Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:25 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

Originally Posted by viviennef
Re: the racist t-shirts. I am sure they are here but in 6 1/2 years I haven't seen one. I lived in sydney for a couple of years but perhaps not in that kind of area . I find most Australians to be very very friendly, weird but friendly.

My husband works away a lot and my neighbours all help me carry things from the car, offer to mow my lawn, pick up those bloody aggravating newspapers they keep throwing on my grass etc. I lost my dog and nearly the whole place came out to help me find him, they all know my children's names etc.

Re: the sun - I have to remember the sunscreen with the kids - my little girl has a brown mark in her hair, like a mole on the parting. I keep forgetting to ask my GP - do people usually go there or to one of those skin clinic things?

My dad had skin cancer all over his bald head from working in Saudi and S Africa. Its not a good look

Viv
i'm not sure whether the skin cancer places are free for everyone- i have been away too long to know, and had to pay when i went, as i am not on medicare...
come to think of it, if i had medicare, i could have claimed some back.
my parents got to go free of charge though, and they had this and that burnt off...pre-cancerous things...nice...

scalp is a common place for skin cancer and often goes unnoticed, so as a hairdresser, i always made people aware of the position of moles on their scalp so they could keep an eye on it.
the mole on your daughters head is most likely a mole, but there is no harm in keeping a regular eye on it so that if there ever is changes in colour, size shape etc, you catch it quickly...
maybe ask the gp when you go next?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

Originally Posted by chocciecake
i'm not sure whether the skin cancer places are free for everyone- i have been away too long to know, and had to pay when i went, as i am not on medicare...
Our local one charges $50 for the first visit, from which we get back about $30, but then every visit thereafter is free, as they bulk bill.

We normally go every 12 months, but sometimes he says come back in 3 or 6 months, to recheck something a bit sooner.

Having a regular check does mean they are able to treat any cancer very quickly.