Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice
Default some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

Hi everyone.....read a lot of posts from those in UK coming here for a life out in the sun....

the current sun awareness campaign in Queensland hopefully will make you very sun aware.....before you head to Oz.

here is link to website.....please watch the videos under campaign materials......not to scare just make aware......seen too many results of the sun in my work.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/sunsafe...de_tanning.asp
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:22 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some info for those coming down under for the sunshine

Yes, it's a serious issue but you can enjoy the sun and warmth AND be sensible. You won't catch me out in the middle of the day unless I'm in the shade and the four of us all wear factor 30+, hats and sunnies and none of this skimpy beach gear- rash tops (and shorts for kids) etc. I know it's hotter here but the sunshine seems less ferocious than in NZ somehow.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

As i said be aware and do not be the ones doing lobster impressions on the beach or in the park

always make sure hats t shirts etc are cancer council approved for sun protection....sun penetrates a lot of the cheaper fabrics when in the sun for a few hours......make sure they have an SPF number

also to bear in mind to watch what sunscreens you are using and look at the labels......some are not protecting your body as much as we might think......and may be causing other long term damage.....

http://www.novazine.com.au/article_a...csunscreen.htm
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Since coming to Oz (6 months) getting a tan seems as bad as smoking 40 a day. You cannot get much less than 30+ spf cream.

We are sensible, use cream, but still turning brown slowly ( never lobster pink). You can enjoy it and get a tan, just be sensible.

I used to go to Spain, Greece etc on 15 spf and never get burnt. Might be lucky, but I don't think so. I am not saying it is not a real problem, it is, but we came over partly for the sun and hiding away from it to obsessive levels can be just as unhealthy. Not suggesting you do, but lots of houses have blinds down all the time and we rarely see people sat outside.

We like the sunny hot weather and enjoy it in a sensible way, so can you !
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:34 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be factor 30ing and hat wearing. I have read ages ago one here about the long lasting products but I have not used any in UK - I remember there were issues eg staining clothes which doesn't bother me (what a tramp). Do they work if you have sweated a lot?

Cooler
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:46 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is not just about burning though- it's about lifetime exposure as well so I'm keen to reduce that- especially for my kids. There's truth that some seem to go OTT wrg to avoiding sun exposure, and that's not healthy, but if you're the sort of family that likes to be outside then that's not going to be an issue here in the Southern Hemisphere.

coolerkingcooler- there are "all day" products (or at least I noticed them in NZ) but price wise they were mental.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Great post, I bought our factor 40 at Boots last week before we fly out !
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:01 am
Just Joined

suanne is an unknown quantity at this point

hi , suanne here and i'm new today.to all brits thinking of migrating to oz.it's the best place in the world to live. sandy beaches, parks and gardens great friendly people and lots of social clubs for brits so they don't get homesick. jobs ARE available if you really look and rents are high but so are wages.if you're on a pension you can bring all or part of your english pension with you supplemented by an oz pension. on an aged pension you can get rent allowance too. there's reduction in train and bus fares for pensioners and medicare takes care of the medical bills. schools are great and there's agreat selection to choose from ,eg... catholic, lutheran aussie etc,aussies are laid back people and nothing fazes us.we love people to come and live here just be yourselves and read up on our lingo (language) we use slang alot too. so instead of saying how are you today we say '' oweryagoin? '' that's ow_er-ya-goin. gidday is the usual greeting we give to everyone and if you pronounce it as it's spelt, you'll be right mate. by the way this week the weather is going to be 40 plus celcius , but it's usually about 30-35c . love to hear from anyone thinking of migrating to my wonderful country....suanne

Last edited by suanne; Jan 28th 2009 at 12:03 am. Reason: left out some info
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suanne
if you're on a pension you can bring all or part of your english pension with you supplemented by an oz pension.

No you can't.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:24 am
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suanne
we love people to come and live here just be yourselves
Yea, just see all those slogan on t shirts and face paint on Australia day down in Manly "F**k of Lebs", "We grew here You flew here", "F**k off we're full", This is Australia. We eat meat, we drink beer, and we speak f***kin English"......
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever pension you are due in UK will be paid here to you however it will not be increased from the day you access it. No indexation. Only US Brits have their pensions indexed, bone of contention with Canadian and Aus ex pats. We get a pension from UK and a part pension here in Aus. They adjust the Aus pension to take into account UK pension though. So if you were receiving full pension like my Mum then when she gets her UK pension they adjust it.

Centrelink and UK are linked.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:08 am
Just Joined

davyjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pingpong
Yea, just see all those slogan on t shirts and face paint on Australia day down in Manly "F**k of Lebs", "We grew here You flew here", "F**k off we're full", This is Australia. We eat meat, we drink beer, and we speak f***kin English"......

Wow that doesnt sound too inviting for a new arrival.... I mean, I eat meat and drink beer so I should be ok?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davyjones
Wow that doesnt sound too inviting for a new arrival.... I mean, I eat meat and drink beer so I should be ok?
There is a race problem down that area. You are unlikely to find that level of abuse in the majority of areas around Aus.

What's this and the pension thing got to do with being cancer aware
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
I'll be factor 30ing and hat wearing. I have read ages ago one here about the long lasting products but I have not used any in UK - I remember there were issues eg staining clothes which doesn't bother me (what a tramp). Do they work if you have sweated a lot?

Cooler
My OH always ended up looking like a lobster, even after only a day or so. It didn't matter what SPF cream he used, and one time he was really ill. Now he always uses P20 which is one of those long lasting sun protection thingys. He has never burned since wherever we have been, (including Aussie). It was recommended to him by a doctor friend and he now swears by it. It is meant to last for up to 6 (or is it 8?) hours, including when you have been swimming, so presumably would not be affected by sweating?!

You can get it at airports or places like Superdrug or Wilkinson's in the UK (but our local Boots don't have it!)

Not sure if it works for everyone, but it certainly does for him

Lou
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie4me
My OH always ended up looking like a lobster, even after only a day or so. It didn't matter what SPF cream he used, and one time he was really ill. Now he always uses P20 which is one of those long lasting sun protection thingys. He has never burned since wherever we have been, (including Aussie). It was recommended to him by a doctor friend and he now swears by it. It is meant to last for up to 6 (or is it 8?) hours, including when you have been swimming, so presumably would not be affected by sweating?!

You can get it at airports or places like Superdrug or Wilkinson's in the UK (but our local Boots don't have it!)

Not sure if it works for everyone, but it certainly does for him

Lou
Not sold here because a) it's only factor 20 and b) it's not advisable to rely on one application a day. If you're out in the sun for any length of time here, you should be applying factor 30+ 3 or 4 times in a day and still covering up. As the QLD health ad says - a tan is NOT healthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.