Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somalis in Perth

Somalis in Perth

Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Somalis in Perth

Am I right in thinking there is a sizeable Somali population in Perth ?

I have just read there are a few thousand ?

It's just that I am originally from Cardiff, which has a large Somali population, so I am able to appreciate all that they bring to an area.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somalis in Perth

Originally Posted by elmtree

It's just that I am originally from Cardiff, which has a large Somali population, so I am able to appreciate all that they bring to an area.
Just out of interest, what exactly do they bring to the area ?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

A different culture and a different outlook.

Diversity.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

A different culture and a different outlook.

Diversity.
But that can be said for any other race or religion that lives in an area and is very general.

What do they bring/offer, in your opinion, that is different to any other ???
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:10 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, mainly in Mirrabooka and surrounds, NOR.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:12 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
But that can be said for any other race or religion that lives in an area and is very general.

What do they bring/offer, in your opinion, that is different to any other ???
They have the best postures I've ever seen, graceful and straight as a stick, just beautiful.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walla
They have the best postures I've ever seen, graceful and straight as a stick, just beautiful.
Does that include the Women ???
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Australia takes many immigrants and refugees from somalia and indeed Africa in general. Not sure if people in the UK are entirely aware of that tho

Last week the gov announced it wants to build aussie tafes in africa, so I assume the intake is significant. There was a bit of uproar from the opposition as they claim 300,000 aussie kids cant get a place in tafe so dont know if it will happen.

Seen lots of Somali or ethopian families in brisbane, one of the tafes was doing a course for volunteers who want to teach english to speakers of other languages, free if people will volunteer their services.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla

Long and elegant indeed, some of the children I have seen in brisbane are beautiful. Must admit I thought they will fit into australia well, very athletic, probably very sporty, used to hot climate, on the sporty side I think australia with its huge funding for sport will in 10 years have these kids competing for australia. Good on them, they deserve a chance after what many have been through.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't mention race or religion. I mentioned a nationality.

Cardiff's old Somali population arrived in the late 1800's/early 1900's and were mostly sailors and their families who came to work on the coal ships. They are well assimilated into the community.

For the newer Somali arrivals, it appears that they will take some time to assimilate, which is probably because of the current, difficult state of the country they left.

I was just curious to know if there are any concentrations of them, and where.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:30 pm
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Does that include the Women ???
Yes, mainly.

Most of the men have been tortured or wounded and have lost limbs, so unfortunately don't have the same postures.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:31 pm
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Long and elegant indeed, some of the children I have seen in brisbane are beautiful. Must admit I thought they will fit into australia well, very athletic, probably very sporty, used to hot climate, on the sporty side I think australia with its huge funding for sport will in 10 years have these kids competing for australia. Good on them, they deserve a chance after what many have been through.
Amen to that
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I didn't mention race or religion. I mentioned a nationality.

Cardiff's old Somali population arrived in the late 1800's/early 1900's and were mostly sailors and their families who came to work on the coal ships. They are well assimilated into the community.

For the newer Somali arrivals, it appears that they will take some time to assimilate, which is probably because of the current, difficult state of the country they left.

and I was just curious to know what you meant by "I know what they can bring to an area"...............so far posture is it ??? Clearly you've never met a natural Somali Woman !

And being from the UK I am aware of how many are going to Australia and I'm sure Australia will benefit. Somalians are very clever indeed.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Housing policy for government housing or assistance schemes is not like the UK council housing schemes. Housing comission or homes west type schemes buy into ANY area, any estate, any place.

As such you will find immigrants will be placed in a variety of locations if government housing assistance applies. If not they probably look for the same things as the english immigrants.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mally Lass, you are right; Somalis are very clever. They seem to know how to get what they want from their host country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.