeing stuff anyway. We left late at night and were pretty much all asleep before wheels up and we all woke up just before we touched down in Singapore. With an hour for refuelling that's time to walk the concourse and admire the orchids then it isnt as long down to Melbourne and we all had a good sleep on that leg as well.

They will feed you on the plane so you probably wont need much to eat in transit although it is good to go to a loo where you arent cramped and where the floor is going up and down!

I think the actual flight time is shorter through Singapore - usually about 19 or 20 hours in the air.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would just take the cheapest option. You will be fraught and knackered when you arrive what ever you do so, imo, its best to just go for it and do your relaxing and enjoying when you arrive.

I have travelled a lot with the kids and flown to Australia twice and to be honest, I don't think it will make any difference which route you take. It depends on how the kids are feeling on that particular day. Fingers crossed they are feeling happy and not cranky and your flights should go very well.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

leighdon is an unknown quantity at this point

Air asia do great deals to kuala lumpur and then on to goldcoast, perth or melbourne.
The most costly part is from London to KL.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I wasn't aware of these paid lounges. What does it cost to get into these lounges?

Whenever we've connected through a given airport, there have always been places to grab a bite to eat so how does this differ from what's on offer in these lounges?

- CDM
Have a look here:

http://www.plaza-ppl.com/

I think I paid about A$25 for 3 hours in the KL lounge. That gets you shower facilities (towels & smellies supplied), beer on tap, soft drinks and whatever food is in the lounge - generally a pretty limited selection - & a 10 minute massage.

It's generally just a nicer place to spend a few hours than doing a circuit of the shops.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I would choose a Singapore airport over Dubai airport, it has a lot of entertainment and food, coffee shops etc, and a fair bit of interest scattered about. Dubai seemed to be only shops and hardly any chairs, lots of people exhausted and sleeping or sitting on the floor! They def want you to shop and not sit! I have not flown through Hong Kong before. But I would say of all the airports I have been to, Changi is the best!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Our experience - get here as soon as you can. Being tired will happen whatever the length of flight, and for us and all my travels, Singapore a great stopp off airport. Grab a shower at either of the hotels or clubs at the ends of the terminal (family showers exist as well), and it makes you all feel refreshed. Costs very minor compared to everything else.

As for flight lengths, there are really only two ways - 7 hours, stop then 14 hours, or 14 hours, stop, then 7. Singapore will be the latter, so we went for a midday flight, meaning the kids were awake for a lot of the journey but were tired for the rest and slpet then and on the second short leg.

Dubai will be the first option - 7 then 14 hours, as an example.

For us, with 4, 2 and 9 month old, SIA were great, via Sinagpore, a short layover.

Air Asia with kids - would not recommend - will be cheap but airport is miles from anywhere, not much entertainment on board, cramped sets and you will have to get your luggage and recheck in again for the second leg - not nice with kids and a major hassle...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Air Asia with kids - would not recommend - will be cheap but airport is miles from anywhere
Agreed. The low cost terminal at KL is definitelty NOT the place to spend a long layover - there is virtually nothing there - so unless your kids will be entertained by spending several hours sitting in McDonalds - forget it!

Having said that there is now a super cheap hotel just off the terminal - it's a bit like Air Asia itself - pay for all extras - even towels and A/C!! But they have good beds and for a long stopver would be a good option.

http://www.tunehotels.com/LCCTTransi..._Malaysia.aspx

Rates start at...bugger all!!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:30 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Carrier Terminal and hotels near it: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1234787

I'd be tempted to plough straight through, it's gonna be hell either way!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Go via Hong Kong, spend a day at Disneyland to break the journey up.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:18 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
Go via Hong Kong, spend a day at Disneyland to break the journey up.
What do we do with our bags whilst we head off to Disney? We'll have quite a hoard of luggage with us.

Another problem that has just dawned on me is that if we break up the journey, we are then buying 2 separate flights instead of 1. I'm guessing this is going to be a lot more expensive and also that we'll not be able to take advantage of emigration allowances for additional luggage?

- CDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.