Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spa/Swimming pool thread.....

Spa/Swimming pool thread.....

Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice
Default Re: Spa/Swimming pool thread.....

Just had to answer some of the questions, I have managed pools up to 33m x 8 lanes.

If it were I looking to build a pool or/and a spa I would…

Design my pool/ spa so that the water would be heated via a solar panel array that should make the pool/spa usable all the year round and cut down considerably on the running costs.

I could use an air source or ground source heat pump to heat the water that would be even more effective. In fact the ground source heat pump would heat the water for the house as well.

A sand filter is far more efficient at cleaning the water but does use water which goes to waste during a back wash however this is not a bad thing as topping up with fresh water keeps the total dissolved solids down to a reasonable level.

I would not hand dose the pool but would use a metering pump so as to keep a consistent balance.

I would design my pool so as to incorporate a water jet/spa pool section using the same treated and heated water. (Cheaper than buying and running one).

I would build a really good pool and stretch my budget, as I would only want to build it the once.

If you can wait I will arrive in Perth next year and I will build it for you (at a price).
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Have started another thread on Spa's and swimming pools, as for some reason the last one was closed

Just wondering if anyone has had a pool or spa installed over winter?

Would be great to see some piccies

I'm still interested in getting a spa eventually, but I think Air con comes first

Also wondering, has anyone bought one of those portable/blow up spas, and what do you think of them?

hi here is some pics of our pool it was $27000 but doing all paving and landscaping myself
Attached Thumbnails Spa/Swimming pool thread.....-rob-work-049.jpg   Spa/Swimming pool thread.....-rob-work-066.jpg   Spa/Swimming pool thread.....-rob-work-062.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:02 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

We have an 8 seater spa and are having a concrete pool fitted next month at $25k including excavation, landscaping $5k ish extra, 7 metres by 3.....
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Just wanted to add.. we have spent a lovely day on the gold coast, at the beach 6.30am , shopping and lunch out in between, just got out of the spa... and oh has handed me my second glass of bubbly and has lit the barbecue.. Feels like i'm in heaven...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:04 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
we were supposed to be putting a pool in over winter - didn't quite happen that way though

I'm hoping it's a bit like childbirth and all the pain we went through starts to fade with time
Hello, Haven't seen you for ages. How you doing?

Can't believe it's 2 years in Oz for us now! Doesn't time fly!

For anyone else wondering.... We were visa buddies, and got them more or less the same time...We had a thread going for all the people who applied in November. It seems like yonks ago now

Is that your pool on your avatar? It looks gorgeous. Did you have problems?

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Oct 5th 2008 at 12:10 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

it certainly does - has flown by really. Definitely a lot harder than I thought it was going to be but have absolutely no intention of going back. Have applied for citizenship now - have you ?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:26 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smilz
Just had to answer some of the questions, I have managed pools up to 33m x 8 lanes.

If it were I looking to build a pool or/and a spa I would…

Design my pool/ spa so that the water would be heated via a solar panel array that should make the pool/spa usable all the year round and cut down considerably on the running costs.
Even with solar heating you wouldn't be able to use it all year round, as it does get quite chilly here sometimes.

I could use an air source or ground source heat pump to heat the water that would be even more effective. In fact the ground source heat pump would heat the water for the house as well.
Same thing, still not usable all year round, and could be expensive to run

A sand filter is far more efficient at cleaning the water but does use water which goes to waste during a back wash however this is not a bad thing as topping up with fresh water keeps the total dissolved solids down to a reasonable level.
Just out of curiosity, and as you seem to know a lot about pools, what do you do in the UK?

I would not hand dose the pool but would use a metering pump so as to keep a consistent balance.
balance in what?

I would design my pool so as to incorporate a water jet/spa pool section using the same treated and heated water. (Cheaper than buying and running one).
Some spas cost as little as 50c a day to run, so I wouldn't see it as that expensive.

I would build a really good pool and stretch my budget, as I would only want to build it the once.
Whatever the quality of the pool, you would still have to replace or re-furbish it at some point, as no pool would last forever...

If you can wait I will arrive in Perth next year and I will build it for you (at a price).
What sort of pool would you suggest? Concrete, fibreglass, liner, above ground, below ground?

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Oct 5th 2008 at 12:33 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by walla
We have an 8 seater spa and are having a concrete pool fitted next month at $25k including excavation, landscaping $5k ish extra, 7 metres by 3.....
Lurvely....Just in time for the summer
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ohippy
it certainly does - has flown by really. Definitely a lot harder than I thought it was going to be but have absolutely no intention of going back. Have applied for citizenship now - have you ?
I will do when we get back from U.K, as we are setting off this Saturday for 3 weeks. Back to lovely English weather

Is that your pool then, or your dream pool?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:33 pm

Anybody else got any nice piccies of their pool
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:54 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Anybody else got any nice piccies of their pool
Ours was "finished" Friday after over 4 months waiting on permits etc.

Because we live in the hills, our block is heavily sloped and you need a permit to build, and because our land is classified as landslip grade 2, we needed soil tests, deetailed plans etc etc to keep the local shire happy. We had planned on late November to be finished, but as it turned out the permit wasnt granted until 2 weeks ago :curse:

We used Leisure Pools, and I can do nothing but highly recommend them on everything they have done.

The pool is 10.5m x 4.4m. Spa nook, lighting, solar heating.

The pool & all equipment including solar blanket, creepy crawly & solar heating came to approx $42k. I think just the pool itself (installed) was about $34k.

Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:10 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone in Melbourne is looking at getting a pool, as I already mentioned, Leisure pools where excellent. Because the permit took so long, they guaranteed us that as soon as the permit was granted, they would start the dig immediately. The permit was granted on a Thursday afternoon. They started the dig on the Tuesday, and where finished 11 days later.

We have yet to put down the paving, but we have spent many hours scouring the internet & visiting various companies, and we finally came across these guys : http://http://www.sandstonepaving.com.au/ and their prices where far cheaper than anybody else ($35.00 p.m2 instead of $50.00 !!) and the pool guy has seen their work & product and told us they where excellent.

Heres a few pics of before & during the dig

Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:34 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We purchased a blow up spa on New Years Eve.

We have used it quite a bit and taken a while to work out how to maintain balances etc with the help of the local spa/pool shop.

We bought it at KMart for $400 reduced from $600. It heats up to 38 degrees and came with a lockable zip up top and has been a good learning curve for novice owners like us.

Last edited by Spellbound; Feb 21st 2009 at 10:40 pm. Reason: Include an Image but its not showing!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by furkew
If anyone in Melbourne is looking at getting a pool, as I already mentioned, Leisure pools where excellent. Because the permit took so long, they guaranteed us that as soon as the permit was granted, they would start the dig immediately. The permit was granted on a Thursday afternoon. They started the dig on the Tuesday, and where finished 11 days later.

We have yet to put down the paving, but we have spent many hours scouring the internet & visiting various companies, and we finally came across these guys : http://http://www.sandstonepaving.com.au/ and their prices where far cheaper than anybody else ($35.00 p.m2 instead of $50.00 !!) and the pool guy has seen their work & product and told us they where excellent.

Heres a few pics of before & during the dig

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm191/furkew2/2.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm191/furkew2/37.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm191/furkew2/40.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...5022009076.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/100_1546.jpg
Looks gorgeous Furkew, is that the 'Moroccan' pool?

You got it just in time for the rest of the summer anyway, enjoy
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Spellbound
We purchased a blow up spa on New Years Eve.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HG0m7Y4yGn...h/DSCF0628.JPG

We have used it quite a bit and taken a while to work out how to maintain balances etc with the help of the local spa/pool shop.

We bought it at KMart for $400 reduced from $600. It heats up to 38 degrees and came with a lockable zip up top and has been a good learning curve for novice owners like us.
That's a good idea, I never thought of buying one of those, as a practice for a full size spa. I think we might get one.

I never noticed any of them in our Kmart. They must sell different items in different Kmart stores.

Shame you couldn't get the picture to work, as it would have been interesting to see what it was like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.